Advice on my current situation?

BeanyBeany Member Posts: 177
Hi All,

I am currently working for a small-medium broadband company as their 'Sec Solutions Architect' and have had this role for the last 6 months. This was my first role in security coming from a programming background (11 years). I wanted a change and moved to Cyber Sec.

My current role roughly does the following:

- QA all Cyber Security proposals
- Write up proposal and RFP's for new/existing clients through meetings etc.
- Write up of SOWs (statement of work)
- Picking up high knowledge of all our security sectors etc

I am currently due to start my Security + plus course and hoping to complete this course/exam mid year.

But i feel like i'm not doing enough or learning enough. My role is interesting but not sure if i'm picking up the real skills in Security? What are your thoughts?

Does my role give me a good chance in the market or do i need to self study and pick up on other skills? If so, what skills/courses would you recommend doing that will allow me to stay relevant in Security? In Security, which sector should i look into that has a bright future and good pay?

I was more technical and hands on when i was doing programming but now it feels like i'm not doing enough.

Your responses will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    You have only been there 6 months! You don't think you are going to gain any more knowledge there? If not, set up a lab at home and practice,get some books, read up. After a year at this job, reevaluate if you want to move on, then start sending out resumes.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think I would ride it out for at least year. These are my initial thoughts.

Depends on your objectives... Based purely on finance you are on well on your way to making good money with this career route. But..... If you don't like it or want to do something else than you may have to look to transition eventually.

This is what solution architecture is about. SOW, RFI/RFP's.....

Your call!
  • BeanyBeany Member Posts: 177
    I think I would ride it out for at least year. These are my initial thoughts.

Depends on your objectives... Based purely on finance you are on well on your way to making good money with this career route. But..... If you don't like it or want to do something else than you may have to look to transition eventually.

This is what solution architecture is about. SOW, RFI/RFP's.....

Your call!

Thanks for your reply.

SA is it valuable in the market? Or just a step up to better jobs in security?

I want to stay in security and will up my skills at home. What kind of stuff could I study that will be valuable in Security? Splunk?

Thanks
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Generally speaking, architect > engineer > administrator > technician.

Having that word architect in your title puts you on the high part of the totem pole.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    My .02... you're in a good role (from the way you described it, not factoring in pay, satisfaction, commute, etc.) I say that, because you are learning project management skills, which I feel are invaluable, and will definitely help you later on in your career. Like yoba222 said, you already have a leg up over people who do more, with less title. And title isn't everything, obviously, but it absolutely helps when you get ready to move on to different roles and positions and move up.

There's nothing wrong with studying for Sec+, all learning is good. As far as real skills - it depends on what you want to do. You lucked out and skipped several lower titles such as technician, analyst, etc., but if that's your heart's desire, you'll need at some point to become familiar with tools, especially blue team ones.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • BeanyBeany Member Posts: 177
    colemic wrote: »
    My .02... you're in a good role (from the way you described it, not factoring in pay, satisfaction, commute, etc.) I say that, because you are learning project management skills, which I feel are invaluable, and will definitely help you later on in your career. Like yoba222 said, you already have a leg up over people who do more, with less title. And title isn't everything, obviously, but it absolutely helps when you get ready to move on to different roles and positions and move up.

There's nothing wrong with studying for Sec+, all learning is good. As far as real skills - it depends on what you want to do. You lucked out and skipped several lower titles such as technician, analyst, etc., but if that's your heart's desire, you'll need at some point to become familiar with tools, especially blue team ones.

Agree, I just feel like I'm not doing enough :)

Maybe I'll just increase my skills in SIEM and Splunk.

What other courses can I do that hold great value in the market?

Are Solution Architect roles quite common? Tbh never knew these roles existed before I got the job. I was under the impression that the architect type of roles were way way up... Maybe I got lucky.

What route would you guys take after being a SA for a few years? Out of interest.

Thanks