Might as well make it 3?

detroitwillfalldetroitwillfall Member Posts: 85 ■■■□□□□□□□
Evening all, its been awhile since I have been on here.. Currently I have my A+(801/802) from 2014 & Net+(006) from 2016 that will need to be renewed June 2019. I am not going to lie, the Network+ took me 2 tries to pass and was difficult for me. Since then I have been working as a Desktop Associate and am just looking to stay sharp on my IT Skills and of course further my learning/certification for advancement. I am considering purchasing the Testout DoD bundle and starting from A+ up to SEC+, and keep my materials very light for this entire process. I would love to take the year from now to re-familiarize myself with the newer material, and of course be confident and ready to take the Sys-501 by early spring next year. Looking for some suggestions/materials some of you wonderful IT Pros have come across :)

Comments

• mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I would take the Security+ to renew the other two certs. It's very doable with 2mo of study time. (unless you want to stay in desktop) I don't think the exam objectives change that much with newer versions.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• detroitwillfalldetroitwillfall Member Posts: 85 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mikey88 wrote: »
    I would take the Security+ to renew the other two certs. It's very doable with 2mo of study time. (unless you want to stay in desktop) I don't think the exam objectives change that much with newer versions.

Definitely will take Sec+ to renew, but for the price of $350 for a single course as opposed to $500 for the 3 and the ability to take time to go back over the 10%+ newer material from A+ & Net+ respectively, it just seemed worth mentioning.

I just want at least my Network knowledge to be solid before going to Sec+, I am not so much worried about the hardware stuff.

A year timeline was just the max period I have until both certs expire so thats why I gave that. :)
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    There is like 5% networking in Sec+. Did you figure out your career track yet and what you want to specialize in? Based on your older version certs, I assume you have a solid 3-4yrs of experience. Personally, I would knock out Sec+ quickly and move on from CompTIA.

I know a 20yr old kid making 80k with a CCNA and 2yrs of experience. Don't get stranded and look out for yourself. Good luck.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

mikey88 wrote: »
    There is like 5% networking in Sec+. Did you figure out your career track yet and what you want to specialize in? Based on your older version certs, I assume you have a solid 3-4yrs of experience. Personally, I would knock out Sec+ quickly and move on from CompTIA.

I know a 20yr old kid making 80k with a CCNA and 2yrs of experience. Don't get stranded and look out for yourself. Good luck.

I will go back through the A+ & Net+ material from testout, and then fully commit to studying for Sec+. Im thinking the Mike Meyers all-in-one book Sys-501, Testout, and professor messer, maybe some exam cram or practice tests to sprinkle on there.

I actually started my role as a desktop technician in august so have been working 8 months. My goal is to just become solid as a technician but obviously want to specialize into maybe national team for security.

CCNA i hear those Cisco certs are where its at, I might be able to go back to a trade school for that..

Was thinking going all the way through CASP for CompTIA, (pentest+/CySA+ included)
    I will go back through the A+ & Net+ material from testout, and then fully commit to studying for Sec+. Im thinking the Mike Meyers all-in-one book Sys-501, Testout, and professor messer, maybe some exam cram or practice tests to sprinkle on there.

I actually started my role as a desktop technician in august so have been working 8 months. My goal is to just become solid as a technician but obviously want to specialize into maybe national team for security.

CCNA i hear those Cisco certs are where its at, I might be able to go back to a trade school for that..

Was thinking going all the way through CASP for CompTIA, (pentest+/CySA+ included)

I am going to use the following..

TestOut Sec+ Labsims: Security Pro

Mike Meyers kindle book: https://www.amazon.com/Meyers-CompTIA-Security-Certification-SY0-501-ebook/dp/B077XRBX1P/ref=mt_kindle?_encoding=UTF8&me=

AND/OR

Darill Gibsons SYS 501 "Get Ahead kindle book: https://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Security-Get-Certified-Ahead-ebook/dp/B07652KDXM/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1522970727&sr=8-1
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What do you do now when you don't know the meaning of a word? Do you go back and reread the entire textbook from an English class?

Don't review A+ and Network+. Just move forward with Security+ material. If during your Security+ studies you hit a learning wall due to material you recognize from the older certs, then review just that one part and proceed forward again.

EDIT: Labsims stuff might be a good idea, if you never did them the first time around. I just obtained the CySA+ a couple of days ago, with an A+ in 2012. I definitely did not review anything A+.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
    yoba222 wrote: »
    What do you do now when you don't know the meaning of a word? Do you go back and reread the entire textbook from an English class?

Don't review A+ and Network+. Just move forward with Security+ material. If during your Security+ studies you hit a learning wall due to material you recognize from the older certs, then review just that one part and proceed forward again.

EDIT: Labsims stuff might be a good idea, if you never did them the first time around. I just obtained the CySA+ a couple of days ago, with an A+ in 2012. I definitely did not review anything A+.

I completely understand and agree with what you said...Its just been 2 years since I passed my Net+ and really have had to utilize anything that I can recall as a desktop associate.

I want to atleast maybe brush up on cybrary or take some practice tests/quizes to see where my areas of weakness are and note them.

Then I will fully commit to Sec+

Outside of the materials I listed, are the aforementioned pretty good resources for Sec+?
  • Randy_RandersonRandy_Randerson Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you have passed Net+ and A+, I think you're ready to go for Sec+. I would pick up the Exam Cram book myself. It is much easier to go through and read...and the questions will get you in the mindset. Hit it hard for 3-4 hours a day and I have no doubt in my mind you'll be ready for this test!
  • SquishedSquished Member Posts: 191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Personally I would never let any exams expire just to get a better deal on the retakes. Use Sec+ to get the CEU's and maintain your other certifications. Take it from someone who let exams expire and now have to retake them to recertify. Never again.
    [2018] - A+ 901 (PASS), A+ 902 (PASS), Project+ (PASS), Security+ (PASS), Network+(PASS), CySA, Cloud+
    [2018] - MBA - IT Management - WGU (PASS)

HR: “What if we train them and they leave?”
    ME: “What if we don’t train them and they stay?”