CIPP/E Advice

Comments

• tallen67tallen67 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • AlwaysStudyingAlwaysStudying Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks Lizette -appreciated...
  • PunxPhilPunxPhil Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for this. But WOW that is more like the entire book in bullet points rather than an outline.

I'm taking it next week. Reading the entire book. Took the 30-question practice test and got around a 75%. I'm a little scared. Wish I had more old tests to go off of, it's kind of a scam to get you sign up for the course.
  • lizette1121622lizette1121622 Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah it is. You can create a simplified outline from this :) . There was a lot of repetition in the document.
    Many Thanks Lizette, greatly appreciated.......
  • STH1984STH1984 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi all,

Just wanted to say that I'm:

a) confused by the IAPP scoring system for CIPP/E
    b) relieved that I passed the exam today

I'm a bit confused, because I got the following scores:

Topic Level Scoring:
    Domain 1: 50%
    Domain 2: 77%
    Domain 3: 83%

I would have expected with a score of 50% in any one of the domains to not get a PASS grade.

Also, I see people posting their 'score' (x out of y) here, but in my exam I couldn't find a score; just curious where you guys got that info from?

Anyway, happy to have passed and now onto the real world, day-to-day Privacy Related issues... icon_smile.gif

Kind regards,
    STH1984
  • BROOKIED74BROOKIED74 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi GuysCan anyone who has taken the exam tell me if this is open book so can bring in resources or is it purely memory based?
  • senwarsenwar Member Posts: 19 ■■□□□□□□□□
    STH1984 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wanted to say that I'm:

a) confused by the IAPP scoring system for CIPP/E
    b) relieved that I passed the exam today

I'm a bit confused, because I got the following scores:

Topic Level Scoring:
    Domain 1: 50%
    Domain 2: 77%
    Domain 3: 83%

I would have expected with a score of 50% in any one of the domains to not get a PASS grade.

Also, I see people posting their 'score' (x out of y) here, but in my exam I couldn't find a score; just curious where you guys got that info from?

Anyway, happy to have passed and now onto the real world, day-to-day Privacy Related issues... icon_smile.gif

Kind regards,
    STH1984

When I passed I scored 16% in domain 1. Yes. 16%! When I failed previously I scored 83%.

Domain 2 is the one that matters primarily. I scored 83 in 1 and 3 but only 59 in 2 and failed. I don’t like the scoring mechanism to be fair.
    BROOKIED74 wrote: »
    Hi GuysCan anyone who has taken the exam tell me if this is open book so can bring in resources or is it purely memory based?

No it’s not open book. No materials or notes allowed
  • BROOKIED74BROOKIED74 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    just one more on the overall structure of the exam in relation to the three domains, are then free type / multiple choice or mixture? studying but would be great to know a structure to prepare in the right way.

Thanks in advance
    All questions are single choice answers only
    Hi Senwar
    Who did you contact at the IAPP?
    I failed with 0/75/75 -completely my fault for not studying the EU Offices intensively, know for next time, but I'd like to know how far\near I was.
  • deeonedeeone Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I recently registered for the CIPP/E exams and also purchased the mock exam questions and answers. I scored 90% and 100% when i did the mock exams, however, i recently sat for the actual exam and i can confidently say that it had no bearing to the actual exams. I was surprised that i only learnt about the fact that the mock exams were not based on past question papers, only after i had purchased it!
    It's advisable to study the text....a lot! to stand any chance of passing. I sat the CIPP/E Beta exams so perhaps that has something to do with it.

Goodluck!
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    In a blog post I read, at least for the CIPP/US, they said the mock questions were vastly easier than the actual exam questions. In my opinion this shouldn't be the case especially since you are purchasing them from the company that makes the tests. SANS makes the questions somewhat easier, but not so easy that it isn't a good gauge of passing or failing.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    Hi Senwar
    Who did you contact at the IAPP?
    I failed with 0/75/75 -completely my fault for not studying the EU Offices intensively, know for next time, but I'd like to know how far\near I was.

Hi Always - I contacted Mark Lovely at the IAPP. Very very helpful
  • Raluca dajbocRaluca dajboc Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, is anyone who retake the cipp/e exam? Unfortunately I failed the first exam and I want to retake it. Could someone give me some advices?, the questions are the same from the first examination? I have the simple question from IAPP, but my opinion is those are too simple compared to those given at the exam, and also the scenarios given to the exam.
    Thank you in advance.
  • deeonedeeone Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

My advice would be to concentrate on domain two questions, while practising how to read and answer case studies quickly. Learn about the interactions between European data protection authorities and issues around DSAR. Goodluck!

By the way, who knows how long it takes for results to be released for candidates who sat the cipp/e beta exam? I don't want to start getting anxious with the passage of time.
  • nish2908nish2908 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□

Thanks much lizette1121622 for the outline document.

I have registered for CIPP/E but I haven't picked a date for the test yet.

I have purchased the official book and am not going got the trainings because the price is too steep.

Apart from the book / gdpr as such, is there something that we should be covering / keeping note of to clear the exams?
    Is somebody who retake the exam? The questions are the same like the first examination?
    Now that's a good question icon_lol.gif
    Is somebody who retake the exam? The questions are the same like the first examination?

You do not get the exact same set no. Some will be the same but there will be new ones in around the same topic.

I actually sat CIPP/E 3 times so sadly speak from experience!
    Senwar, thank you for your reply. I wish you good luck if you like to try again! 🤞
    Senwar, thank you for your reply. I wish you good luck if you like to try again! 爛

Thanks - thankfully my 3rd attempt was successful last December. Was glad to finally get through.

I take the CIPT tomorrow. Fingers crossed on that one!
  • soltiskesoltiske Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    To those of you who have passed the recently-updated exam, is there anything outside the IAPP textbook and the GDPR text itself that should be studied prior to the test? I've watched some conference videos related to the GDPR from the Practising Law Institute and a few law firms, but I haven't had a chance to read the other recommended book (Determann's Field Guide to Data Privacy Law) or really dive into the blogs listed on the IAPP CIPP/E Resource List: should I take the extra time to do that, or is most of the exam content from the textbook and Regulation text?
  • arjojoarjojo Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi all. I took the CIPP/E this week and made it in the first shot, luckily (100/89/91). I found some of the advice on this thread quite useful so I'm happy to pass it forward! First, both the 'minimum 30 hours' and the IAPP sample questions are misnomers. I'm a data protection lawyer, and had to dedicate almost double that time to meaningfully prepare. I used the IAPP text, the GDPR text, WP29 Guidelines, EDPS, ICO & CNIL publications and a number of other handy data protection reference books I had access to. The IAPP handbook is perhaps the most helpful in terms of exam prep, because it maps to the exam blueprint so you learn in context. Now, as for the exam itself - like others have said, it is nothing like the sample questions. Think middle school vs A levels. The exam is tricky, especially the scenario based questions of which there are plenty, and tests both specific recall, and your 'core' knowledge of the principles based approach to European privacy, which need to be sound because the exam will try to throw you off, and the options to many questions seem like they have more than one right answer. This nuance is something only really getting to the core of the key concepts will, in my view, help achieve. More specifically, be sure to pay attention to all the tiny details - to the level of "what did the ICO's opinion in XX year impact most".
  • SajCh2015SajCh2015 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,
    Just new to this excellent forum. I can see huge valued information over here. I am a business consultant and I have good experience in compliance and have been going through GDPR documentations for a while now. I am just starting to prepare for CIPP/E & CIPM certifications as these certifications would be hot in the near future whether you have job or work as a consultant.
    Could you please advise me on
    1) where to start from?
    2) Is taking online/offline official compulsory OR self-study/CIPP/E Text Books/ videos/other resources etc
    3) What are the best books/ resources for CIPP/E & CIPM
    4) What is CIPP/E & CIPM exam criteria

Any help, suggestions and recommendations would be much appreciated.

Best regards
    Saj
    1) What does domain mean?
    2) what are 3 domains?
    3) what does each cover?

Looking forward to it.... many thanks for your input
    senwar wrote: »
    Thanks - thankfully my 3rd attempt was successful last December. Was glad to finally get through.

I take the CIPT tomorrow. Fingers crossed on that one!

Best of luck
  • K-9K-9 Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    SajCh2015 wrote: »
    1) What does domain mean?
    2) what are 3 domains?
    3) what does each cover?

Looking forward to it.... many thanks for your input

Search engine?
  • soltiskesoltiske Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just passed the exam this morning, 83/87/83 406, so I want to pass along some information since this thread was helpful in my studying! For any American-barred lawyers, the exam itself is structured as though the MBE part of the bar exam focused solely on European data privacy. There are short-form questions that ask for specific facts, as well as long-form scenario-based questions (multiple questions per scenario). I spent most of my time studying the IAPP textbook and did not take a course to prepare. I went through and read the entire textbook with a highlighter making notes, then created an outline from the book (I will make this available once I remove all the typos I found), then went through the 50-page outline engaging with it and making notes on it. It took about 2 months to study part-time while also working full-time. In addition to the textbook, I would recommend any other video resources you have access to (I watched some videos on the Practising Law Institute website) and some basic knowledge of ICO's interaction with GDPR and data privacy: the ICO issued guidelines recently that may be helpful.