WGU Master's Cybersecurity

ConstantSageConstantSage Member Posts: 8 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have been accepted into the MS: CSIA program at WGU but am reluctant to actually go through with the program. I heard that the courses are policy heavy and less technical which is okay, as I can use my own labs and work experience to learn the technical side. I am currently in a sys admin role and was wondering if the Masters program would put me on the right path to earning my CISSP. I'm aware that there are no classes that are advertised as preparing you for the CISSP but was just curious if the courses provided would get me familiar with the CISSP domains in a meaningful way.

Any input would be appreciated and if you have been part of this program feel free to respond about the program in general, as I am still up in the air and could use your help in deciding if I think this is for me.

Comments

• Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If your primary goal is just to get the CISSP, why not just go directly for that?
  • ConstantSageConstantSage Member Posts: 8 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My primary goal is to learn as much as I can about cyber all the while making myself more marketable to companies for a cyber job. The CISSP is a goal of mine but I don’t have the experience necessary and I think having the Masters would help me stand out and learn more about the industry. I was just wondering from people who have gone through the program how well it would prepare me for that well recognized cert.
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    If your primary goal is just to get the CISSP, why not just go directly for that?

+1. You can pass the CISSP with self study for a whole lot less $.
  • 518518 Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    +1 on studying for CISSP with self study. Im on my last term of the program and I’m not amused. It’s not because the program is non-technical, it’s because the scenarios are ridiculously old. Access 97? COBIT and not COBIT5? Yup! I dont feel as if the papers are of graduate level. Oh well, MS in CIA from WGU, just another checkbox.

I also have a CISSP, CCNP, CASP, and CCNA-Sec. I have been on various IT roles before becoming an infosec analyst.
  • roxerroxer Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Remember, the purpose of a Master's Degree is to prepare and take you into management, not become a technical superstar. The CISSP is an information security management cert--not technical. Management IS policy driven and where policy is made. So if you are wanting to stay on the technical side, there are certifications for that purpose. I intend to do the same degree in August. But to be sure, cyber security is just as heavily policy and risk as it is technical.
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There are plenty of IRC chat rooms you can learn a lot about cyber in. It's not as useful these days with all the other social media and IM systems, but you can still find partners. Just avoid the ones you have to pay for.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • BlucodexBlucodex Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I already had my CISSP when I went for my MSCIA. If you want a CISSP study for that. If you want to get a MS, collect the CEH and CHFI, and get decent base knowledge for a CISSP then doing the MSCIA isn't a bad option. I did mine in 1 semester so it was really affordable.

But if your sole goal is the CISSP I wouldn't do the WGU MSCIA.
  • ConstantSageConstantSage Member Posts: 8 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I appreciate all the good responses. I'm still undecided but will use the info and opinions I've been provided to help chart my path forward.
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just to offer a good response :) I can add that experience is really a big deal, especially when compared against an MS. You could talk to some recruiters in your area, to see if something like that makes you look overqualified for certain things that you want.

Thankfully you're a sysadmin today, and you could probably swing that experience into security experience (I mean, you patch things, manage permissions, accounts, troubleshoot incidents, install AV, wrestle with firewalls...). An MS for someone with 0 actual real world experience becomes a problem. For you, I bet you could go either way and be pretty happy.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?