Credit hours

denis92denis92 Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
This might be a silly question but I though i would ask. Many IT programs that I have seen require about 57 credits in IT courses. A second degree program I am looking at requires only 36. Do you think employers will dismiss me due to the low number of credits in the program, even though it is my second degree?

Comments

• Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've never seen someone list credit hours on their resume. Would it be a completed BS? Then just list that, I can't imagine someone questioning the number of credits. This is assuming of course that you actually need a 2nd BS degree, which most do not.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Short answer: nobody cares
  • denis92denis92 Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    I've never seen someone list credit hours on their resume. Would it be a completed BS? Then just list that, I can't imagine someone questioning the number of credits. This is assuming of course that you actually need a 2nd BS degree, which most do not.

Yes it is a complete bachelor's. The thing is I have read that employers check transcripts when you are just starting out, which worries me that they might dismiss me due to the credits.
    Nah, what is your other degree in? Do you even need a second degree?
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've never had anyone ask to see my transcripts... ever. One thing to keep in mind is that universities and colleges are in the business of selling you a product and often over estimate its value out in the business world.

Not saying a degree isn't valuable, I'm just saying there has been a recent trend of grads feeling their degree provides an employer more value than it is actually worth. Probably has something to do with the huge amount of debt they have to convince students to take out these days.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If they check they should see that you transferred in classes that satisfied the university's degree requirements. They will likely not question it at all. If they do, tell them that it is an accelerated program...they should understand. If they don't, they might not be a good choice to work for anyway.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
    Nah, what is your other degree in? Do you even need a second degree?

My first degree is in chemistry. But many employers seem incredibly picky. I guess that's the market we live in.
    I'm not so sure about that. Do you have any certs? Any other experience? What type of jobs are you going for?
    I'm not so sure about that. Do you have any certs? Any other experience? What type of jobs are you going for?

I have the A+ and net+ but I have no experience yet. I am applying for help desk, it support, and desktop support roles, basically entry level.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would think Chemistry would fall in the STEM bucket which would be advantagous for you. Are you sure that's what's keeping you from positions?

A+ and N+ are great entry level certifications....
    I would think Chemistry would fall in the STEM bucket which would be advantagous for you. Are you sure that's what's keeping you from positions?

A+ and N+ are great entry level certifications....

Well I will tell you the truth I haven't been applying seriously yet. What scares me are the job postings(which always want a related degree or 4 yrs exp; which I have no idea how to get) and other people's experiences, who have a related degree and have a tough time getting interviews.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's uncomfortable at first, but you'll need to eventually take the leap of faith.

I applied to help desk job years ago and they brought me in asked me a few questions and got the job. I didn't know much, I had a lesser degree than you and no certifications and remained that way for 3 years.....

From an education and certification standpoint you are ready to apply for entry level jobs, don't let your fears get in the way.......
    A BS and entry level certs, there really is no reason why you shouldn't be able to get a helpdesk job, I'd skip the 2nd BS degree. Maybe post your resume here, remove personal info, and people can make suggestions.