Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• LarryTRLarryTR Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have now read this whole thread.drunken_smilie.gif
    Between the info I gained from this forum and the WGU subreddit, I think I know more about WGU than the enrollment counselors do (and maybe even some student mentors) icon_lol.gif

I was just wondering if WGU IT degrees and transcripts still only show "BS in IT" regardless of the IT concentration/track you choose?

Somewhere around the 2015 mark, I read a post that insinuated that beginning sometime in 2015, WGU degrees and transcripts now show the specific track/concentration a student chose, but it was not entirely clear if that is actually the case. A few have asked but no one ever answered the question.

I'm still not sure if I will be attending WGU, but if I do, I have read so much about the process and the experiences of others that it will make it a much smoother experience now that I know the ins and outs from those who actually have attended.
  • CaiyenneCaiyenne Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I recently graduated and the transcript says:
    Degree Program: Bachelor of Science
    IT - Software Emphasis

The Degree says:
    Bachelor of Science
    Information Technology - Software
  • dazl1212dazl1212 Member Posts: 377
    Does anyone know if their degrees are recognised by most employers in the UK?
    Goals for 2013 Network+ [x] ICND1 [x] ICND2 [ ]
  • Bjcheung77Bjcheung77 Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dazl1212 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if their degrees are recognised by most employers in the UK?

Yes, they are recognized by every country as equal to their own, such as a UK charter/government approved institution.
    As per my last post in your thread, they do not accept anyone outside of USA and selective areas of Canada.
    The only exceptions are service people (marine/navy/military) in territories of the US or abroad. Sadly, you can't enroll.
  • N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do people normally have to make any arrangements to attend? What I mean is that(if I remember this right) they require you to attend 12 credits minimum, an equivalent of full-time college. I tried juggling full-time classes with full-time work before and it was just a disaster waiting to happen(not enough stamina). Unlike my local college, I wouldn't be able to simply work full-time and just take a class or two at night.

Not that it would be recommended anyway as they charge per term instead of per class, so obviously the incentive would be to cram something like 24 credits even if you could manage 2 full-time gigs.

Do people normally just work in IT entry-level to mid-level, save up some money, then quit their job and blast through WGU?
    OSCP
    MCSE: Core Infrastructure
    MCSA: Windows Server 2016
    CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ CE
    It seems to me that the vast majority of WGU students posting on forums are working FT. You have to keep in mind that a lot of these people already know a lot of the material so there's not much "studying". Also, since there's no grade given (just pass/fail) I bet many people just strive for a pass and move on to the next class.

Most WGU IT students are in it to get that piece of paper in order to pass HR filters in order to get a better job or a promotion, not to get on the honor roll. I don't have a problem with that. You have to play the game - IMHO a person should not be put in a position to have to get a degree to prove his worth in an industry he's been working in for 10-20 years. But that's where the IT industry is going so one has to play the game to keep his head above water. WGU makes it very possible, but it's not for everyone.

I don't think WGU should require a minimum amount of credits per semester, it's more money for them the longer you take to get your degree. But there must be a reason why they do it, I imagine.
  • N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hmm, that's interesting. I was looking to work maybe a year in IT before going back for my Bachelor's, but given that it's a competency based system with many considerations of certs, it sounds like it would be better to wait until I encounter that HR barrier before tackling it since the certs I pick up along the way might allow me to skip much of the requirements.
    OSCP
    MCSE: Core Infrastructure
    MCSA: Windows Server 2016
    CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ CE
    You can also start taking your gen ed courses through other places like Straighterline.com (as well as many others) and transfer them in when you enroll. This is assuming you don't already have an AS/AA or BS/BA degree. If you do, you may have all your gen ed courses covered to transfer-in to WGU.
  • jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Also keep in mind that the requirement is for 12 hours over the course of a term. At WGU, the terms are 6 months, not the shorter duration, with which you might be associating it.

And to Larry's advice, look at Straighterline, CLEP tests, DANTES, certifications, etc. All can be addressed individually at your own pace, and it could lower your total cost if you do it right.
  • y2adrey2adre Member Posts: 6 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have been accepted to WGU in their Bachelor's degree, Cyber Security Program. I have a double major bachelor's in Econ and history. My question is, since my job is paying for it, should I do another bachelor's program, or should I do certs on my own?
  • NoNameNoobNoNameNoob Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi guys, I failed my first OA this morning. I requested my voucher on Monday and didn't receive it until Friday. I spent Tuesday-Friday on getting ahead on my next class, c173. I then tried to backtrack last night and read but it wasn't enough. (Missed by 3 questions). Did your student mentor change in anyway after failing an OA? My 1st day for WGU was Nov 1st. I've passed 5 classes for 19 credits so far. Each time I requested to take the OA my SM was a bit apprehensive of agreeing, probably due to pace. I'm a little worried they will try manage me a bit more than before. What was your experience like?
  • ImThe0neImThe0ne Member Posts: 143
    NoNameNoob wrote: »
    Hi guys, I failed my first OA this morning. I requested my voucher on Monday and didn't receive it until Friday. I spent Tuesday-Friday on getting ahead on my next class, c173. I then tried to backtrack last night and read but it wasn't enough. (Missed by 3 questions). Did your student mentor change in anyway after failing an OA? My 1st day for WGU was Nov 1st. I've passed 5 classes for 19 credits so far. Each time I requested to take the OA my SM was a bit apprehensive of agreeing, probably due to pace. I'm a little worried they will try manage me a bit more than before. What was your experience like?
    I know this is pretty late, but this all really depends on your SM. I had one that was very hands off unless I needed something and he was all ears. He really only checked in the first few months, then after that he would only check on me if I wasn't flying through courses.
    I failed my last portion of Operating Systems (70-412 exam through Microsoft) and he approved me to retake the next day. If you swing and barely miss, they usually don't mind giving a second shot fairly quickly, but I also had a mentor that didn't mind approving OAs ahead of time, assuming I was going to study and pass on my own.
  • jamshid666jamshid666 Member Posts: 48 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm annoyed with the C172 class. I just took the PA, and I passed, but there were quite a few questions that were not covered by the associated courseware. Because of that, I'm really worried about scheduling the OA. Will the OA have even more stuff not covered by the course or the PA?
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security Estimated completion: May 2019
    Remaining courses: C846 (ITIL), C768 (OA), C850 (OA), C769 (Capstone)
    Active Certifications: A+, CCDA, CCNA-R&S, CCNA-Security, CIW-SDA, i-Net+, Network+, Project+, Security+, Server+, Splunk Certified User, VCP-DCV
    Expired Certifications: CCNP, LPIC-1, MCSE, RHCSE,
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Just an FYI, any IT college credits over 5yrs old will not transfer. It is not mentioned anywhere on their website. I may revisit WGU again in the future, but for now I don't think it will benefit me. I have 6yrs of IT experience and work in the public sector where certifications are favored.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• JCloudJCloud Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've earned 5 certs since starting WGU in Dec 2017. Well worth the effort.
  • draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm within 4 classes of graduating but I'm so brunt out. I work overtime almost everyday.
    There is no time. Hopefully my job change soon fixes that.

My real problem is I hate the classes I have to finish. Worthless to me and creating motivation has been hard.

What has anyone else done in my situation?
  • netsechelpnetsechelp Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Does anyone have any advice on filing a challenge to their transcript eval? Just got mine back and am a little disappointed. WGU is not giving me credit for the A+ or N+, even though my A.A.S. had courses directly related to both of those certifications (as in, literally taught out of the academic certification guide). I'd really like to avoid having to waste time on either cert.
  • devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    netsechelp wrote: »
    Does anyone have any advice on filing a challenge to their transcript eval? Just got mine back and am a little disappointed. WGU is not giving me credit for the A+ or N+, even though my A.A.S. had courses directly related to both of those certifications (as in, literally taught out of the academic certification guide). I'd really like to avoid having to waste time on either cert.
    You should be able to just take the exams. I went right through the coursework, got the vouchers and took the exams. The only way to qualify for the credit is if you actually have the cert.
  • Mike RMike R Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Does anyone know if the A+ lets you skip the assessment test?
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I believe I have read that it does as long as it was earned in the last 5 years or something like that. A+ also knocks out two classes last I checked, but it's been a couple years since I went through.
  • Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    draught wrote: »
    I'm within 4 classes of graduating but I'm so brunt out. I work overtime almost everyday.
    There is no time. Hopefully my job change soon fixes that.

My real problem is I hate the classes I have to finish. Worthless to me and creating motivation has been hard.

What has anyone else done in my situation?

you have 4 classes left?
    Finish them. The act of quitting now is not logical at all.
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This question may have already been asked, but it may vary from state to state. How does your state view competency based learning in terms of full-time status? For taxes.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Mooseboost wrote: »
    This question may have already been asked, but it may vary from state to state. How does your state view competency based learning in terms of full-time status? For taxes.

Illinois bases full time on how many credit hours you are enrolled in for the semester. So if I do 15 credit hours in one semester I am full time.
  • devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In CA its the same as if you were at a B&M.
  • Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did the BS - IT Security program get merged into the BS - Network Operations & Security? I'm not seeing it on the website anymore, so I'm trying to see what classes changed. It looks like they added ITIL, watered down Linux+, and added Cloud+. Let me know if that's about all that's changed. Thanks!
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS
  • vfr clownvfr clown Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Replaced java with excel, linux+ with essentials, and something else with cloud essentials. These were the classes that changed for me.
    AOS Computer Systems
    AA General Studies
    BSNOS - 2019
  • Bugsy1314Bugsy1314 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is anyone currently doing their Computer Science degree?? I’m thinking of doing this program just wanting to make sure it’s decent. Also, has anyone had issues transferring if they wanted to go to another school from here?
  • versoleversole Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I having a hard time deciding wither should I go to WGU or to keep going to the college that I am going to at the moment. Lucky, the tuition for the college I'm going to is being waived from financial aid. The downside of it is that pace for the college degree I am going for which is Computer Information Since BS is very slow, and the classes are very basic (I already have the knowledge of what the professor are talking about because I independently learning them or I previously passion about it.)

In short, I want someone who knows more or already have the degree from the WGU give me some guide about it.
  • BigK2BigK2 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey everyone,

I just applied here... I am weighing out all of my options. I want a career change, and I went to eventually work in defense sector in cyber security. My wife works in defense, and gets shipped around. Currently I am selling my business and want a fresh clean slate. I currently have an auto shop where I am mostly do all the diagnosing, electrical, ECU's, CAN, fiber optics, most send their goods to me. The thing is I want to have credentials and a career that is much more flexible with moving. With a small business, it's hard to have any flexibility...plus I can always go back to it.

I considered jumping straight into a Master's like University of Maryland's Master's program...but I don't think it'll give me much if any training. So right now, I will be struggling to find jobs at our new location...so I figured I'll take some time for self-improvement. Finish the second bachelor's (First is BS in Kinesiology), and then consider Master's or just start interviewing.
    I have a lot of my math and science done...physics 1/2, calc1/2/3/+differential equations, several engineering courses, dynamics, statics, thermodynamics

I am looking at DoD 8570 certifications...so far my plan is Network+ > Security+ > CSA+ > CEH

The plans might obviously change and I am going to talk to some hiring managers for these positions (benefits of wife fairly high up) to see if I am missing anything or if he may advise a different path, if so I'll report back.

Anyway, I am excited to be making some changes and will be on here a lot eating up information!
  • JSNJSN Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    With Western Governers, would I be able to transfer credits or be accepted to a Masters program outside of WGU?