Crypto Currencies - Bitcoin - Ethereum - Neo - LiteCoin !

crytodudecrytodude Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello TechExam family,

I have been a long time user here at Techexam but I lost my credentials !

I worked in IT for 7 years – worked my way all the way up to a senior level systems engineer.

I left the field about a year ago, because I was really really bored and felt I was VERY satisfied with what I achieved.

Anyways I got into crypto currency trading with Bitcoin/Ethereum/NEO etc and I am doing really well.

Now I am a crypto trader / block chain enterpruner !

And I am in Love !

Does anyone here work in the crypto currency space? Or the block chain space? Or do crypto trading ? That
has business / work suggestions or ideas ?

This is a new space that is consistently growing very rapidy !

Comments

• boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a few $1000 I been thinking about dumping into an exchange, have links to info that can help guide a newbie?
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Can this be moved to Off Topic?
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    BAH! I dumped $1,000 into this when Litecoin hit $75, it's under $60 now. Not feeling the Cypto love yet. I was serious considering setting up a mining rig, but there was just no way I could see how to break even on the hardware investment, even if the electricity was free. If I would have started back in Jan 2017 I could have made a nice return, but I wasn't in the financial position to invest at the time.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm eyeing OMG right now. Some speculators think it could go up enormously within the next couple years. My sources say only about 1% of people are even into cryptocurrency. There's talk of that bumping up to 3% by next year. That'd mean alot of rises in valuation.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Can this be moved to Off Topic?

The question he actually asked was definitely "job" related.

Will most likely be derailed though ;)
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    so which crypto coin is a good buy right now?
    how can i buy it?
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    so which crypto coin is a good buy right now?
    how can i buy it?

Not a professional at this by any means, but since I have nothing to lose I'll layout my current investments and what I'm eyeing now...

I think Ripple (XRP) and IOTA are both good investments. Both are technology based and IOTA doesn't even use a blockchain, it uses a forward moving tech called the Tangle. It's got a great community. XRP is primarily for use by financial institutions to transfer money and if it can go wide-enough it'd be a good investment before the end of next year and the year after. I was a fan of Bitstamp for XRP and BTC. Coinbase will get you 3 of the major coins, but their customer service sucks. Still, they're not going anywhere and they are one of the better ones if you live in the US.

I would probably have a look at Salt (https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/salt/). I'm also interested in Omisego (OMG) and currently have my eye on Dogecoin, just because it's increadibly low right now. Outside of those, I've seen some podcasts and analysts speculate that EOS (https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/eos/) could definately have potential as well. You'll want to do your own research on all of this before investing anything (heh, disclaimer). But, I've made money this year (okay, not a ton), but I'm considering them to be long-term positions.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • QueueQueue Member Posts: 174 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A couple key things to consider. Always buy low and sell high. Don't buy into those mainstream coins on Coinbase that could potentially be hitting all time highs.

If your into high risk/high return why not look into penny stocks using Robinhood or another trade platform? I've made over 30% on a biotech this year and could possibly double that before the year is up.
  • slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I recently bought into XRP, I had been ignoring Crypto for years, I did a ton of research and have come to the conclusion that, regulations in this space are coming, with these alleged "ICOs" sometimes raising 250m$ in a matter of days, retail investors are treating these like securities and they aren't, at best they are commodities.

After loads of research, I really only see one that is organized as an actual company, has good tech, actual customer base and actual use cases. Ripple's XRP token, any of this stuff is a long shot, but I am taking my long shot on this one, because I like the limited down side and infinite upside, just don't put in more than you can afford to lose on any of this stuff guys.

Also, make for sure you don't leave your coins on an exchange, or online in anyway, get a hardware wallet like Nano ledger S, hackers will target your coins.
  • x12319xx12319x Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    whats the current prognosis for you guys on xrp?
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    XRP peaked when the FOMO came out that Coinbase and Gemini was going to set it as an entrance coin..... Wrong.....

I have 0 confidence in Ripple

100 Billion of centralized tokens.... icon_lol.gif

I sold all of mine at a loss back at 89 cents. Never looked back...

Look at Neo or one of the privacy coins. Of course there are the heavy hitters like BCH, BTC. Not impressed with ETH either.... Does everything good but nothing great. (Long term prospects).
    I wouldn't touch any crypto right now imo. Unless there are signs we are back in a bull market I'm hands off. Would just be completely gambling.

Or unless you are day trading and scalping in short time frames.
    I wouldn't touch any crypto right now imo. Unless there are signs we are back in a bull market I'm hands off. Would just be completely gambling.

Or unless you are day trading and scalping in short time frames.

All shorts at this point and time....
    XRP peaked when the FOMO came out that Coinbase and Gemini was going to set it as an entrance coin..... Wrong.....

I have 0 confidence in Ripple

100 Billion of centralized tokens.... icon_lol.gif

I sold all of mine at a loss back at 89 cents. Never looked back...

Look at Neo or one of the privacy coins. Of course there are the heavy hitters like BCH, BTC. Not impressed with ETH either.... Does everything good but nothing great. (Long term prospects).

55 billion XRP are in escrow with 1 billion available to purchase each month

20b are owned across 7 founders and have restrictions - similar to how satoshi still holds the biggest BTC wallet

The rest are circulating on exchanges and the remaining wallets

BTC is controlled by anywhere from 3 - 7 mining pools in China, so technically its more centralized than XRP, by far

I respect the fact that you don't believe in the project, but please try not to spread inaccurate information.
    Fact XRP did peak when FOMO was set around it being picked up by Gemini and Coinbase...... (It never happened).

That's when it his ~3.41, most investors I know got out around 2 and some change.... (Note smart move)....

XRP is the left over from a pump and ****.....

Bottom line, the value store for Bitcoin Cash and Bitcoin are > than Ripple.....

Limited supply left on the blockchain. As mentioned both 21 million coins, much more scarce (regardless of who owns) ..... 17.5 mil have been mined, 30% of those have been lost. Supply and demand and supply is going down, just another investor died just recently and no one knows his physical wallet password. Good luck guessing that....

XRP is fine to play with the RSI is low and the fibs show strong retracement, other than that it's junk.
    I respect your opinions, but I disagree, I don't think any technical analysis is valid for Crypto since its such an emerging market, I see this as investing in something akin to the internet in 1985, we really don't know what will come out of it, I do believe the space will produce some big things.

With that said, I only own one digital asset, XRP, specifically because I see it as the only project with a real company behind it and an actual governance model, I think BTCs brand recognition could carry it a long way, if it's governance model wasn't developers having tweet battles and sand box fights that culminate in divergent code streams.

Like I said mate, my bets are made, and on a project that's embracing regulations, working with 40-50 central banks, Western Union, Money Gram, Banco Santander, and too many others to list. Best of luck to you, and lets stick a calendar marker on the board for 12-31-18 - biggest % gainer has to send the other guy something for christmas ?

Oh one last thought, xRapid is Ripples product offering that actually leverages XRP - it is set to go live before end of Q2 with many of the aforementioned customers having committed to using xRapid in production, so I realize we did reach a "peak" in early January, but that was based on speculation - no project has yet to be driven by actual utility and production use. I'm excited to see what transpires when xRapid launches.
    And I respect yours.

I am not a fiduciary and I am not looking what's best for you, only myself in regards to this extremely uncertain market.

I do like the transaction times Ripple allows. My concern is where is the value? If you were an early adopter and got in at .1 per coin you are in good shape to HODL. But if you are coming in 50 - 1.00, I have some serious concerns.

If Ripple is adopted for transactions and wins out over Neo, Cardano, Monero, BCH and others.... How does the price of the coin go up? Is it viewed as a value store to hedge against fiat inflation?

What type of financial projections are you seeing if the market cap increases, It's already number 3 I believe behind ETH and Bitcoin which is ~40 of the market.
    slinuxuzer wrote: »
    I respect your opinions, but I disagree, I don't think any technical analysis is valid for Crypto since its such an emerging market, I see this as investing in something akin to the internet in 1985, we really don't know what will come out of it.

Which is why I don't put my money in it at the moment. If I see momentum start to swing up again, I will invest, otherwise it is just gambling.

I see the biggest advancements is in the use of blockchain, not crypto currencies. Doesn't mean I won't invest in crypto if the market is bullish. (not huge fan of shorting, I did try it for a little bit) I watch it everyday... It is at an interesting point right now. I hope it does start going to the moon again! I won't be disappointed if it doesn't though.

Edit: Just my thoughts, but I think there needs to be another sharp drop from the current level for this turn bullish. Think it is setting up for it too... Something like 5k or even 3k... I don't anticipate any new random news to turn this market around atm.
  • SvobodaSvoboda Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My biggest holding is in Vechain.

I've got about 1000 "coins" in some other projects I believe in such as XRP just as set and forget gambles, but I'm highest on Vechain personally. I'm really only interested in projects that have actual utility.
    Svoboda wrote: »
    My biggest holding is in Vechain. I've got about 1000 "coins" in some other projects I believe in such as XRP just as set and forget gambles, but I'm highest on Vechain personally. I'm really only interested in projects that have actual utility.
    Looking at BCH hitting the 38% retracement, at least hoping so..... 878 and 990 to ~1244 would be a nice trade. No stop limit set, I want to meet goal ;) AKA trade to execute!The good news I am still 80% Fiat, so if we do get a run off I am positioned nicely to pick up some coins on sales.

Volatility for BCH has been good.

I should look at picking up some ALT's if we have another downtrend.

And if we get so lucky for BTC to hit 3000 - 5000 I am clearing out 401K and throwing everything I have at it. It will be so oversold at that point, the retracement would be maddening.
    And I respect yours.

I am not a fiduciary and I am not looking what's best for you, only myself in regards to this extremely uncertain market.

I do like the transaction times Ripple allows. My concern is where is the value? If you were an early adopter and got in at .1 per coin you are in good shape to HODL. But if you are coming in 50 - 1.00, I have some serious concerns.

If Ripple is adopted for transactions and wins out over Neo, Cardano, Monero, BCH and others.... How does the price of the coin go up? Is it viewed as a value store to hedge against fiat inflation?

What type of financial projections are you seeing if the market cap increases, It's already number 3 I believe behind ETH and Bitcoin which is ~40 of the market.

Ripple is targeting the world wide remittance market, derivatives market, and micro payments markets - the total "potential" production usage is measured in quadrillions. IMO, the value is in having the digital asset utilized in real-world usage for these use cases - I see a few critical components required for a project to gain main stream adoption -

First and foremost transaction times / scalability, XRP covers this with 3 second settlements, 1500 tps on ledger, and scales horizontally with payment channels to 50,000 tps - per payment channel

Second, KYC/AML compliance - Know Your Customer and Anti-Money laundering laws aren't going anywhere, and I'm not aware of another single project that has achieved this compliance, except XRP.

Third, liquidity, and as you mentioned XRP is number 3 currently as far as market cap goes, traded on 75+ exchanges and SBI banking group owns a 15% equity stake in Ripple and has spent the last year launching a compliant / regulator approved exchange in Japan with XRP as the anchor currency.
    slinuxuzer wrote: »
    Ripple is targeting the world wide remittance market, derivatives market, and micro payments markets - the total "potential" production usage is measured in quadrillions. IMO, the value is in having the digital asset utilized in real-world usage for these use cases - I see a few critical components required for a project to gain main stream adoption -

First and foremost transaction times / scalability, XRP covers this with 3 second settlements, 1500 tps on ledger, and scales horizontally with payment channels to 50,000 tps - per payment channel

Second, KYC/AML compliance - Know Your Customer and Anti-Money laundering laws aren't going anywhere, and I'm not aware of another single project that has achieved this compliance, except XRP.

Third, liquidity, and as you mentioned XRP is number 3 currently as far as market cap goes, traded on 75+ exchanges and SBI banking group owns a 15% equity stake in Ripple and has spent the last year launching a compliant / regulator approved exchange in Japan with XRP as the anchor currency.

I bought some Ripple btw you talked me into it. I traded some of my BTC for XRP, ~.25 BTC.

Do you ever see a scenario where the blockchain (coin) holders get some sort of yearly/monthly payout for holding stake in that blockchain?

My initial thought is it depends how regulations are set for cryptos.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just curious - but how do you guys spend your crypto? In between consulting engagements, I use my hash crack rig to mine ZEC.

I was looking at Shapeshift, Changelly, and Switchain as means to convert some of the cypto that I have to ETH or BTC so that I can use it.