Taking Sec + this week: Last minute question about practice exam

gilesitisgilesitis Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I'm scheduled to take the Sy0-401 this Thursday and feel pretty good about it.

However, a lot of folks say this one is tough. I'd rather be overprepared than get in there and be surprised.

With that said, what practice test vendor offers the most realistic questions?

I've heard Boson is closet to the real thing. Can anyone confirm this? Or is there another vendor that offers better questions (most like the real thing)?

Thanks!

Comments

• PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've never found any practice exams that match CompTIA questions very well. I always find the real exams to be more difficult.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Daril Gibson's practice questions matched some of the questions. NOT exactly, but the same feel. I agree with @Pseudonym.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • gilesitisgilesitis Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Pseudonym wrote: »
    I've never found any practice exams that match CompTIA questions very well. I always find the real exams to be more difficult.

That's what I understand as well. Have you ever tried the Boson tests?
    Daril Gibson's practice questions matched some of the questions. NOT exactly, but the same feel. I agree with @Pseudonym.

I've heard Gibson's stuff is about the best and I've been using his resources. The majority of what I've read is that the questions are very difficult to decipher. I was hoping I could find something to simulate the complexity of the questions.
  • labscloudlabscloud Member Posts: 137 ■■□□□□□□□□
    gilesitis wrote: »
    I've heard Gibson's stuff is about the best and I've been using his resources. The majority of what I've read is that the questions are very difficult to decipher. I was hoping I could find something to simulate the complexity of the questions.

I'm preparing to take the test in the next 30~ days, I have Gibson's book on the way, along with the audio files of his I purchased. I also enrolled in Mike Meyers Udemy course. I've got Messer's videos series added to a playlist, but I need some solid practice test as well. I know they will be crucial to getting a feel for test environment, as I've never taken a CompTia test.
    labscloud wrote: »
    I'm preparing to take the test in the next 30~ days, I have Gibson's book on the way, along with the audio files of his I purchased. I also enrolled in Mike Meyers Udemy course. I've got Messer's videos series added to a playlist, but I need some solid practice test as well. I know they will be crucial to getting a feel for test environment, as I've never taken a CompTia test.

As others have posted here, the actual exam questions are tougher. I can speak for the A+ and Net+ exams.

Just make you read all questions carefully and precisely. I read each question at least twice (even the ones I was 100% sure about). Others I read many times over, but finally made sense of them.

Not sure which practice exam is closest to the real thing. I've heard Boson is, but I can't confirm that. Kaplan and MeasureUp are also ones I see recommended a lot.
  • neoinbizneoinbiz Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you plan on just studying practice questions from online ********* you will Fail4Sure. There maybe is about 10 questions if lucky that match all the rest are more scenario type questions. I took the test last Friday 6/15 in South Carolina. I failed at 529 had 83 questions
    All the brain-**** are are crap for this test... I will have to take again and i will actually have to learn the material.
    I will use this sight as well to prepare again...
    neoinbiz wrote: »
    If you plan on just studying practice questions from online ********* you will Fail4Sure. There maybe is about 10 questions if lucky that match all the rest are more scenario type questions. I took the test last Friday 6/15 in South Carolina. I failed at 529 had 83 questions
    All the brain-**** are are crap for this test... I will have to take again and i will actually have to learn the material.

Sorry to hear that, but at least you have an idea of what the real test is like.

I have never relied on brain **** and didn't even know what they were until this year.

Sounds like they do more harm than good.

Good luck on your retake!
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□

Key part of the sentence being "...I will actually have to learn the material."

I am not even going to say what I want to say about that.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • nicoletteannicolettean Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey everyone,

I bought some practice questions from a co-worker with over 1000 multiple choice and 5-10 simulations in it that helps get you somewhat ready for the exam. Not saying this will make you pass but gives a good sense of how different scenario questions might be asked.

Message me if interested.
    2018 Goals - AWS Certified Solutions Architect

Linkedin Profile : https://www.linkedin.com/in/andrew-nicolette-454721109/

hahahah.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
    gilesitis wrote: »
    That's what I understand as well. Have you ever tried the Boson tests?

I used Boson for Sec+ a couple of months ago. From what I remember, they weren't great.
    Working on - RHCE
    Pseudonym wrote: »
    I used Boson for Sec+ a couple of months ago. From what I remember, they weren't great.

Gotcha. Do you have any practice exam recommendations? Trying to get one more good one in.
    Not for CompTIA exams, sorry.
    Working on - RHCE
  • neoinbizneoinbiz Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I failed first time thinking **** would get me by. Big mistake. For me taking the test is just a job requirement . My job duties do not pertain to this stuff in test. That is reason for my trying ****...
    Any way here is what I am doing for next retake. I feel I will be well prepared this time around.
    • CompTIA CertMaster Security+ SY0-501 - has nice walk through and test questions
    • Professor Messler notes,videos and there is online study groups once a month that are nice and you get to ask questions to the professor LIVE... You may only get to go through 5 questions since there is a lot of talking and he explains the answers.
    • Darril Gibson - Sys501 app. Has mobile test questions and flash cards. Just started this one today only 7.99 so that is small price to pay..