Please review my CV / resume

MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have been out of work for several months after being in the hospital. I have updated my CV and need some help please. MY CV is aimed at a mid level I.T role.

Probably more 2nd Line with some field or 3rd Line Support.

looking forward to hearing the comments and suggestions.
Please be brutally honest.Negative comments are most welcome. Likewise positive comments are also appreciated.
I think it can be improved a lot yet i'm not sure exactly how.
I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.

Comments

• mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Overall I'd say it's pretty good. Shrink it down to two pages and write longer summaries for each position. Bullet points should be used to highlight key accomplishments and achievements such as "improved workflow by doing blah blah" saved company 1mil by doing such and such.

No education history at all? Also, make each sections (work history, education) larger fonts as recruiters only look at resumes on average of 6 seconds and it should stand out.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• thedudeabidesthedudeabides Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Looks good. Remove CCENT, though. No one looks for it, and the knowledge, if not the cert, is implied with CCNA.
    2019 Goals: CCNP R&S
  • MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you both for your comments. I will definately follow the advice.
    Do you think the CV is good enough for IT Service desk?
    2nd, 3rd Line perhaps?
    If you were hiring what type of IT job do you think would suit me? (i only ask as been out of work for a while so lost some confidence I suppose)

Anyone else have any other tips please let me know.much appreciated.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Maybe its just me but I like to use past tense when describing things I worked on at past positions. I'll just grab one section and show would I put...

(Yours)
    Key responsibilities
     Password resets and account administration through Windows Server 2008/Active Directory
     Setting up email addresses using Microsoft Exchange
     Repairing and upgrading PCs e.g. replacing memory, hard drives etc.
     Software installation (XP, 7, 8, Antivirus and Microsoft Office 2010/2013)
     Maintaining hardware and software inventories using Spiceworks
     Creating documentation adhering to strict deadlines
     Liaising with engineers and 3rd party suppliers ensuring result driven outcomes
     Procurement of equipment negotiating the most cost-effective prices

(Mine)
    Key responsibilities
     Windows Server 2008/Active Directory/Exchange administrator
     Responsible for software installation, repairing and upgrading of PCs
     Maintained hardware and software inventories using Spiceworks
     Created documentation to ensure consistency and accuracy were being met while adhering to strict deadlines
     Managed 3rd party suppliers ensuring result driven outcomes and most cost-effective prices

I'd like to see more projects/highlights, not just the busy work. (reason I removed password resets and setting up email addresses) Every resume has busy work people do. You will want to stand out though.
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Maybe its just me but I like to use past tense when describing things I worked on at past positions. I'll just grab one section and show would I put...

(Yours)
    Key responsibilities
     Password resets and account administration through Windows Server 2008/Active Directory
     Setting up email addresses using Microsoft Exchange
     Repairing and upgrading PCs e.g. replacing memory, hard drives etc.
     Software installation (XP, 7, 8, Antivirus and Microsoft Office 2010/2013)
     Maintaining hardware and software inventories using Spiceworks
     Creating documentation adhering to strict deadlines
     Liaising with engineers and 3rd party suppliers ensuring result driven outcomes
     Procurement of equipment negotiating the most cost-effective prices

(Mine)
    Key responsibilities
     Windows Server 2008/Active Directory/Exchange administrator
     Responsible for software installation, repairing and upgrading of PCs
     Maintained hardware and software inventories using Spiceworks
     Created documentation to ensure consistency and accuracy were being met while adhering to strict deadlines
     Managed 3rd party suppliers ensuring result driven outcomes and most cost-effective prices

I'd like to see more projects/highlights, not just the busy work. (reason I removed password resets and setting up email addresses) Every resume has busy work people do. You will want to stand out though.
    Many resume writers say the phrase "responsible for" and other similar phrases are superfluous and to use action words instead.
    I would use:
    Installed software; repaired and upgraded PCs.

I would also replace one or two lines of your duties with something you accomplished that improved your work, preferably quantifiable. Most people have something they did that improved or was an accomplishment, think back and try to come up with at least one accomplishment. Maybe you finished an upgrade or installation ahead of schedule, maybe your method of doing things was faster. That helps you stand out.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    LordQarlyn wrote: »
    Many resume writers say the phrase "responsible for" and other similar phrases are superfluous and to use action words instead.
    I would use:
    Installed software; repaired and upgraded PCs.

Thats true. Personally not a fan of the word "Maintained" in the 3rd bullet either. Would try and come up a different way to phrase that one as well.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The date gap in your resume could be problematic if you are applying for positions via automated systems. I don't really have a great solution for it - but perhaps you could indicate why you haven't been working in the past 6 months. Because it's a recent employment gap, it could lead to assumptions about why you haven't been working.
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Thats true. Personally not a fan of the word "Maintained" in the 3rd bullet either. Would try and come up a different way to phrase that one as well.
    Haha yeah that's why I can spend hours on my CV.
    paul78 wrote: »
    The date gap in your resume could be problematic if you are applying for positions via automated systems. I don't really have a great solution for it - but perhaps you could indicate why you haven't been working in the past 6 months. Because it's a recent employment gap, it could lead to assumptions about why you haven't been working.
    I wouldn't worry too much about the gap. I have an 8 month gap and was only asked once about it in the many interviews I had. Of course be prepared to explain if asked about it, but I wouldn't point it out on a resume or even cover letter.
  • Tekn0logyTekn0logy Member Posts: 113 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would remove this from the job description: "while self-studying various IT certifications"
    Might hint at being a self starter (good) or distracted from work responsibilities (bad).
    Your CV (maybe my misunderstanding) is missing bullet points or overview of how YOU made a difference.
    Were SLAs and KPIs positively exceeded under your watch? How much was technology spending reduced under your stewardship?
    Should be expressed percentage-wise as dollars from 15 years ago may seem insignificant to today's spend.
    The phrase: "ensuring result driven outcomes" seems like useless fluff pulled off a corporate website.
    This bullet is ambiguous: "Creating documentation adhering to strict deadlines."
    Were you a policy writer? Technical writer? Business proposal/reports?

It may serve you to collect a couple of Microsoft Certs: Windows 7 & 10, Server 2012
    Which version of Exchange? Were you responsible for only creating email accounts?
    Remove the whitespace, add your achievements and education.
    Without heavy tech certs/experience the ITIL cert may pigeonhole you into a project manager position.

Not trying to be a *****, just putting on my interviewer hat.
    Good luck!
    Tekn0logy wrote: »
    Not trying to be a *****, just putting on my interviewer hat.
    Good luck!

And the word that was starred out is the angry little guy standing under a bridge! icon_lol.gif
    Great comments! thank you.
    Do you think I should still keep "IT Skill" near the top above my career history?
    I thought of changing IT skills to perhaps read as follows:

Key IT Skills
    Software: Windows 7,8/10, Linux, VMWare, Hyper-V, Exchange, Server 2012/2016
    Networking: Cisco switches and routers, DHCP, VLANS, STP, RSTP

With my career history should I write a paragraph on what I did in the role and then use about 2 to 4 bullet points for Key achievements for each job role?

Is that OK?

And
    I have now made some changes to my CV

Please check the new versions and tell me which is better? I hope this is an improvement although i'm not sure whether version 2 or 3 is better. If I missed out anything or have failed to make it better then please let me know. Thank you!:)
  • thedudeabidesthedudeabides Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Why did you leave CCNA off ver 3? They look good. Maybe add R&S to the CCNA -> CCNA R&S so people know which CCNA. It's a tiny detail and likely won't matter at all, but you never know.
    2019 Goals: CCNP R&S
    @MrXpert - Hows the hunt going? Resume looks smart. Have you been keeping abreast of current tech?