Getting blamed for other people's mistakes

thedudeabidesthedudeabides Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
Has anyone ever been in a position where you saw someone doing something wrong, you spoke up, everyone ignored you, everything then went up in flames, then after the fact they try to blame you for not speaking up "louder"?
2019 Goals: CCNP R&S

Comments

• NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes! Take your licks and move on from that place.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    isn't that how it is for everyone. have the responsibility after things go wrong, but no authority to make changes before it happens.

too bad your management hasn't learned that shooting the messenger doesn't fix any thing. The same problem is going to happen again.
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    They effectively demonstrated how to keep everyone quiet afterwards. Toxic environment.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Take it in stride and clean up your resume, because you can only take so much of that before you get jaded.
    OSCP
    MCSE: Core Infrastructure
    MCSA: Windows Server 2016
    CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ CE
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You sound like you never been around humans before. Especially those, who primarily rely on their "soft" or "people" skills to advance in life.
  • MalwareMikeMalwareMike Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes! Take your licks and move on from that place.

Good advice ^
    Current: GSEC, GCIH, GCIA, GWAPT, GYPC, RHCSA, WCNA
    2019 Goals: CISSP, Splunk certifications (Certified Core, Power User, Admin, and Architect)
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Malware_Mike

• clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    PCTechLinc wrote: »
    They effectively demonstrated how to keep everyone quiet afterwards. Toxic environment.

yep even if they see another problem about to happen. don't say anything or else it will be your fault.

very poor management. so much for continuous improvement
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    At one job, a co-worker was told to pass her duties on to me while she moved on to another assignment within our group. She intentionally gave me false information, causing me to make a big mistake. I learned the hard way to trust but verify. She also left the records she was keeping in such a bad state that it also made me look bad when presenting data to the higher ups. I had to explain to my boss that her records were crap and that I would need some time to clean everything up. I made sure to keep immaculate records. I don't know what her problem was, but I'm glad I don't have to work with her anymore. The above "take your licks and move on" advice is perfect. But until you actually can move on, make sure to leave behind a solid body of work. Do the best you can while you're there.
  • Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tedjames wrote: »
    At one job, a co-worker was told to pass her duties on to me while she moved on to another assignment within our group. She intentionally gave me false information, causing me to make a big mistake

Wow, sounds like a very toxic co-worker. It's sad that workplaces are like that but that's just reality.
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I never take blame for other's mistakes, but I do take responsibility for correcting those mistakes.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That sucks and it happens quite a bit. If you haven't already, it's time to start on your exit strategy.