Job Offer - To relocate or not

BlvdKnightBlvdKnight Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was recently offered a role as a Cybersecurity Analyst for a major security firm and am curious to get some feedback on my situation.

Pros
-Finally segue to infosec, away from desktop support (4 years) and grow infosec career
-$12,000 salary increase per year
-Bigger, livelier location

Cons
-Must relocate out-of-state to a VERY hot city (Not a fan of hot weather)
-More expensive location
-Night shift hours (11pm-7am)
-Leaving family, friends, and especially pets behind

I really love the area I'm living in now but there aren't as many opportunities to break into the security field. Any feedback you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    More information needed, if you are comfortable sharing.
    Any relocation assistance provided?
    Compared to your current location, is the cost of living less than your pay increase?
    What are the potentials for advancement in the new job?

If it were me, I would take the new job because it is an InfoSec role, I could handle the nightshift work, and being originally from AZ and raised in Saudi, heat means little to me. And having taken jobs around the world, I'm used to leaving family behind and making friends from around the world. Unless the new area costs more than the raise I would be getting or my current job has more potential for promotions, for me the Cybersecurity Analyst sounds great.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Cons
    -More expensive location

That's a lot of cons considering you might be also losing money in the cost of living trade off. I don't know what your current financial situation looks like but 12K disappears very quickly in a cost of living increase. Plus, you'll now be sleeping during the hot days and working every night, I get you want to get into infosec but I don't think I'd trade all that.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It's really hard to say. Whats important to you? Are all those cons worth advancing your career? I've relocated to advance my career when needed and it really paid off in the long run for sure.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    leaving pets behind? night shift? Ugh.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • CryptoQueCryptoQue Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If there are opportunities for you to grow within the company and/or within the new area, go for it!
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Everything else is nonsense, but leaving my doggo behind? Either we go together or stay together.
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    BlvdKnight wrote: »
    Cons
    -More expensive location

Relocation - I can deal with that, even the hot weather. Just no tornados.
    Cost of living - I live in California; I can deal with that.
    Night shift - Hopefully never again.
    Leave pets behind - I'd rather be homeless than leave behind my pets.

Overall, I'd pass.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    +1 on everything is negotiable except leaving pets behind. Unless you would leave a child behind... some people are fine with that.
  • NutsyNutsy Member Posts: 136
    Just because you move there doesn't mean you have to stay there. Quick side story.......

When I was in the military they used to be assignments called "short tours." What this usually meant is that you were assigned for one year to a base in an undesirable location, and if you had family, you couldn't take them with you. The plus of volunteering for one of these assignments was two fold: 1) usually you got a pretty sweet assignment afterwards 2) a lot of the people who were in the "subjective" promotion grades (IE: packages to get promoted) usually got promoted.

If you go there you can treat it as a short tour. Go get the experience. Cert it up. While you are there, you can build your security resume so you stand out in the market you want to move back too. Thus, the goal would be to be the big fish in a small pond by the time you go back.

HTH.
  • OnitaOnita Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It really depends on more factors that are known. I, however, would not go back to night shift unless it was a significant % and title bump.
  • BlvdKnightBlvdKnight Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow, thank you all very much for your input!

I was way wrong about the COL in the new city. It's actually 12% cheaper than my current city on top of the $12,000 increase, which is a huge pro.

The pets I mentioned are my family's actually, so luckily they will be well taken care of if I go. I have bonded with all of them. Unfortunately, some are old and will likely pass away while I'm gone, which makes me incredibly sad to think about.

My current organization has no room for advancement and I haven't really been learning new things and so there's little incentive to continue here. I work in healthcare IT and have contacts at other hospitals but none that have infosec positions/openings. It's very likely I could get a nice IT job with another hospital but it likely wouldn't be in CyberSecurity.

I'm in my early 30s and feel that if I don't make the move now, I may be aged out of CyberSecurity either by youger talent or by my lack of career flexibility as I get older.

I really love the analogy of looking at it like a "tour." It's incredibly helpful to frame it as a temporary step so that I don't feel trapped. I'm leaning toward acceptance and will need to decide by weekends end.
  • josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you're single too right? I'd go, maybe find a room to rent instead of getting a place and treat it as a trial experience. feel out the city, get the experience under your belt and decide from there.

also night shift isn't the worst thing, especially being single and new to an area without any friends. and it's an easy to way to beat the heat, and typically lots of time to study which can accelerate your growth in the field.
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    BlvdKnight wrote: »
    Wow, thank you all very much for your input!

I was way wrong about the COL in the new city. It's actually 12% cheaper than my current city on top of the $12,000 increase, which is a huge pro.

The pets I mentioned are my family's actually, so luckily they will be well taken care of if I go. I have bonded with all of them. Unfortunately, some are old and will likely pass away while I'm gone, which makes me incredibly sad to think about.

My current organization has no room for advancement and I haven't really been learning new things and so there's little incentive to continue here. I work in healthcare IT and have contacts at other hospitals but none that have infosec positions/openings. It's very likely I could get a nice IT job with another hospital but it likely wouldn't be in CyberSecurity.

I'm in my early 30s and feel that if I don't make the move now, I may be aged out of CyberSecurity either by youger talent or by my lack of career flexibility as I get older.

I really love the analogy of looking at it like a "tour." It's incredibly helpful to frame it as a temporary step so that I don't feel trapped. I'm leaning toward acceptance and will need to decide by weekends end.

In light of this new information, it seems a no brainer to take the new job. The pets you care a lot about are already well taken care of, you stated your current job has little growth potential.

LOL and please, 30s is not old. Hell I didn't even get my first real IT job until I was 40. Always be open to new ideas, especially from the later generation. Always study and learn something, doesn't have to be IT related, just keep your brain working.

Anyway, let us know what you decide and how it goes.
  • Daneil3144Daneil3144 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So not really your dogs...They are your moms and dads dogs?
  • rsxwithslicksrsxwithslicks Member Posts: 75 ■■■□□□□□□□
    you're single too right? I'd go, maybe find a room to rent instead of getting a place and treat it as a trial experience. feel out the city, get the experience under your belt and decide from there.
    This.. You could just find a furnished room for cheap to rent while you get settled in. Make sure that it's the right fit for you before committing to a lease/utilities/etc. Then no pressure if the job doesn't work out..
    Daneil3144 wrote: »
    So not really your dogs...They are your moms and dads dogs?
    "Ohana means family. Family means no one gets left behind.."