Scheduled my test. Nervous!

D20D20 Member Posts: 124 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey everyone,
Well, i scheduled my 220-902 for July 2nd. Super nervous about it as i really get test anxiety!!! I have been studying for several months now. I passed my 901 in August, but just barely.

My study materials for the 902 are:
Professor Messer Study Guide/Pop Quiz questions
Professor Messer 220-902 videos
Mike Meyer's A+ All in one book
Udemy 220-902 videos
CompTIA Certmaster (came with my test voucher)
examcompass practice tests
MeasureUp 220-902 practice questions
CompTIA A+ Training app on iPhone

Currently i study about 1-2 hrs/day and i study in between calls at work as well. I know this all sounds like overkill probably, but again...I get REALLY BAD test anxiety and then to just lock up when taking tests.

Here's to studying and praying i pass this next test in July!
Certifications: A+ Sec+ isc(2) CC Google Cybersecurity Certification 2024 Goals: Pass the Network+ Exam

Comments

• Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's not overkill. Sometimes you can pass a test by just reading a book. However the information really sinks in when you approach it from many angles. Make sure you get a little hands on. Take apart an old PC or just browse a used computer parts store.

Good Luck!
    Jon
  • SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You're good. I used to study between calls at my first IT job and a few hours a day at home as well. This is an investment in yourself so it's not overkill. Just remember on the day of your exam to not study, may even before the day of the exam. Just relax, have a good breakfast, do something else you like to do to keep your mind off it and then take the exam. Try to motivate yourself by speaking positive things aloud, such as "I am smart. I got this! I will pass this exam." Relaxing is another part of prepping that most people don't do.
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
    Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
    Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've failed miserably on plenty of cert exams in the past. I've failed A+, CCNA, and Microsoft exams multiple times. The only thing I can say is as you pass more, it makes you more confident. I had to pass the MCSA: Server 2008 for my Bachelor's degree, and I failed the 70-642 3 times. I passed on the 4th try, after over 9 months of continuous studying. Fast forward, I haven't failed an exam since, including passing CISSP on the first try. You'll get there!
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You got this!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • D20D20 Member Posts: 124 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    It's not overkill. Sometimes you can pass a test by just reading a book. However the information really sinks in when you approach it from many angles. Make sure you get a little hands on. Take apart an old PC or just browse a used computer parts store.

Good Luck!
    Jon

Will do! At my current IT job i'm comfortable with taking apart a computer and putting it back together and i really enjoy that kind of work. It breaks the monotony of calls for sure. Thanks for the advice as well! :)
    You're good. I used to study between calls at my first IT job and a few hours a day at home as well. This is an investment in yourself so it's not overkill. Just remember on the day of your exam to not study, may even before the day of the exam. Just relax, have a good breakfast, do something else you like to do to keep your mind off it and then take the exam. Try to motivate yourself by speaking positive things aloud, such as "I am smart. I got this! I will pass this exam." Relaxing is another part of prepping that most people don't do.

I may have to try this. I remember when i took the 901 i woke up really early and studied like crazy up until i walked in the door for the test. During that test i kept 2nd guessing myself on almost every other question. Thank you for the advice! :)
    I've failed miserably on plenty of cert exams in the past. I've failed A+, CCNA, and Microsoft exams multiple times. The only thing I can say is as you pass more, it makes you more confident. I had to pass the MCSA: Server 2008 for my Bachelor's degree, and I failed the 70-642 3 times. I passed on the 4th try, after over 9 months of continuous studying. Fast forward, I haven't failed an exam since, including passing CISSP on the first try. You'll get there!

I have yet to fail a test, but i'm DEATHLY afraid of doing so. Probably one reason i am going overkill on the study materials. You passed your CISSP!!!! I'm hoping one day i can say the same for myself!
    You got this!! icon_thumright.gif

Many thanks!!!
    Certifications: A+ Sec+ isc(2) CC Google Cybersecurity Certification 2024 Goals: Pass the Network+ Exam
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Also give you the opportunity to fail. After all it is only 200$ USD. No one will fire you! Allowing you to fail will decrease your anxiety, and will help you succeed the first time.

Also, most people around you don't care if you are A+ or not... They just see it as something important for you.. not for them. It is important for your career, but usually it doesn't matter for your girlfriend, kids or friends. Failing will give you the opportunity to learn where you are weak and come back stronger later.
  • bluewarlord8bluewarlord8 Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey there,

I failed my 902 twice, re-taking it in a week. Your study guides are awesome; Meyers and Prof messer are awesome for revision. Only advice I have is that you need to do as many practice exams as possible and make sure you go over all the topics once over again. Tick mark the 902 exam objectives once you study over the topic. Good luck and go for it. Be confident, Drink plenty of water so your whole body is hydrated, consume a fair amount of sugar as it helps when memorizing stuff.

You've got this. I can't wait to see you tell us that you passed. Hopefully both of us will be A+ Certified by the end of the month.
    Certs: CompTIA A+, MTA: Server Admin, CCST - Networking & Azure Fundamentals.
  • NiTech-5NiTech-5 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck with the preparation.
    • Education: BA; MA (a concentration in Cyber/IT Risk Management); Later: MS in Cybersecurity @ WGU, 2020
    • Certs in Progress: Security+ Sy0-501 (late-August or early Sept 2018 )
    • Late 2018/ Early 2019 Goals: CCENT then CCNA Security
    • Self-Taught Programming: Python; SQL (basic)
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't be nervous. Be confident!

Good luck!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
    Also give you the opportunity to fail. After all it is only 200$ USD. No one will fire you! Allowing you to fail will decrease your anxiety, and will help you succeed the first time.

Also, most people around you don't care if you are A+ or not... They just see it as something important for you.. not for them. It is important for your career, but usually it doesn't matter for your girlfriend, kids or friends. Failing will give you the opportunity to learn where you are weak and come back stronger later.

I understand your point. I'm just really hard o myself and if i can help it...i'd really like to pass with all the studying i have been doing.

Hey there,

I failed my 902 twice, re-taking it in a week. Your study guides are awesome; Meyers and Prof messer are awesome for revision. Only advice I have is that you need to do as many practice exams as possible and make sure you go over all the topics once over again. Tick mark the 902 exam objectives once you study over the topic. Good luck and go for it. Be confident, Drink plenty of water so your whole body is hydrated, consume a fair amount of sugar as it helps when memorizing stuff.

You've got this. I can't wait to see you tell us that you passed. Hopefully both of us will be A+ Certified by the end of the month.

I think total i have probably somewhere around 2-3000 practice questions. IMO MeasureUp stuff is the most closely worded to how the 901 was. I'll make sure i'm plenty hydrated.

Good luck on your re-take! Let us know how you do! I'm sure you will do great!
    Good luck with the preparation.

Thank you!
    Don't be nervous. Be confident!

Good luck!

Thank you!

I intend to go in well prepared :)
  • bluewarlord8bluewarlord8 Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I Passed the A+ today!
    Certs: CompTIA A+, MTA: Server Admin, CCST - Networking & Azure Fundamentals.
    I Passed the A+ today!
    Congrats!!!

I'm praying i can say the same on July 2nd!!!
    PASSED MY 220-902 TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I wish i would've done better, but.....a pass is a pass!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and the all the great info here on Tech Exams!

On to Security+!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • techbitstechbits Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey mate, well done! :) That was quite a bit of study you outlined there in the first post, I guess it payed off. GL for your Security+!
  • SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats!
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
    Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
    Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise
  • Domm362Domm362 Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!! Your hard work paid off! Passed my 220-902 exam over the weekend as well. It's a great feeling!
    "Winners focus on winning. Losers focus on winners."
    Domm362 wrote: »
    Congrats!!! Your hard work paid off! Passed my 220-902 exam over the weekend as well. It's a great feeling!

Congrats to you as well!!! It really is a great feeling!!!

I'm on to Security + now.
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    D20 wrote: »
    PASSED MY 220-902 TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I wish i would've done better, but.....a pass is a pass!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and the all the great info here on Tech Exams!

On to Security+!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats and yep, a pass is a pass! And you can knock out Sec+ as well, just remember what you did to pass A+.