Should I get my AA degree?

Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello, I have a previous AA degree in general education/studies with a low gpa below 3.0 and was wondering if I should get my AA degree in computer networking at another junior college? I have a 3.43 gpa at my other college and have completed the core major classes for an AA degree and would basically need to transfer my credits over from my previous college and maybe have to take an extra class or two for GE to obtain my AA. Hopefully I don't have to to take any or too many extra GE classes. I'm concerned that it may lower gpa but I'm willing to take a slight hit as long as it stayed above 3.0. If I do decide to get my AA than I'll most likely go on to some online university like WGU to obtain my 2nd bachelors in IT. Only a handful of employers or less have asked for my GPA and I've never been asked for my transcripts.

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You already have a Bachelor's and you're thinking of going back for a 2nd Associates? While I think that taking classes to gain a skill is the right thing to do, a 2nd degree at the same level is mostly useless. Look at the course list, how many of these are classes you want to take and have a certification associated with them? Take the class for the info it offers, skip the extra degree. Same thing holds for the 2nd Bachelor's, mostly useless.
  • Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    EANx wrote: »
    You already have a Bachelor's and you're thinking of going back for a 2nd Associates? While I think that taking classes to gain a skill is the right thing to do, a 2nd degree at the same level is mostly useless. Look at the course list, how many of these are classes you want to take and have a certification associated with them? Take the class for the info it offers, skip the extra degree. Same thing holds for the 2nd Bachelor's, mostly useless.

Well it would be for an IT degree instead of just some general liberal arts. I do get what you're saying though and there are variety of difference of opinions. When you don't have much experience/education or what not, I think it would be beneficial to have a specific degree in IT and I've known people who have done this and are very successful in there careers.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't think you need another degree. Certainly if you already have a Bachelor's degree there is no reason to get an Associates for work reasons.

If you just want to be in a classroom go for it. However getting a job that moves you in the right direction or a certification that gives you some knowledge you are lacking would probably be better career wise.

Good Luck!
    Jon
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Basic85 wrote: »
    ...maybe have to take an extra class or two for GE to obtain my AA. Hopefully I don't have to to take any or too many extra GE classes. I'm concerned that it may lower gpa but I'm willing to take a slight hit as long as it stayed above 3.0.
    If I do decide to get my AA than I'll most likely go on to some online university like WGU to obtain my 2nd bachelors in IT. Only a handful of employers or less have asked for my GPA and I've never been asked for my transcripts.

For the part in RED,
    i probably wouldnt pursue the 'Bachelors'.

But Other than that,
    if its really just a few extra classes; i think getting that AA is a great way to "game" the system :]

You obviously are committed to pursuing a career in IT; so i think a more relevant AA will definitely be a good ROI (considering you can get it with little effort).

And you are correct:
    Outside of academia, nobody really cares what GPA you had.

They just care that you completed the degree.

lol
    my goodness; its actually pretty funny, when i think about it...
    I wonder what other BS i was led to believe growing up??

EDIT:
    "Getting a 30-year mortgage is a great idea!"
    yeah...... there's another one.
    (i'll stop now)
  • Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the input guys! When I'm getting is mixed, so if I get the AA degree even with a low gpa great but if I don't than it's not a deal breaker. I've already earned a few school certificate of achievements/accomplishments so that's going on my resume but the AA would help. I'm definitely going to gain more certifications like CCNA soon.

I guess it's also the competition, I see they have degrees in IT and so I feel I should get one too. Yes, I have a bachelor's but it's non-IT, which was a mistake itself but different story.
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Take a look at the job postings in your area. If you find that more than say 20% want that degree to be in IT then go for it. If they only say "Bachelor's" without specifying then they typically don't care if it's MIS, CS or Art History and your ROI will be far better if you take that time and cost and direct it toward certifications.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I have a AA in IT with years of experience. The postings that want a BS, also state OR xx years of experience.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm finishing (finally) my B.S in IT. Believe me though if I had earned a balcheor's degree in psychology or some liberal art degree in my 20s I would not be doing this. Having any degree is good enough once you have your foot in the door.

The degree is just a checkbox unless you plan on going for a master's degree.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Honestly, if you already have a bachelor's degree I wouldn't get a second one. Why not get a Master's in IT from WGU? You'll get some certifications and if you are already working in the field you should be good to go to get past HR departments. About 80% of the people I worked with in IT did not have a degree in IT of CS. Typically they had a bunch of certs and some experience, which for us it the big part of it.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You guys have to pause and consider that OP is not you :]

OP does Not have "Years of Experience" already under the belt.

Nowadays, Breaking into IT is more competitive than back in the 90's.

just say'in :]