Options

Girlfriend convinced me to stay in school

Ungadunga911Ungadunga911 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
So my girlfriend had a serious talk with me and it basically boiled down to yes, a well rounded liberal arts degree isn't for me, i have to use for it in the real world, but that i should stay and finish out the last year. So all i have left is 2 classes in C++, calculus, unix, internet information server, cgi programming, sql, project managment, internetwork design and an internship. Looking at all the classes i still dont get why my school has me taking all of this programming, i guess networkers need to know it ? i defiantly wouldnt apply for a job that wanted me to do programming. Not my cup of tea.

Comments

• Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A rather typical scenario. Women have higher scores on agreeableness and conscientiousness scales on average, so they, on average, everything else is equal, have a higher preference to a) enroll in college b) get it done once enrolled.

Good thing you have a girlfriend, as, on average, college is beneficial down the road no matter what knowledge/skill were acquired (you will die from age before anyone looks at your music composition course and asks questions about it) as the college for majority of employers is just a checkbox to mark.

She cares about your future wages, so if you make a family you have something to pay your bills with and rear your children without too much hardship.

Also, with time chances are you will slow down and come to appreciate this decision to stay and get it done... unless, of course, you decide to drop again next week.
  • Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    ... unless, of course, you decide to drop again next week.

I was really trying to think of a nice way to say this.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    i still dont get why my school has me taking all of this programming, i guess networkers need to know it ? i defiantly wouldnt apply for a job that wanted me to do programming. Not my cup of tea.
    Unless you are working for a small shop where everything is done manually, most of the interesting net/sys engineering jobs require basic script programming. That would be doubly true for any devops team if you are interested in working in a company that uses cloud technologies or large enterprises that have large networks.