If You Could Change Anything About TechExams, What Would You Change?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
Do you have ideas that could improve and grow the community? Share them in this thread!

P.S. SSL is coming!

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Updated exams.
    Better filter to catch those who try to scam members.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • ksijurksijur Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Update the sticky posts where relevant.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The layout/design. Assuming it has looked the same for like 10+ years?
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Less subject areas....

2003 MCSE forum section is an incredible waste of space same with Novell etc......

Create an archive section and move the content that use to be relevant and on the front page under the archive section so if you need to review that information you can go there.
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Maybe some type of live chat with members who are online at the time.
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Update the site. Looks dated.
    I like the live chat idea. Would be fun. Maybe have sub-chat areas that could be used for study groups (I guess that'd probably go to Discord - maybe have a dedicated forum for setting up study groups?).
    Update subject areas a bit (and I like the other topic of new forums, which sounds like it's already in the plans).
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Adding subforums for the new CompTIA exams.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Clean-up old stickies. If something was stickied 6+ years ago and hasn't been used in 3, get rid of it. This goes double for stickies about specific exams that have been retired. I would suggest that there should never be a sticky about a specific exam version, you know it's just a matter of time before it's retired. Examples include:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/virtualization/51260-70-669-resources.html
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/virtualization/49205-70-693-resources.html
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/virtualization/95566-vcap5-dcd-resources.html
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/a/47249-comptia-220-701-2009-edition.html
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/security/59431-sy0-301-comptia-security-2011-a.html
    etc.

I don't mind the small ads but detest the full-page ads

Add a sub-forum for the CompTIA PenTest+ exam

Give the OSCP/Offensive-Security its own forum
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    1. Nix the full page ads
    2. Chat for online people would be awesome
    3. Offensive Security sub forum would be ideal
    4. HTTPS

And please for the love of everything holy, don’t update the site to one of these new modern UIs. The current site may be dated but it’s highly functional and easy to see what you want at a glance.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Great points by the others already. For me, it'd be something that keeps bringing the ol' timers back.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm not sure if it's just me and/or my browser, but I can't login to TE when viewing in mobile and selecting the desktop view / option.
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Add a new member forum in the general section with a dedicated moderator.
    Put some general stickies in the newbie forum:
    1). Please make an individual introduction post!! Explain what needs to be done to gain access to the rest of the forum after making an intro.
    a). Newbies must create an Intro post with basic information (What brought them to TE?
    b). What certs do they have or are pursuing? ... so forth.
    c). The newbie must make 4~9 more posts before being allowed into the wild. This would put all of the trolls and spammers into one forum but also give the newbie and TE members a chance to build rapport.
    2). - How to edit your profile
    3). - How to use the search function
    4). - Things to not do on TE
    a). Advocate using **** as the main source for prepping for an exam
    b). Advertising **** or apps
    c). Being crass or making off topic posts

Make the posters who constantly push certain sites (**** sites, recruiting services, and so forth) purchase advertising space.
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    kaiju wrote: »
    Make the posters who constantly push certain sites (**** sites, recruiting services, and so forth) purchase advertising space.
    How do we do that?

HTTPS : Let's Encrypt SSL certs are free or you can use CloudFlare.
    Sub forums for offsec, eLS and GIAC.
    Ensure that this site remains free.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Great suggestions so far! Keep them coming. :)

Please feel free to add new category suggestions (and vote on proposed categories) here: http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/133112-vote-new-categories-here.html
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod

We're against **** so I don't think even allowing them to pay for advertising would be a good thing
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Gotta agree with getting rid of the full page ads. I have no issues with ads, but getting sucked into a full page is awful.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    We're against **** so I don't think even allowing them to pay for advertising would be a good thing

Paying for advertising was actually meant for recruiting sites and legitimate study aids that are not a ****.
    Paying for advertising was actually meant for recruiting sites and legitimate study aids that are not a ****.

You did specifically say **** sites icon_razz.gif

"Make the posters who constantly push certain sites (**** sites, recruiting services, and so forth) purchase advertising space."
    You did specifically say **** sites icon_razz.gif

"Make the posters who constantly push certain sites (**** sites, recruiting services, and so forth) purchase advertising space."

I guess I will also make a useless post.

I would edit my post but might as well leave it there so people can not contribute to the topic at hand....icon_razz.gif
    When you add someone to your ignore list their posts show up bright red... Can we make it so we don't see anything? The bright red is almost worst!

(sometimes it is needed)
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    It would be nice if we could change our usernames but maybe thats just me :) I'm tired of having a 10 year old name. Eventually, I'm sure "NetworkNewb" won't feel like such a "Newb" anymore or NetworkingStudent won't be a student anymore :P
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    +1 name changes icon_thumright.gif
    +1 Offensive Security Forum bowing.gif
    +1 Rep Identification Signature. Lets keep people honest with reps by showing who they are icon_twisted.gif
    +1 The full page ads.... icon_cry.gif
    +1 Slack Channel w/ Web integration :D
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    TechExams Dating site? :)
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    1 - To avoid spammers I would suggest blocking new users from posting links.
    2 - Possibly limit the number of posts per hour/day a new user can make.
    3 - Clean up some old groups to keep the list relevant.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    1 - To avoid spammers I would suggest blocking new users from posting links.

This is already mostly in place. The vast majority are moderated before anyone ever sees them. I'm sure most people notice it's pretty clean of spam here compared to a lot of online forums. Not perfect though!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Offensive Security Forum topic please!
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I 2nd being able to change the username..
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The moderating seems to be a little heavy handed. It seems that a lot of posts get deleted for no reason at all. For a while; posts even broaching the topic of techexams not having SSL were deleted. I would much rather have thread locked, if possible, and a reason stated for it being locked closed by the moderators than outright deleted.
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    An option to have ad free paid membership for a small yearly fee would be nice.
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Definitely going to throw another vote in for a section revision. Maybe move the older/not relevant certifications to a "Retired" section.