Networking

XepherXepher Member Posts: 184 ■■■■□□□□□□
So everyone knows when you're looking for a position in a job you want, networking is a great way to meet recruiters, hiring managers etc. What do you guys think are some advantages and disadvantages of networking? How can someone overcome some of these disadvantages? What are some of the best routes to network?
V/R

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    job fairs are excellent to set up contacts. Former colleagues...
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • XepherXepher Member Posts: 184 ■■■■□□□□□□
    job fairs are excellent to set up contacts. Former colleagues...

I didn't write this for myself, just seeing what others do, was actually looking for a complex answer, not something I can google lol. I'll answer my own question with my methodology, but still would like ideas on this concept so thanks for this I suppose.

What do you guys think are some advantages and disadvantages of networking?

Some advantages of networking are, it broadens your resources for contacts to potential future employment and this allows you to gain a unique advantage over candidates even before a position is open. A disadvantage would be if you decided to network and your rapport comes off negative, your candidacy may be limited, I.E. how you hold yourself up, your dress attire and verbiage.

How can someone overcome some of these disadvantages?

Practice at it, practice your professionalism and obtain knowledge on the position or topic to be relevant when networking.

What are some of the best routes to network?

Nowadays, social media is a key to networking, lots of these engines utilize profile fields such as jobs, location etc and are public unless privacy is defined by the user, it's not difficult to start a conversation with someone in a field you're interested at, but make sure you're relevant with that specific topic. Examples below:

Linkedin
    Facebook
    Craigslist

V/R

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    ah, okay. never mind..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    imo, for someone without a reputation, I would join whatever local tech meetups i could find on meetups.com.

networking = going out to meet people.
    reputation = people know you without you knowing them.

imo a good reputation is at least as important as a cert.
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Node Man wrote: »
    imo, for someone without a reputation, I would join whatever local tech meetups i could find on meetups.com.

networking = going out to meet people.
    reputation = people know you without you knowing them.

imo a good reputation is at least as important as a cert.

This right here. Not only is it fun, it's very relevant to your interests, and you can grow your knowledge. And those people you're talking with work in other companies and can be your way in. They also get to know you (and you get to know them), so it can almost be an informal interview when a job opens up.

Of course, it's also very fun and keeps you learning.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't see much of a downside or disadvantage to networking but it is real work and it takes a real effort to maintain an effective and meaningful network. If there's any disadvantage to networking, I imagine that for people like myself who are naturally introverted, regularly extending oneself can be mentally exhausting.

As for routes to networking, meeting people isn't particularly difficult for me. I don't go to meetups, conferences, etc. There's plenty of people to get to know just from customers, vendors, and folks that I work with.

I also don't believe in networking through social media. But I do use social media such as LinkedIn to manage my network. I get the usual share of random requests to connect on LinkedIn. Normally, I ignore random LinkedIn requests unless it is accompanied by a well written introduction - which in some cases, I will respond even if I don't connect with that person.

It's always been interesting to me that there are persistent complaints on this forum about recruiters and sales people. For me, depending on how someone reached out to me, I'll always entertain a quick conversation or email exchange. I think it's just common courtesy. In fact, I took 2 calls today - one from a recruiter, and a second from a sales person.

My philosophy on networking is pretty simple:
    1. You never know where a relationship can take you.
    2. Don't build a relationship based on your own self-need.
    3. Don't discriminate based on the other person's job or their professional level.

I also have some pretty simple rules that I try my darnest to be discipline about.
    1. Try to help someone in my network at least once a week.
    2. Reach out to at least one person in my network every day - even if it's just to say "hi".
    3. Always accept an introduction from someone in my network.
    4. And conversely provide an introduction when asked.

I think I've mentioned it before but pretty much every career opportunity that I received is because of my network. But I don't necessarily see building a network as simply a means to future employment.

For me, professional networking isn't trying to connect with someone because you need something. In all cases, it simply because I enjoyed a particular rapport or interest with that person.
  • Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ^^^^ Alot of wisdom right there.

I'ld like to add that I dont really meet people on LinkedIn, but I do tend to find/add them after I meet them in real life.
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    @Paul78.....Great Advice...Thanks for sharing!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • XepherXepher Member Posts: 184 ■■■■□□□□□□
    paul78 wrote: »
    My philosophy on networking is pretty simple:
    1. You never know where a relationship can take you.
    2. Don't build a relationship based on your own self-need.
    3. Don't discriminate based on the other person's job or their professional level.
    I also have some pretty simple rules that I try my darnest to be discipline about.
    1. Try to help someone in my network at least once a week.
    2. Reach out to at least one person in my network every day - even if it's just to say "hi".
    3. Always accept an introduction from someone in my network.
    4. And conversely provide an introduction when asked.
    I think I've mentioned it before but pretty much every career opportunity that I received is because of my network. But I don't necessarily see building a network as simply a means to future employment.

For me, professional networking isn't trying to connect with someone because you need something. In all cases, it simply because I enjoyed a particular rapport or interest with that person.

Thanks for this information this is great, this knowledge I'll be able to use for myself and future networks, actually as I'm sitting here in the Am, one of my colleagues back in the US hit messaged me about helping out someone he knows, I'm very enthusiastic about helping a brother out in the game, especially growing my contacts for like minds.

I actually almost follow your guidelines naturally, in my world as a contractor your network reaches out to you for opportunities even when not looking for anything, but also it's a 2-way street if opportunity or information I acquire I know would help someone in my network, I pass the information forward.

I'm going to add on to your philosophy...sort of... Bring your fellow brothern up if you will, there is so much opportunity out there and given a chance to help another excel or teaching your wisdom through yourself or others the universe will reciprocate this downline. What I mean by this whether if it's work or outside of work and someone doesn't know something or is having trouble understanding and you have that knowledge, share it.

What i've learned from doing this, is that you never know what teaching or helping someone may teach you.
    V/R