Material for 70-411

Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello all,

It's been a while since I posted after passing my 410 exam. Had to take a break because of family issue we were having. Now that it's calm down I'm ready to continue my goal on getting my mcsa for now. I was wondering what current material would be good to study.

Currently I have "Administering Windows Server 2012r2 Exam Ref 70-411 by Charlie Russel", and MCSA Windows Server 2012r2 Administration Study Guide Exam 70-411 " by William Panek.

I haven't started either book but was wondering if there are better material then those 2 or If I should start with those for now.

I finished watching the plurasight videos for 411. Notice there's a lot material I need to learn. I would like to read something and not just watch the video.

Please let me know i'm thinking of taking the exam Aug or sooner.

Thanks everyone.
2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
2021 - *Security+*
2022 - * Pen Tester*

Comments

• srocky26srocky26 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I usually use the Exam Ref books to study.
  • Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    srocky26 wrote: »
    I usually use the Exam Ref books to study.

You mean this book right? "Administering Windows Server 2012r2 Exam Ref 70-411 by Charlie Russel"

I notice this book was published in 2014 . it's like 4 years old wonder if the material is still the same or if there's updated reading material. I guess I will start with that for now. Hopefully that will help.

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • Khalifa_ITKhalifa_IT Member Posts: 14 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

I'd like to start my MCSA journey on this summer and I'm wondering how to start ?

Any advice ?
    Khalifa_IT wrote: »
    Hi,

I'd like to start my MCSA journey on this summer and I'm wondering how to start ?

Any advice ?

Well here's a place you could start. Will break it down for you if you want 2012 or 2016

MCSA 2012
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/mcsa-windows-server-certification.aspx

MCSA 2016
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/mcsa-windows-server-2016-certification.aspx

Hope this helps.

My Goal for the Future
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
    Hello all,

Well I been reading MCSA Windows Server 2012r2 Administration Study Guide Exam 70-411 " by William Panek the Sybex version one.

I have to say this book is not like others. it's like reading short descriptions and not really getting into the topic. I don't know if this will help when taking the 70-411 exam. Still really haven't found a up to date book I could go off of. Most people have moved on to 2016 material now. I have until the end of the month to get ready for my exam.

Any suggestion on books or something I could read?

My Goal for the Future
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • AvgITGeekAvgITGeek Member Posts: 342 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Anything Panek is garbage IMHO. I've posted what resources I've used for this along with several others. Do a search for this exam and you should find something. Even though it has been more than a year since getting this, all I can remember is using PluralSight and technet and technet and technet and technet.
    Microsoft expects you to know more than the basic stuff for this exam.
    Sorry to be so vague. Run through labs, labs, labs, labs and then read technet articles on it. That is how I did it. Yes, I failed my first attempt.
  • malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used all books for my exams and you cant get any better than technet and labs for reading. I found the books always to be out of date or the 2nd edition takes too long to come out so you might aswell spend the time on technet.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

I used all books for my exams and you cant get any better than technet and labs for reading. I found the books always to be out of date or the 2nd edition takes too long to come out so you might aswell spend the time on technet.

One of my co-works said she got lost on that site looking for 2012 r2 material for the exam. I haven't looked at the site maybe tonight I see what I could find. I don't know if they just have a section for 70-411 exam material or you have to look around for it.

My Goal for the Future
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Louie1277 wrote: »
    One of my co-works said she got lost on that site looking for 2012 r2 material for the exam. I haven't looked at the site maybe tonight I see what I could find. I don't know if they just have a section for 70-411 exam material or you have to look around for it.

You have to look round for it but a simple Google search takes you there. The website is now organised for Server 2016 so it's abit harder to find Server 2012 stuff. Many articles will state Server 2008/2012/2016 if it applies to all or one.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□

Something to remember is that the server/client exams aren't always updated in line with the software. When I was sitting 70-686, there were a couple of objectives that had been completely deprecated to the point that the software wasn't even publicly available any more, but they were still fair game for the exam.

Although I do agree, that technet is basically the font of all knowledge. I use it extensively for any Microsoft exam.
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE