SANS Training Program for CISSP Certification 2018

bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
I would love to buy these for prepping for the CISSP, but look at the price tag! $1,600 for 8 books??? Why so much?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SANS-MGT414-SANS-Training-Program-for-CISSP-Certification-2018/192620267347?hash=item2cd9100753:g:-X8AAOSwCA5baYV6
2021 Goals (2): SSCP, eCPPT
Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science

Comments

• Tekn0logyTekn0logy Member Posts: 113 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bjpeter wrote: »
    I would love to buy these for prepping for the CISSP, but look at the price tag! $1,600 for 8 books??? Why so much?

Official class is $6,200: https://www.sans.org/registration/register.php?conferenceid=1032
    For $1,600 I would just enroll in the local community college and take a few infosec and IT management courses. IMHO, not worth buying on ebay since you probably wont have any rights to errata, revision updates or online pdf/epub/mobi and are probably already obsolete.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Are you familiar with SANS at all? Since they are the absolute best security training in the world their stuff commands a lot of money. It’s worth mentioning two things:
    - SANS courseware license states it can’t be sold. The people selling books on eBay certainly lack ethics and so does whoever buys them. Seems counterintuitive given that this is a big topic in security and especially the CISSP.
    - As much as I love SANS I think it makes zero sense to take their CISSP class given the cost. What you will get out of the class or books for this particular cert can be obtained elesewhere for cheap or even free.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    - As much as I love SANS I think it makes zero sense to take their CISSP class given the cost. What you will get out of the class or books for this particular cert can be obtained elesewhere for cheap or even free.
    Absolutely agree! Nothing in the SANS material for the CISSP is unique, as it's not a GIAC/SANS exam. The CISSP is mostly experienced based and you can pick up the rest from some free training videos and a book or two.
    Understood that SANS is undeniably the authority for infosec, however not worth buying their materials off Ebay as you lose a very important relationship with SANS. No updates no corrections nor any access to online materials would be a showstopper for me. I've purchased the official ISC2 study guide, albeit v7, however I have legal access to a PDF version, tests and flashcards. $1600 and not being able to access on my tablet would be another dealbreaker as after purchasing ISC2's study guide, the novelty of carrying a bible sized book every day quickly wore off. Lastly, how do you verify the authenticity of ebay merchandise? I think the market for material like that (on ebay) is probably countries that SANS may be forbidden doing business with.
  • bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Are you familiar with SANS at all? Since they are the absolute best security training in the world their stuff commands a lot of money. It’s worth mentioning two things:
    - SANS courseware license states it can’t be sold. The people selling books on eBay certainly lack ethics and so does whoever buys them. Seems counterintuitive given that this is a big topic in security and especially the CISSP.

It’s the first time I am aware of SANS.

I am not going to do a boot camp or any other type of training. I saw one for Honolulu going for $3,750. Too much money. I passed all my other certs without training, so I am just going to pick up a cheap and legal copy of a book from Sybex, etc. and read it.
    2021 Goals (2): SSCP, eCPPT
    Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science
    bjpeter wrote: »
    It’s the first time I am aware of SANS.
    icon_eek.gif

You know you can get Sec+ CEUs from their webinars?