Options

Critical Feedbacks on my CV / Resume

pierrevillerespierrevilleres Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have been out of work for several months due to pursuing engineering exams and taking care of my sick dad. I have updated my CV and need some help please. I hope to get employment as a Network Engineer.Looking forward to hearing your comments and suggestions. I would really appreciate your feedback especially critical and honest ones since I understand that a lot has to be modified.I know this may appear as a misword but I really love working with IT technologies and gaining as much knowledge as I can.

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Dude! All that blacked out VERY personal stuff is visible. Go fix that ASAP!
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Get rid of training and seminars, move skills and certs on the bottom, summary can be moved to a cover letter. WRITE paragraphs on your experience and get rid of the bullets.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Unless you are applying for a creative or design role.. keep your CV classic and traditional.

2 pages max
    Format should go as follows: 1. Summary 2. Experience 3. Education followed by certifications and tech skills. Less bullet points and more summary statements on how you excelled at all your previous roles.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    "My reports, presentations and spreadsheets show that it’s been given attention to detail."
    I normally wouldn't include a sentence like that because it is extraneous padding. But you have the grammar wrong, which contradicts the entire statement. Reports/presentations/spreadsheets is plural, so we're working with "they've" not "it's" but either way, this is an awkwardly worded sentence.

It looks kinda pretty as if the person who created it put a lot of time into the design, although it comes off looking like a brochure to me instead of a resume. I can see how this might annoy some hiring managers. Maybe it might impress others, I don't know.

The formatting might be appropriate for some kind of creative role or perhaps a journalist or something. As currently stands, the format will render differently depending on the PDF reader used (in my case Document Viewer), which will may mess up the alignment of things on the page (I can't tell but it might be doing that for me):

Also, some people get annoyed seeing CCIE-written on a resume. I have no opinion on it personally.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    The only way that sentence makes some sense is replacing “it’s” with “they have” as it is obvious he means that the documents he produced demonstrate attention to detail. Still, the sentence seems like filler material and doesn’t add much value to the resume.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Agree with cyberguypr, mention of plural then reference to them in the singular means it's grammatically incorrect. (To be fair, we're referring to someone for whom English probably isn't the first language, working in the Middle East.) I also never like when someone says "attention to detail", it seems that the ones who say it are the ones that have problems with the resume, like the both the grammar and the bit referenced where personal info was still accessible. "Attention to detail" means different things to different people. If your resume isn't 100% perfect, it shouldn't be mentioned.
  • Options
    cshkurucshkuru Member Posts: 246 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It looks like you are in the Philippines and different countries have different standards for resumes so I am not going to comment on format etc. My biggest thing would be that you have CCIE written listed from 2016 but nothing about CCIE lab. That makes it seem like you are trying to pass as a CCIE without doing the rest of the work. If you had something like lab scheduled Sept 2018 or awaiting lab availability that would alleviate that a bit. Just my opinion. (If you had just passed the written a couple months ago this wouldn't be an issue, but it's been two years and everyone knows the labs are a ***** but you appear stalled on paper at least).
  • Options
    AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Different countries are different, but in the US I actually would have skipped this resume. And I have hired network engineers.

Here is the thing. I scrolled to the bottom of a three year resume... And that's where I start as an engineer. So my thoughts were you would have 20-30 years of experience. Then I see 4 years. Then I would skip it. I literally would move to the next.

Length is generally 1 page per ten years. Possibly an extra page for tech.

Seminars if listed you be on the back. Certs go LAST.

You really have something eye catching but confusing. Remember if they have your resume they have a hundred more to go through. Catch them fast.

Just my thoughts. Hope they help. And if things are different in the UAE, my apologies. Just giving a hiring managers thoughts.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • Options
    cshkurucshkuru Member Posts: 246 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Here is the thing. I scrolled to the bottom of a three year resume... And that's where I start as an engineer. So my thoughts were you would have 20-30 years of experience. Then I see 4 years. Then I would skip it. I literally would move to the next.

I don't know what this means?

I keep hearing this and I disagree, especially if you are working contract jobs at places like Microsoft, Google, and Amazon, where you have to leave every 12 months. If you are sticking with this rule in my opinion you are out of step with the times and missing a lot of experience.
  • Options
    AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cshkuru wrote: »

I don't know what this means?

I keep hearing this and I disagree, especially if you are working contract jobs at places like Microsoft, Google, and Amazon, where you have to leave every 12 months. If you are sticking with this rule in my opinion you are out of step with the times and missing a lot of experience.

That's what the plus one page for tech was. But unless your going for a contract job... Your going to hit that wall. Believe me... The world isn't nice to excessively long resumes. Heck I had to shorten mine even for RFPs!

But here is the thing. I am not going through that much text for someone with four years of experience. It's just too much. Remember a resume is to get in the door, not get you the job. You cover you deep skills in the interview. Focus on getting it.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • Options
    pierrevillerespierrevilleres Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for all the valuable inputs! I will modify my CV based on these points.