Options

Any brief resource for CISSP?

UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
Everytime I look at CISSP study guides, they're hundreds of pages...and I'm familiar with most of the topics anyway

Is there a brief study guide?

Are there good practice exams that I can use to assess my knowledge so I study the areas that I'm weakest at?

Just look for a time efficient way to study for someone who have is already familiar with most of the topics?
Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I took the older 250 question one, and I didn't use much in the way of giant books because it sounds like we had the same issue. I did a ton of work, like thousands of question, in quiz engines. I used CCcure, I think skillsoft too but don't quote me it' been a few years, and the Cybrary video series by Kelly H is fantastic. I'd do quizzes, identify what I'm weak in, go research what I got wrong, wash, rinse, repeat. Not everyone learns the same way but that worked very well for me. I can't recommend that video series enough too. There are a few areas where there might be 12 standards to learn, and she'll say, OK those 6 are really the important one, but if you REALLY want to focus on 4, do these. Stuff that is very helpful in narrowing down what to dig into further.
  • Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Best brief study guide is CISSP 11th hour by Eric Conrad, it is brief and straight to the point.

https://www.amazon.com/Eleventh-Hour-CISSP%C2%AE-Study-Guide/dp/0128112484/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1538579030&sr=8-1&keywords=cissp+11th+hour

However, it has not been updated yet, but it is not a major point.
  • Options
    FSF150FSF150 Member Posts: 119 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Best brief study guide is CISSP 11th hour by Eric Conrad, it is brief and straight to the point.

https://www.amazon.com/Eleventh-Hour-CISSP%C2%AE-Study-Guide/dp/0128112484/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1538579030&sr=8-1&keywords=cissp+11th+hour

However, it has not been updated yet, but it is not a major point.

The 11th hour is very good. Zip through it, make a note of what you totally don't know, then do targeted study with the larger book. Worked well for me.
    First we drink the coffee. Then we do the things. :neutral:
  • Options
    If you need a "bigger" book without too much extra. There is also the big brother of 11th Hour, CISSP Study guide by Eric Conrad. It really help me without being as verbose as Sybex or Shon Harris.
  • Options
    mgeoffriaumgeoffriau Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The 11th Hour guide is only a couple hundred pages. https://www.amazon.com/Eleventh-Hour-CISSP-Study-Syngress/dp/1597495662

Edit: Had this page open for a while and didn't see the above response. Anyway, here's a link.
    CISSP || A+ || Network+ || Security+ || Project+ || Linux+ || Healthcare IT Technician || ITIL Foundation v3 || CEH || CHFI
    M.S. Cybersecurity and Information Assurance, WGU
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Same boat UnixGuy, here's the Sunflower v2 guide which is 36 pages of just the data: https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/dc6afa_fc8dba86e57a4f3cb9aaf66aff6f9d22.pdf

In addition to that I'm using the Cybrary.it CISSP video series, 11th hour book and the Sybex study guide for the practice tests. Just started last week, hoping to be done by 11-11 but we'll see how it goes.

Cheers!
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Seems like a common pain point!! Thanks everyone for the suggestions!!

So as far as study guides, 11th hour Eric conrad.

Videos: Cybrary.

How about practice test questions? I was actually thinking of starting with practice questions to do some kind of self-assessment to see where I'm at.

Are ccure a good option? I need something close to what ISC2 have in mind so I know what/how to study

Thanks again everyone!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    ecuisonecuison Member Posts: 131 ■■■■□□□□□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    Seems like a common pain point!! Thanks everyone for the suggestions!!

So as far as study guides, 11th hour Eric conrad.

Videos: Cybrary.

How about practice test questions? I was actually thinking of starting with practice questions to do some kind of self-assessment to see where I'm at.

Are ccure a good option? I need something close to what ISC2 have in mind so I know what/how to study

Thanks again everyone!

I definetly would go with CCCure test questions. Also looks like they updated the questions/format to the new CISSP test format (201icon_cool.gif, but when I took it, CCCure was a huge resource in bridging my knowledge gaps as well as endurance practice for the actual exam. At that time, it was Shon Harris All-In-One that was the go to. (God Bless her soul)
    Good luck on your journey to the CISSP!
    Accomplishments: B.S. - Business (Information Management) | CISSP | CCSP | TOGAF v9.2 Certified | Security + | Network +
  • Options
    For CISSP, I used 2 question bank: The official ISC2 Practice test book and the one from Shon Harris book.
  • Options
    mgeoffriaumgeoffriau Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used the Boson test engine for CISSP questions. I was pleased enough with it. As far as I can tell, nobody really replicated ISC2-style questions accurately. But, what Boson does do well is capture the right depth of knowledge required, and provides good explanations for the right and wrong answers, so you aren't just memorizing a question set, you're actually filling in knowledge gaps (if you read and absorb the explanations).
    CISSP || A+ || Network+ || Security+ || Project+ || Linux+ || Healthcare IT Technician || ITIL Foundation v3 || CEH || CHFI
    M.S. Cybersecurity and Information Assurance, WGU