Isn't Packet Tracer Enough?

NetStudent89NetStudent89 Member Posts: 8 ■■□□□□□□□□
I once came close to paying for the proprietary NetSim software sold by Boson (I'm sure there are more out there). I also installed GNS3, but I didn't want to buy CISCO's IOS image to use it. Yet I've found PacketTracer to be more than enough useful in studying for ICND1.

Will it be sufficient when I move on to advanced CISCO certs, like even CCIE?

Thanks.

Comments

• stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    While I am not a CCIE, many here on this forum have mentioned that PT is good for CCNA and, maybe, some CCNP but definitely not CCIE. Considering all of the improvements they have made over the years, it is hard to tell if it might not be useful for higher certs in the future.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Packet tracer is a great simulation and it is now available from cisco for everyone that wants to sign up and use it. While it does not include every command you might use during your study it includes enough to allow you to pass. One thing I recall was the debug commands either were not available or were limited. I ran them on my home lab and locked up the device and had to unplug it. If you plan to continue with networking then I suggest learning how to use GNS3 as it is free and very functional. Google will help you with the IOS.

Packet Tracer will be very limiting as you get past CCNA. I have not done CCNP yet so I can't say what the limitations are but if I already hit them in CCNA then I am sure they will only increase as you move on.

Don't worry about finding the perfect software to use. Just get started and you can tweak your learning as needed. Packet Tracer will get you through CCNA and there are lots of labs available for it online.
  • NetStudent89NetStudent89 Member Posts: 8 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies. I already found many commands not available in PT, debug among them. Mostly with sub-commands, online guides don't correspond to available functions in PT. I suppose CISCO would need to update Packet Tracer as both their IOS and modern networking practices become more advanced.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You might want to check out Cisco's VIRL...Virtual Internet Routing Lab. It might be closer to what you are looking for. It is $200 for a year. Wait until later this year and you might find a 25% discount.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • albinorhino187albinorhino187 Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used packet tracer for my CCNA, but moved on to gns3 for the CCNP, and I'm also using gns3 for my CCIE. Packet tracer is great to get your feet wet, and is absolutely enough for CCNA, but you should definitely move on from it after that.
    CCIE RS - Written (Goal: July 2019) [ ] Lab [ ]
  • williebwillieb Member Posts: 108 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Go for GNS3.

As Jon_Cisco stated google will help you with finding some IOS images (or even VIRL) for using with GNS3. This isn't "legal" for you and can be quite controversial, but at least one major training company (Starts with a C and ends with an s, lol) tells you in their videos how to search and find images to download. Heck they even provide a 1 button click shortcut on a browser in a GNS3 VM. They just can't legally provide the images for you on the VM, and neither can we here on this forum.

This is completely my personal opinion but if you aren't providing the images to others, and are only using the images in a lab environment to further your Cisco knowledge, I honestly don't think Cisco cares. You are going to spend money on the exams anyway.

If you are dead set on staying legal, buy a cheap router online or find one somewhere with the image you need and tftp it off of the router for GNS3 use. If you pay for VIRL, my understanding is that you can legally use the images in GNS3 also.

So there are some options. For the record I do plan on buying (company purchase) VIRL for my CCIE studies starting later this month. Please don't quote this post in case I decide to delete it later lol.
    [X] CCENT ICND1 100-105
    [X] CCNA ICND2 200-105
    [X] CCNP ROUTE 300-101
    [X] CCNP SWITCH 300-115
    [X] CCNP TSHOOT 300-135
    [ ] CCDP ARCH 300-320
  • NetStudent89NetStudent89 Member Posts: 8 ■■□□□□□□□□
    willieb wrote: »
    Go for GNS3 and only use IOS files from legal sources.

QFT. Thanks!
  • williebwillieb Member Posts: 108 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's awesome lol, and you're welcome.
    [X] CCENT ICND1 100-105
    [X] CCNA ICND2 200-105
    [X] CCNP ROUTE 300-101
    [X] CCNP SWITCH 300-115
    [X] CCNP TSHOOT 300-135
    [ ] CCDP ARCH 300-320