Move from Texas to NJ or NYC

scadascada Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
Anyone have any thoughts on how the job market is for IT SEC/ System Eng. I have been looking around so I figured why not just throw up a post.

Comments

• MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I can't speak on the job market, but your COL will increase in that area of NJ/NYC. Property taxes are higher, and I am fairly certain they also have state income taxes as well, which you don't have in Texas. Pay should be higher though, but you will need to accurately judge how high you need to be to keep the same level of lifestyle.
  • Tekn0logyTekn0logy Member Posts: 113 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My last job, all they were doing was hiring people in Texas. A couple of individuals I know even relocated from NYC Metro to Dallas metro area to keep their jobs. How current are your certs? Having CISSP should be door opener. Which is more recent, your security certs or the MBA?
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Moving to NYC/NJ from TX??? That is usually the opposite move. Stay as far away from those cesspools as you can.

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Muhammed HMuhammed H Member Posts: 93 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Why? Lack of opportunities or high cost of living?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The job market is great in the NYC metro area. You shouldn't have a problem there. What is going to be the bigger question is CoL and just day to day life. I did the NYC thing for a few years and really enjoyed it. My girl on the other hand did not. It's not for everyone. I'd suggest visiting a few times if you haven't already to see if it's for you.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • anthonxanthonx Member Posts: 109 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just read the news about Amazon HQ2 to be split between New York and Virginia. Maybe Amazon will start hiring next year? Not even sure what are the job openings but I'm guessing a good portion of it will be IT SEC/ System Eng.
    AnthonX
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    NJ is basically all of the negative things of NYC with almost none of the positive things.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
    yoba222 wrote: »
    NJ is basically all of the negative things of NYC with almost none of the positive things.

It all depends which train you have to take into NYC... :D
  • scadascada Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Most recent cert would be CISSP. All of my certs are current. Just looking to move into MGT v.s. a Sr. ENG position... I might jump back to texas at a later date. The short of it is i interviewered for an ISSM job and was / am now a SR. ISSE which is a differnt career move than what i was wanting.

The pay wold be aound 35K more , but it would put me into a higher tax bracket also.
    scada wrote: »
    Most recent cert would be CISSP. All of my certs are current. Just looking to move into MGT v.s. a Sr. ENG position... I might jump back to texas at a later date. The short of it is i interviewered for an ISSM job and was / am now a SR. ISSE which is a differnt career move than what i was wanting.

The pay wold be aound 35K more , but it would put me into a higher tax bracket also.

Higher taxes and higher cost of living for you in NY. Don't forget NY & NJ residents were "punished" by new tax law and now we cant write down state/local/property taxes over $10k. Rent for an apartment in NYC (Manhattan) will eat that $35k easily. Jersey City and Hoboken NJ wont seem too bad and are minutes away from NYC. More modest digs can be found in the outer boroughs of NYC, but commute time will go up. I would wait for the dust to settle and see where Amazon is going to set up HQ2 as there will be fierce competition for tech brainpower.
  • pHumphreypHumphrey Member Posts: 12 ■■□□□□□□□□
    To me, NJ is not the very best place to move these days, because of living cost and job opportunities