Options

GCDA - First SANS Test

eseaesea Member Posts: 6 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am getting reading to take the GCDA exam this weekend.  I've created my index of the 5 books included with the course.  I've included some additional reference documents where I found I needed additional information to understand the material.  I took this class as a beta so I has been a while.  I will be taking my practice exam this week to gauge my readiness.  Any general tips on taking SANS exams that don't violate the terms?  My index is rather indepth (20 pages - over 500 entries).  I've tried going through the labs but they are very time intensive.  Any pointers would be appreciated since I haven't taken a SANS exam yet.

Comments

• Options
    markmorowmarkmorow Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The practice exams are the best guide I've found. Usually the real exam is a bit easier or harder but they are generally pretty close. 
  • Options
    Markmorow - Thanks! Can you confirm if the focus is more on the books or on the labs which are only available from VM provided in class.
  • Options
    markmorowmarkmorow Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would say each one is a bit different. But whatever the practice exams are, that's what you can expect on the exam. 
  • Options
    jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As the others have said, the practice exams will be your best guidance.  I will show you where you are at, and will also show what shortcomings (if any) your index may have.  My first SANS course was FOR578, also 5 books and I was over 1000 line items in my index

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    esea said:
    Any general tips on taking SANS exams that don't violate the terms?  My index is rather indepth (20 pages - over 500 entries).  I've tried going through the labs but they are very time intensive.  Any pointers would be appreciated since I haven't taken a SANS exam yet.
    Make sure you give yourself plenty of time between your first practice test and the exam date. This way if you find your totally unprepared for the exam, you'll have sufficient time to work on areas your weak on. I've read people that took the practice test a few days before the exam, let just tell you from my experience with the GREM, I could have studied 24/7 for a few days and never would have been able to pull my grade up to a passing score from what I got on my 1st practice exam, if I took the exam only a few days later.  Generally what I do is I don't schedule the exam date till I see where I stand after my first practice exam.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    Thanks for everyone's feedback.  I took and passed my practice exam.  Missed a few questions I should of got right because I didn't take my time and it was after a long day of work.  My exam is scheduled for tomorrow morning.  What should I do after work tonight? Study for a few hours like I have been the last few weeks? Or browse my index and notes and try and relax a bit with a good night's sleep?