What is the Password for the Virtual Machines in the SANS Thumb Drive

hiranncshiranncs Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
edited December 2018 in GIAC
Hi Everyone,

I just have received my Thumb drive and books.
But i don't have the password for the virtual machine. 

Please advise on how to find them. Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,
Hiran

Comments

• PenguineerPenguineer Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It should be in the first few pages of the lab book. What course do you have?
  • hiranncshiranncs Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
    GIAC GCIA. Is it in my 503.1?
  • DonklanderDonklander Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Probably in the lab book.
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah I was going to say..... isn't all that information in the course handouts within SANS website in your portal? I see all that information in my portal in regards to the passwords required for my SEC542 course material and labs. 
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    By that logic it's really sad that I want a 1958 Porsche 550 A Spyder.  
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited December 2018
    Yeaaaaaaa there alot of MUCH cheaper options that will give you just as good value.    Pretty much no one would pay for the course on own because it is so expensive... So you're not on your own there.    Don't play the "oh poor me" card. 
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□

What's the password for that car, I can't seem to start the engine without it.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
    Pretty much no one would pay for the course on own because it is so expensive... So you're not on your own there.   

When I took the GSEC course, there was a guy there who paid for the course out of his own pocket.  I don't remember why he was taking the course though.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,025 Admin
    Probably to help himself get an InfoSec job.
    Probably a bored lottery winner who wanted to learn more about cyber security cause it sounded cool.  

Paying for the GSEC course out of pocket?!?  no thank you!  :#
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Pretty much no one would pay for the course on own because it is so expensive... So you're not on your own there.   

When I took the GSEC course, there was a guy there who paid for the course out of his own pocket.  I don't remember why he was taking the course though.
    When I took the 504 there were 4 guys from some branch of government. The 3 of them were talking about how it was all paid for, the other guy said he didn't submit it but no big deal he's not hurting on money. OK, $10, no big deal, he flew somewhere, stayed for 7 days and paid over 7K in just the course and exam, craziness. 
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Oh, come on now.  It's "only" $4.5m to $5m...you make at least that when you get your first entry-level infosec job, right?  On a serious note, that is one beautiful car.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me

Paying for the GSEC course out of pocket?!?  no thank you! 
    A lot of people spend thousands on 4k Curved flat screen TV's, and new sports cars, but when it comes to spending there OWN money to advance there careers, they say NO way. While I wouldn't drop 6k on a GSEC, I might for a GPEN.
    edited January 2019

A lot of people spend thousands on 4k Curved flat screen TV's, and new sports cars, but when it comes to spending there OWN money to advance there careers, they say NO way. While I wouldn't drop 6k on a GSEC, I might for a GPEN.
    Education is important, but "TV" time is importanter!
    edited January 2019

Its just there is a lot of things that would be equivalent (or even better for a career) for about 90% cheaper cost.  To each their own

I loved the SANS course I did, but the cost is crazy.  Zero chance I could ever justify spending that much on any of their courses personally.    There is just too much information readily available about almost every topic these days to justify someone spending this kind of money out of pocket.  The certs aren't in super high demand compared to much cheaper ones either.   Its just horrible money management sense to me. 
    edited January 2019
    If work doesn't pay to send me to a new SANS course before 2022, there a good chance I'll take the GPEN on my own dime to keep my GREM current, assuming I can't land a work Study by then. After that I don't know. I guess it depends where I am in my career.  
    Speaking about the cost of the courses and me just passing the GWAPT, I thought about if I would have paid for any SANS course. 
    In hindsight:
    GCIH - I would have absolutely invested time and energy into making it happen on my own, whether I paid for it out of pocket or waited for a work study and spent the money to travel to the location. 
    GWAPT - Not so much. After everything was said and done, and after going through OWASP to create my own workflow with examples as well as my own work instructions, it seems like SANS basically just regurgitated OWASP to me for $6,000+. I feel I would have been sour if I had paid for it myself. Now, this is just based off of my experience right this moment and I'm not sure what having the cert will do for me, but as it stands, nope.  
  • screamxxscreamxx Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hey man, did you found the password for that vm sec503, I got a sec course (book and vm) from my senior who attended this course on 2021, he didn't exactly remember the vm password so im curious if you maybe found the password. I assume it will be simple password lol....
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,025 Admin
    I'm guessing they change that password each time they make new materials for each course.