Options

I believe the Network+ might be a scam

MikeD42MikeD42 Member Posts: 9 ■■□□□□□□□□
edited May 2019 in Network+
I purchased the Certmaster training, exam voucher, and eBook for the N10-006. I went through the Certmaster training 3 times, read the eBook twice and failed the exam. I then hired a tutor who showed me Professor Messer and I did that course twice, certmaster training again 3 times, and read the eBook twice again and failed the exam a 2nd time. I then purchased the network Simulator through Pearson vue and did that 3 times, certmaster again 3 times, read the eBook once, did the professor Messer course one time again and failed the exam a third time. So I spent almost $2000 on everything and 6 months studying for absolutely nothing. I currently have the certmaster, exam voucher, and eBook for the N10-007 and instead of failing the exam again I asked CompTIA if I could get either a refund or an in-store credit for the A+ certmaster as I need to renew my A+. One rep told me to ask for the refund/in-store credit while another rep said it wasn't possible. At this point I'm sure CompTIA doesn't care at all about their customers and I'm curious if there is a computer networking certification that isn't a scam like CompTIA's. 

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Been a while since I’ve taken it but don’t they tell you the areas where you didn’t do well on the text?   It’s not like the answers to their questions are incorrect.   Should know what areas you needed to improve on. 

Also, not sure why you just keep using the same resources to study each time if you think they aren’t providing you the information that is on the test.  Plenty of books on the exam and only need to spend like $30 on one (or whatever they cost)

But it is probably the exams fault you spent $2000 on it and haven’t passed... /s

Could always do the CCENT too
  • Options
    I just think that if they provide the certmaster training, it should include everything that's going to be on the exam. I didn't just keep using the same resources to study, like I said after each exam I continued to purchase new study materials, like the Network Simulator from Pearson Vue, the tutor, and the professor messer course notes and course and still to no avail on passing the exam. If there's a $30 dollar book that covers everything the exam will have I'd love to know what book it is, but at this point I've spent way too much money for the Network+. The tutor alone was over $600. 
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    One thing you have not mentioned is if you feel you are retaining the information. While you have not passed the test you should have a far better understanding of Networking then when you started.

There are lots of reasons why you could be struggling but if it is in fact the exam then we should see similar results from all test takers.

All I can say is you have dedicated enough to it that I would suggest you stick it out and pass. This will be an accomplishment you can be proud you earned rather then a failure you regret.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    Thank you Jon_Cisco I appreciate that. I may try the exam again another time, I do have a much better understanding of computer networking now! 
  • Options
    DiffieHellman173DiffieHellman173 Registered Users Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good evening,

The way I always check to see if I'm retaining is by looking at a question and all of the answers provided. If I can explain to myself why 3 answers are wrong then finding the right answer is easier for me. Just a technique for you to possibly try.
  • Options
    That sounds like a good approach DiffieHellman! Thank you very much! 
  • Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've taken a bunch of CompTIA exams, and network+ is the only one that kicked my ass. (passed on 2nd try) The difficulty of N10-006 is well documented on the web.

I wouldn't call it a scam, you just have to be well prepared and really master all of the material. It is not an easy exam.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,029 Admin
    Cisco CCENT/CCNA R/S will give you better resume keyword recognition.
  • Options
    Mr.Robot255Mr.Robot255 Member Posts: 196 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good evening,

The way I always check to see if I'm retaining is by looking at a question and all of the answers provided. If I can explain to myself why 3 answers are wrong then finding the right answer is easier for me. Just a technique for you to possibly try.
    Or even better read the question try and cover the answers and see can u say the correct answer before looking at possible options to it.

I don't think NET+ is a scam, i think maybe you aren't learning the material as you should. As suggested above what is on the printout given to what areas you failed in. 
  • Options
    What made me think the Net+ is a scam is how I was told that the Certmaster and eBook would be the training I need to pass the exam, then I came to find that even after hiring a tutor, purchasing other training modules I'm still unable to pass the exam. I could just have a problem with retaining the information, but it just seemed like no matter how much money I spent I still wasn't getting all the information I need to pass. I spent money on a tutor that showed me other stuff I needed to spend money on to study, then I didn't pass. I came close with a score of 655, but after all the money I invested I just felt ripped off. 
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    edited May 2019
    It doesn't mean that it is a scam. I have an issue with taking exams because I am dyslexic, so I take time in the spots that I feel I am not 'getting'. Like taking notes, reading aloud and taking the practice exams. Also, perhaps you should go to an actual class. That has always helped me grasp things better.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    DiffieHellman173DiffieHellman173 Registered Users Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited May 2019
    Another piece to passing COMPTIA exams, is the ability to break down their lengthy questions. Most of the time they will input a large amount of useless information. I like to read the the whole question twice. If the info seems misleading then I will read the first and the last sentence in order to try to pin point exactly what they are asking.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited May 2019
    MikeD42 said:
    I purchased the Certmaster training, exam voucher, and eBook for the N10-006. I went through the Certmaster training 3 times, read the eBook twice and failed the exam. I then hired a tutor who showed me Professor Messer and I did that course twice, certmaster training again 3 times, and read the eBook twice again and failed the exam a 2nd time. I then purchased the network Simulator through Pearson vue and did that 3 times, certmaster again 3 times, read the eBook once, did the professor Messer course one time again and failed the exam a third time. So I spent almost $2000 on everything and 6 months studying for absolutely nothing. I currently have the certmaster, exam voucher, and eBook for the N10-007 and instead of failing the exam again I asked CompTIA if I could get either a refund or an in-store credit for the A+ certmaster as I need to renew my A+. One rep told me to ask for the refund/in-store credit while another rep said it wasn't possible. At this point I'm sure CompTIA doesn't care at all about their customers and I'm curious if there is a computer networking certification that isn't a scam like CompTIA's. 
    Can you call CompTIA and ask for a print out of all exams for the Network+?   At least this way you can were your strong points are.  

I would start with that first

Also, you said you passed the A+, that is good accomplishment!!   
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    Thank you very much NetworkingStudent! Yeah I'm going to see if they can at least give me a print out to see where I need to improve. 
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Usually the subnetting parts of the exam kicks their arse! IMO
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't think I would consider CompTIA or the exam itself a scam. I haven't taken the Net+ in a while but when I did I thought it was a fair exam given the level that it is aimed at. Do you have any IT experience? If not, you might be better off looking into additional study material. Think of it this way: There may be a threshold of people who can pass the exam with just the CertMaster and the ebook, but there are probably plenty of people who can't pass it with those materials alone. I think those people tend to be the ones with less than 3 years of IT experience. Real world experience does make a difference though there are many other variables including one's test-taking ability. If nerves get the better of you, it won't matter how much experience you have. Some people will always need more material than others. 

A perfect example is my former roommate taking the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course along with me. We both did very well on the course exam. I passed my motorcycle endorsement written test at the DMV, he bombed his. We both had the same study material and roughly the same questions. So we should have achieved the same score, yes? Well, not so much in the real world. He is smart as heck but gets nervous during test, so he needed some additional material to feel more comfortable. 

You can pass it, it just may take a little bit more studying. That printout will help you for sure. Study the weak areas a bit more and sit the exam again. You'll have a pass in no time. 
  • Options
    PseudonymousPseudonymous Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Failure is a part of life. It's not an easy exam to pass if you don't have any networking experience. I failed N10-006 in 2017 twice so I understand. But I don't see where you said you read over the objectives. CompTIA isn't going to give you the exact questions on the exam, but they do a good job of telling you everything that should be covered. It's a lot to learn. My advise is to use what you've been using, but go through each and every item slowly in the objective list and make sure you know what it is and what it's used for.

Certifications: A+, N+, S+, CCNA: CyberOps, eJPT, ITIL, etc.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Geez! CompTIA is a serious, respected entity. They've been around what... 30+ years? Calling any of their exams a scam because you failed is simply irresponsible.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Like I explained earlier, I purchased the certmaster training, eBook, and exam voucher. I was told the eBook and certmaster training would be enough to study and pass the exam. I went through both the eBook and certmaster training multiple times and failed the exam. I then purchased more study materials and even a tutor only to fail again. I'm not sure what you would consider a scam cyberguypr, but something that keeps costing money for nothing seems like a scam to me. Also they have a 0% leniency policy for returns or exchanges as well, that seems like bad customer service for a company that hands out exams. There's bound to be bad experiences in the exam industry, a little leniency would be appropriate in my opinion and I've worked customer service for 15 years! 
  • Options
    MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You've poured too much $$$ into this exam.

If you first fail an exam by such a narrow margin - just restudy the same material.

If you first fail by a large margin then you have to ask yourself:
    Did I study well?
    Is the book thorough?

If you feel the book was not thorough enough then get another book.
    If you still fail after this - something is wrong with your study method.

Don't keep pouring more $$$ into a situation reaching for different conclusions.
    You won't get a different conclusion because the problem is in the method, not the materials.
    Generally, if you fail by two different sources, there is something wrong with your method of study and that is what needs to be corrected.

Once you find that your study method needs to be corrected, you see what you can change/add to it.
    1 example: "Am I using flashcards?" - if the answer is no, then you start using flash cards.

You're likely frustrated because you spent too much money ... with no result.
    I don't blame you but at the same time that was your choice.
    Sometimes we make mistakes... and that's ok - as long as we learn from those mistakes.

All this said, hang in there... with a correction in your method of study & also being as close as you already are in score - I'm sure you'll get it.

Winning wouldn't be so fun if losing wasn't so damn easy. 🤣

• Options
    Thats very good advice Skyliinez92, thank you very much! I got my A+ and I'm about to renew it with the CE program CompTIA has.
  • Options
    mgeoffriaumgeoffriau Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When someone says a particular resource is adequate or enough to pass an exam, that means in broad strokes, it contains all the information needed to pass. It doesn't mean that you will magically pass just because you read that book or watch those videos.

Many people have passed Net+ using way fewer resources than you have. I say this not to discourage you, but to emphasize that everyone tests differently and what works for someone else may not be enough for you.
    CISSP || A+ || Network+ || Security+ || Project+ || Linux+ || Healthcare IT Technician || ITIL Foundation v3 || CEH || CHFI
    M.S. Cybersecurity and Information Assurance, WGU