Options

Questions for those who have the GSE :-)

JGSJGS Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,
First congratulations on the GSE achievement! I would like to obtain this certification at some point.

I am wondering:
1. Did you take the GSE written exam soon after taking GSEC, GCIH and GCIA or did you wait for a period of time? I am thinking that if you took the written portion soon after, the material might be more fresh in your mind and might require less restudy if SANS changes the course.
2. Did you use gold papers or courses for the prerequisites? It appears that there is an option to substitute courses for the gold papers.
3. What courses besides GSEC, GCIH and GCIA did you think helped with the lab portion?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Comments

• Options
    LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    1. No, even until the day of exam i felt i am not ready for GSE. I took GSE at 8 years into my career after accumulating enough experience on a highly technical job.
    2. I had 1 white paper and 10 giac cert at the time of taking GSE
    3. None, gpen labs might be of some use in understanding the attacks. Instead of relying on courses, i suggest to go through each course and work through more efficient way of working on things than what the course provided. Go through each item on the **** sheet and find ways thay could be done better than the material itself.
  • Options
    JGSJGS Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    RobicusRobicus Member Posts: 144 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My input!

1. Did you take the GSE written exam soon after taking GSEC, GCIH and GCIA or did you wait for a period of time? I am thinking that if you took the written portion soon after, the material might be more fresh in your mind and might require less restudy if SANS changes the course.

Nope! A couple of years had passed between taking those 3 core certs and starting to prepare for the GSE. I went back through old books and the labs.

2. Did you use gold papers or courses for the prerequisites? It appears that there is an option to substitute courses for the gold papers.

I wrote two Gold papers - no substitutes.

3. What courses besides GSEC, GCIH and GCIA did you think helped with the lab portion?

I feel strongly that SEC511 is another awesome course to help get into the right mindset for GSE.
    What's Next? eLearnSecurity's eCIR

MSISE, CISSP, GSE (#202), GSEC, GCIA, GCIH, GPEN, GMON, GCFE, GCCC, GCPM, eJPT, AWS CCP
  • Options
    catscapscatscaps Member Posts: 24 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My interest is piqued. Anyone else care to share their GSE experience/journey