Options

70-301 (Microsoft Solutions Framework) vs ITIL

royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
Just wondering if anybody has taken both of these exams? I'm taking 70-301 tomorrow and I have been studying a lot. I've read through the Microsoft Official Course 1846A and read through the whitepapers and have been reviewing the material a lot. There's not a lot of material out there so I hope I do alright. Anyways, my main question for asking whether anybody has done both, is that I am wondering how similar the two exams are and if it makes sense to do a bit of studying for the ITIL after the 70-301 since a lot of the processes will be fresh in my mind. Any info is much appreciated.
“For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    It's been almost a decade since I went to a mandatory ITIL course, but it looks to me the Project+, Prince2, PMI etc, have more overlap with the MSF 70-301 than the ITIL foundation exam has. On the other hand, it's in the same theoretic area so it does make sense to stay on the same/similar topic. Does your employer want you to get these certs?
  • Options
    My employer is requiring me to do 70-301. Unfortunately, I failed on Friday with a 674. It is the first exam I have failed so far, and it appears to be an extremely subjective exam. Many of the questions provide answers where even 2-3 of the answers provided make sense, but it is difficult to decipher which is best used for the situation at hand. I know the core MCSE exams are similar where they provide you with a couple answers that could both be used, but trust me, the 70-301's answers provided are much more difficult to choose. My employer is not requiring me to do ITIL though. My employer has 2 internal exams that I had to take, however. I go back for the 70-301 exam tomorrow. I have been hitting the material very hard this weekend, so hopefully that will give me the extra knowledge I need to pass this second time around. Thanks for the info Johan.
  • Options
    It makes a lot of sense this is a subjective exam. The "Microsoft Solution Framework" is all about doing it/IT the Microsoft way. Which indeed is not entirely uncommon in other exams either but at least then it's technically verifiable.

Good luck on your next attempt, you came pretty close the first time so with some additional studying you should be fine!
  • Options
    Just finished the exam. Passed with an 812. What a relief I wouldn't have to wait 2 weeks for a 3rd attempt.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice job Mr. Royal! :)
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options