Options

Just Passed ITIL foundation

ZwergZwerg Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have just passed my ITIL foundation exam last week, I've got 85% passing mark. Just thinking if I should take the ITIL Practitioner cert.

Would like to seek advice :

1. My company will pay for the exam fee but I will have to self study for the course. Are there any free online sites that I can use?

2. Can I just take the Incident Managment and Problem Management portion or does the test consist of all the modules?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Each practitioner exam is specific to one section. Are you responsible for executing/owning any ITIL functional areas within your company?
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Congrats on the pass, I would like to go on to the Practitioner's one also but trying to get my company to pay for it is as hard as getting blood out of a stone at the minute, lol.

-ken
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Zwerg wrote:
    I have just passed my ITIL foundation exam last week, I've got 85% passing mark. Just thinking if I should take the ITIL Practitioner cert.

Would like to seek advice :

1. My company will pay for the exam fee but I will have to self study for the course. Are there any free online sites that I can use?

2. Can I just take the Incident Managment and Problem Management portion or does the test consist of all the modules?

Thanks in advance.

Congrats on the pass. Was it v2 or v3?

Practitioner exams cannot be taken without attending the appropriate practitioner class. There is no self-study and there is no way for you to register for the exam without taking the class.

Generally, in v2 the practitioner exams are clustered, this means:

1. Incident, Problem Management, and Service Desk = IPSR (ITIL Practitioner Support and Restore)

2. Service Level Management and Financial Management = IPAD (ITIL Practitioner Agree and Define)

3. Capacity Management, Availability Management, and Continuity Management = IPPI (ITIL Practitioner Plan and Improve)

4. Change Management, Release Management, and Configuration Management = IPRC (ITIL Practitioner Release and Control)

You only take one at a time when you take the test, as it follows several days of training.

It is possible (but rare) to take a single practitioner topic. For example, I hold a non-clustered Practitioner certification for Service Level Management.

This all changes in v3...as with the refresh they've allowed more opportunity for self-study.

BTW, practitioner exams are much harder than Foundation. I've failed both of the ones that I took on the first try, by one question each time! Keep in mind that I hold a manager certification and passed that on the first try. IMO, in many ways, the practitioner exams are much more difficult than the manager exams.

MS
  • Options
    ZwergZwerg Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone.

I took the V2 exam. I guess my job is related to Incident, Problem Management and Service Desk. I was hoping to be able to self study at my own pace.

Incident, Problem Management, and Service Desk = IPSR (ITIL Practitioner Support and Restore) - this fits my job specs.

If there's no self study option, I may just forget about the practitioner cert then. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Zwerg wrote:
    Thanks everyone.

I took the V2 exam. I guess my job is related to Incident, Problem Management and Service Desk. I was hoping to be able to self study at my own pace.

Incident, Problem Management, and Service Desk = IPSR (ITIL Practitioner Support and Restore) - this fits my job specs.

If there's no self study option, I may just forget about the practitioner cert then. icon_wink.gif

You can still self-study by looking at the ITIL books, however, you wouldn't be able to sit the exam without a class.

My advice, bridge your v2 foundation cert to v3 (self-study will work here), and wait for the equivalent of IPSR in v3 to be released (you can self-study for that too).

If I can help let me know.

MS