Testout software

rizzo777rizzo777 Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello guys, how is the testout software? Would it prepare you for the N+ exam pretty well? I might get it from a friend, just wondering how it works. thanks

Comments

• bsm2bsm2 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Software is very good and has alot of sims to help you understand networking.
    Would rate it a 10
    Good luck
  • rizzo777rizzo777 Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Anyone else have experience with testout??
  • morpheousmorpheous Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have used a couple TestOut software suites and have to say i am very pleased by the scope of information,i reccomend it to anyone studying for a certification exam.
    Programmers Do Not Throw Salty Pretzels Away
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I love testout. Although their videos are not as quality as CBTNugget the other material such as questions and labs more than make up for it.

Sadly, their selection of videos is limited which is kinda sad.
    -Daniel
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Along with a good study guide, (and a bit of hands-on practice with real equipment and configuration,) the TestOut course is definitely one of the best ways to prepare for an exam like Network+. I've used TestOut for several of my MCSA exams as well as my CCNA, and I really felt like it was a key factor in my passing those tests.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • spike_tomahawkspike_tomahawk Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    They have this Really nice

Try Before You Buy
    Complete Access to all LabSim Library IT Titles
    Take advantage of TestOut's "Try Before You Buy" where, for a limited time, you can have access to all of the training titles in TestOut's LabSim Library via download.
    Click the link to the right to download the LabSim setup. Once the software is installed and launched, you will be taken to a login screen where you will need to click the “Create an Account” button to get started. Upon creating your account, you will have complete access to each LabSim title.

• MCSE • MCTS • CCNA • CISSP • SSCP • A+ • Network+ • Security+ • Server+ • Linux+

http://www.testout.com/demos/tryb4ubuy.htm
  • johnhumphreyjohnhumphrey Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How long did it take you to go compeletly thru the software? How many hours did you study per week to pass the test. I just got my A+ and for some reason I just can't get motivated to take the Network + test. I need to finish it before they change the test.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    How long did it take you to go compeletly thru the software? How many hours did you study per week to pass the test. I just got my A+ and for some reason I just can't get motivated to take the Network + test. I need to finish it before they change the test.
    It took me about an hour to an hour-and-a-half per section for most of the TestOut courses I did. Depending on how many sections there are, be safe and count on about two hours for each. In total, my study-time depends on what exam it is. For the A+, I didn't study at all, I just went and sat for the tests. For the Security+, I studied my butt off for about a month, doing anywhere from four to six hours a day, five or six days a week. For the MCSA exams, I'd be studying three or four hours a day for about four or five weeks for each test. The CCNA took longer, and the exams I'm studying for right now may take a while too.

For the Network+, I'd say just drop yourself into it and set yourself a goal of about a month or two. Study hard, plow through it, and just get it done. You may not feel particularly motivated, but you'll be glad when it's over and you can move on to other things.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Met44Met44 Member Posts: 194
    TestOut is an excellent source of study material. I highly recommend it, if you are willing to pay for it. The videos and explanations can be a nice break from book-reading.

However, if you are not motivated to learn it, you probably won't, no matter what study material you use. Think of why it is important for you to learn more about networking and what you will gain from studying it. This could include the satisfaction of proving that you know a lot about a subject, being able to impress future interviewers, or the fun in learning new and interesting facts about ubiquitous technologies. Use your own standards for how long it should take. Then enjoy the excellent TestOut videos. Networking is a lot of fun. :)
  • johnhumphreyjohnhumphrey Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes I just broke down and bought the Comptia bundle from Testout. Expensive but hopefully well worth it in the long run.
  • armoryarmory Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    +1 for the Testout software. Downloaded the trial and it is much better than studying the book.
  • apayne474apayne474 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Does any have the Testout Network cd/dvd software? Please contact me at aundraecpayne@yahoo.com
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Does anyone know if they have a student discount? I clicked the Academic tab but it sounded like that was more geared to instructors.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    Does anyone know if they have a student discount? I clicked the Academic tab but it sounded like that was more geared to instructors.

I just spoke to a sales rep at Testout and they do offer student discounts, the price is $89 per program which is a great deal. To be able to place an order at the discounted rate you need to email proof of enrollment to abarnett@testout.com and they will send you the directions to place the order.
    WGU PROGRESS

• skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    I just spoke to a sales rep at Testout and they do offer student discounts, the price is $89 per program which is a great deal. To be able to place an order at the discounted rate you need to email proof of enrollment to abarnett@testout.com and they will send you the directions to place the order.
    icon_eek.gif Wow. icon_eek.gif

So as long as I give them proof of enrollment, I can pay $89 for what they're offering now on sale for $297 for say the MCSA 290?!

SIGN ME UP!! I'll be emailing Ms/Mr Barnett very soon!

UPDATE: I was really thinking this was way too good to be true, so I went to the TestOut site & did an online chat with a rep, and I got confirmation of it all. (Even took screenshots & printouts of the online chat juuust in case....and yes, I know I am paranoid...)

There are individual reps per state, but my state (IL) rep is out of the office today, and so I was told to contact Ms Barnett as well. I'm a cheapo and so I asked if there was an option to download the program, but no dice - you have to go the old fashioned route & get the program(s) shipped to you.

I also asked what kind of proof they need, and "Stevie" told me that I need to fax or email in a transcript or current class schedule. So I can just log onto my student profile and do a screenshot or print to PDF or whatever and email that attachment to them and they'll respond via email with the directions for ordering.

I have heard such great things about TestOut and have really been wanting to use them for my MCSA studies, but the cost has been keeping me from purchasing. $297-$495/title was a bit rich for my blood, but I can totally find $89 + $11-$17 shipping. Noblyspoon, MAJOR kudos to you for finding this out & sharing the info. icon_thumright.gif
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
    skrpune wrote: »
    icon_eek.gif Wow. icon_eek.gif

So as long as I give them proof of enrollment, I can pay $89 for what they're offering now on sale for $297 for say the MCSA 290?!

SIGN ME UP!! I'll be emailing Ms/Mr Barnett very soon!

Correct, I just spoke with Stevie in customer service this morning. He said all their programs are only $89 for students which I think is a heck of a deal. Now I am not sure if Ms/Mr Barnett handles all of the schools, he asked my state before giving me the email address but I am sure they can atleast direct you to the correct person.
    WGU PROGRESS

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yep, students get hooked up pretty good. If you're looking for software as well, check out www.journeyed.com

I would ask other vendors as well. I doubt Test Out is the only one that offers this.
    Yeah I am always seaching for student discounts. Right now MS Office Ultimate is only like $59 for students, VMware Workstation is $115, I also get free MS software from Microsoft Academic Allance which saves the need for getting TechNet, although Technet sometimes has a student price of only $99 but it doesnt last long. Also most of the MS exams are only $60 for students.

Even if you are not going for a degree it might be worth it for some people to take a class or two at their local community college.
    WGU PROGRESS