I hate when they don't return emails or calls

coax31coax31 Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have been trying to land this job and made it through two phone screens and a sit down interview that was a week and a half ago. The Monday after the interview I emailed and he replied that I was still a candidate and he still had a few more interviews that week. I left a voice mail last Friday no call back , emailed this AM nothing back, I am assuming I didn't get it but the least he could do is email back that the position is filled or something, why leave somebody hanging? It is just frustrating that you can't even get a response from some people now a days, everybody at least deserves an answer either way.

Comments

• skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    it might be that they haven't yet made a decision. If they have no updates to give you and if the person in charge of the hiring is busy, then it's a bad usage of their time to call or email you to say "I have no updates yet." If they've already previously responded that you're still a candidate and that they had other interviews/reviews to do, then I'd leave it at that and just periodically check in with an email here & there, anything other than that is a little stalky.

And while I agree that it would be nice to get an answer either way, lots of folks don't want to or don't have the time to deal with sending "rejection notices" to everyone that's applied for a job or even made it to interviews. Hiring is a harrowing process, and as the person doing the hiring & interviewing, you can be presented with some interesting characters and interesting responses to rejection...if you've ever been burned by a wacky ex-employee or wacky turned down candidate, then it's easy to understand this avoidance of contact. I've fielded multiple "buy whyyyyyyyyy" calls and it's not exactly comfortable or enjoyable! :D (And in this litigious society, from a legal standpoint, it's better to say NOTHING than to accidentally slip & say something that someone might sue you over...)

If you're really really interested in this job, then periodically check in with them via email but don't contact them multiple times in the course of a couple days. It will make you look desperate and it will probably irritate the person you're contacting and make them less likely to want to respond. Just my two cents...
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • coax31coax31 Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah, very good points that is why I have multiple resume out their and apply for as many jobs as I can. sort like dating, don't put all your hopes in one prospect throw a lot of fishing lines out and you have a better chance.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Also consider the time of year it is. Most places I've worked really slowed down from before Thanksgiving until after New Years. Interviewing and hiring people during that time was the last thing I wanted to think about.
  • coax31coax31 Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Turns out he just emailed me and said he still has some more interviews to do
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do not feel bad when you do not get return email or call. This is the nature of reject or still in processing. Remember, you are not the only interview the same job. Mostly at this time, one job might have over 30 resumes and 5 to 7 interviews. So, it is competitive. OK.

Take it easy and you can always send in a follow up email or letter.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i definitely understand what the OP is saying. i remember in October, i had an interview @ CBS TV Distribution. the interview went well, i think, and he told me that there would have to be another interview with another person b4 the position would be offered...he told me to call him or email him the next week to check my status. i emailed him the next day thanking him for the interview, and then i called AND emailed him at the end of the next week to see what my status was. I didnt get an email or call back, i was like ok, maybe he's on vacation, so i gave it another week, called/emailed again, and still no answer. by the second week in november, i gave up on it after 3 emails/voicemails. And the crazy thing is, is that he needed someone to fill that job right away, and he was telling me that he'd ask ppl in for interviews, but they wouldnt respond. If i see that job posting again, ionno if i'll apply again...cuz i feel some type of way now....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    back in around October
    I applied for this job as network support and I got called for interview
    the interview went very well.
    They called again so I delivered my documents and so
    they gave me some cards and info
    I was apparently "hired" and they told me they would call me for start day

like 2 weeks later I call and they told me they havent finished the other interviews and there is still no start day

The job was about a new group of support for goverment networks

another week passed and I called
    like a month later I call and they told me something like "they dropped the job".

wtf?

Why do you interview people and give em cards and requirements and such if the job is not official?

so seriously dont feel that bad coax
    meh
  • savior fairesavior faire Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have been in IT since 1973. What you are experiencing is very common, so don't take it personally.

In my opinion, the IT field, in the last 10 to 12 years or so, has taken a sad turn for the worse, and is very unprofessional.
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Just wait till HR gets involved, after you've been offered the job, any HR I've ever dealt with takes forever to get anything done.

I don't know what happens in a company's HR department, but they all must be very very busy.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I don't know what happens in a company's HR department, but they all must be very very busy.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

You're kidding, right?
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    /usr wrote:

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

You're kidding, right?

lol, of course he is...cuz i dont know ANY hr thats really busy like that...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    I have been in IT since 1973. What you are experiencing is very common, so don't take it personally.

In my opinion, the IT field, in the last 10 to 12 years or so, has taken a sad turn for the worse, and is very unprofessional.

It's not only the IT field. Being a golf professional (teaching/club) for almost 20 years, I found the same things. Heck, some places didn't even bother to contact me at all.

Problem I have now is I have no experience in IT. Hell you can't even get an "entry level" position without experience. Someone needs to explain that to me.
  • zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
    I think you may be coming off a wee bit desperate. One phone call or email is enough. Don't overdo it. No one likes to be pestered.
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    It's not only the IT field. Being a golf professional (teaching/club) for almost 20 years, I found the same things. Heck, some places didn't even bother to contact me at all.

Problem I have now is I have no experience in IT. Hell you can't even get an "entry level" position without experience. Someone needs to explain that to me.

If I could make a living playing/teaching golf, I would never touch a computer again.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
    miller811 wrote: »
    If I could make a living playing/teaching golf, I would never touch a computer again.
    Ah, but with the economy tanking, it's getting harder and harder. I wanted to go the playing route, but that is EXTREMELY tough! I played on the minis for a few years before giving up that route. Figured there would be more opportunities in IT. I hated bending over for a membership 365 24/7! Not to mention the board that wanted a 10 - 15% increase on the bottom line each year.
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Ah, but with the economy tanking, it's getting harder and harder. I wanted to go the playing route, but that is EXTREMELY tough! I played on the minis for a few years before giving up that route. Figured there would be more opportunities in IT. I hated bending over for a membership 365 24/7! Not to mention the board that wanted a 10 - 15% increase on the bottom line each year.

My dream has always been to find a way to play golf every day.... I have been having that dream for 16 years at this point, and now find myself 3+ years from the senior tour. It is just a dream, but it is my dream.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409

I think that problems getting an entry level job without experience are not unique to the IT field. There are lots of industries that require some sort of experience for what they call "entry" level jobs. Sometimes people expect a lot from their first job in a given field, IT included. People see those stupid IT technical institute commercials and expect to be living the high life after a couple certs and/or an associates or a "certificate" in IT, and it's just not how it goes. (I'm not saying you think this, just a general statement.) Everyone's got to work their way up the ladder, and it may take some time to find someone who'll even let you step on the ladder to get started on that journey.

I was able to get an entry level job in IT without any "official" experience because I lowered my salary expectation and took a very unglamorous job working with a small home-based IT shop for $10/hr. It was usually only about 30-35 hours a week, and it involved a lot of driving (both commute time to the job and frequent travel to customers on the job as well), which I hated. But the job itself was great - it just took me a while to find someone who was flexible and willing to take me under his wing. I didn't make a lot of money working there, but I learned a lot. And I have someone who will forever be a great reference for me - he saw me grow and learn and develop my skills, and that's a great person to have as a reference.

Another great way to get hands on experience is to do volunteer work. Even if it's not a long term thing, you can get some verifiable experience to add to your resume, and it's wonderful to be able to help people in the process. You can also do some social networking and even get some job leads from volunteer work too.

So I guess what I'm trying to say (in a very long-winded way, sorry...brevity is not my strong suit) is that it's often necessary to get "creative" about getting experience in nontraditional ways or be willing to take a not so glamorous or great paying job & pay your dues a bit in order to catch a break.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
    Good advice. I actually made a contact this weekend through a social networking site.

And Miller, I'm only 10 years from the Senior Tour myself. Hope to see you out there! icon_thumright.gif
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sometimes the wheels turn slowly. I've been going through the process of acquiring a job that started in the early part of November when I submit my resume. Here we are in January and I have my final interview this coming friday. The time of the year is partly why it's been taking a bit longer for me in my situation as the employer has more staff away for vacations and whatnot and they are also a bit busier with some of the consulting work they focus on some tasks during days in which some of the companies they do work for will be closed so they can accomplish more during regular hours.