What opens more doors

HagerHager Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Im currently trying to figure out what emphasis I want my bachelors degree in IT use to be in and I'd like to know what route opens more doors:

1) Sun Certified Java Programmer
2) MSCE
3) Cisco

Comments

• JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    A lot of people say this, but it really does depend on where you live, and what type of companies are near you.

According to monster.com (US):

1) Sun Certified Java Programmer - 10 Jobs nationwide
    2) MCSE - 1120 jobs nationwide
    3) CCNA - 760 Jobs nationwide

So, there are more jobs available to you for being an MCSE.... but ask yourself, what do you really want to do? Who cares about what opens more doors, just do what you like :). Those 3 certs correlate to 3 completely different career paths.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JavonR wrote: »
    Who cares about what opens more doors, just do what you like :).

+1

If you were going for nothing but quantity, my answer would be: 4) handles
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    +1

If you were going for nothing but quantity, my answer would be: 4) handles

+2

but my vote goes to hands, handles and knobs are worthless without hands
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Rather than just add "+3", I would follow-up on the excellent advice you've already received with:

Ask yourself the question, which doors do you want to open?

MS
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Those three certs are in three different IT specialties. Are you not even decided on being a sysadmin, netadmin, or software programmer? You better know what you like doing first, or else you could end up taking classes you really don't like.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Cisco and Microsoft go hand in hand in this economy, so really CCNP and MCSE are must right now.

Where are you getting this java thing? If you want to be a programmer there is a complete different path you need to take. A BA is a minimum in programming, a Masters would be better. You would probably need the java certs, microsoft certs and then some database experience.
    -Daniel
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Cisco and Microsoft go hand in hand in this economy, so really CCNP and MCSE are must right now.

Where are you getting this java thing? If you want to be a programmer there is a complete different path you need to take. A BA is a minimum in programming, a Masters would be better. You would probably need the java certs, microsoft certs and then some database experience.

I actually agree with this.

As for the job count in this thread, do not worry about that. Put Java into a Dice.com search and your computer will explode.

From the looks of it CCNP and MCSE are the two certifications landing people jobs in IT. But it obviously isn't just those certifications.
    Also you have to consider one is Networking with Cisco and the other is Servers with Microsoft.

Programming takes a lot more leg work to get into... but that shouldn't discourage you if that is what interests you.

Good luck on whatever path you choose! *cough*Programming*cough* :)
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree, do not just go to the certification path base on the job opening and statistics. Find a job or at least looking something that interest you first.

Remember, IT still not easy and have to deal with both system and many stupid people.

So, take a classes for A+/N+/Sec+, or MCP and see if you like it or able to handle the work.

Sun and Cisco is system specific and you will need to spend many hours at the lab to get to know the equipments.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn