CompTIA Student Discount?

Sorry if I got your hopes up ...

But I am wondering if CompTIA has ever said why they do not offer a Student Discount for there exam vouchers? They always advertise there A+ at schools/universities.
"It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
-Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA

Comments

• skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I always wondered by they don't get on board with MS & others and offer discounts. I guess the obvious answer would be money. And if they offered discounts on their somewhat expensive exams for some, they might be questioned why they can't reduce prices for others.

Somewhat ironically, "take the money & run" is playing on the radio right now... icon_lol.gif
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    skrpune wrote: »
    I always wondered by they don't get on board with MS & others and offer discounts. I guess the obvious answer would be money. And if they offered discounts on their somewhat expensive exams for some, they might be questioned why they can't reduce prices for others.

Somewhat ironically, "take the money & run" is playing on the radio right now... icon_lol.gif

I mean it is funny though...
    Microsoft Exam Vouchers are cheaper than CompTIA but even cheaper as a Student.

I mean don't get me wrong $200 bucks for the Network+ isn't bad, but come on at least offer a Student Discount.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    While not directly a student discount, the school I attend - I know that CompTIA extended a discount to the school when they opted to include the A+ exam in the A+ course rather than make the students pay for it. You would think if they can extend a discount to the school for a block of students that they could extend a discount to students as well.

This thread reminds me that I need to finish studying for the CCNA quick and get that out of the way so I can go through a bunch of MS certs quick since I've been working with it for a few years and it makes sense to get as many out of the way as I can before my status as a student ends late this year so I can take advantage of the savings.
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    My college offers a student discount but you need to order them a few months ahead of time. It's a school program, not a official Comptia program, so it's up to your school to set up all the stuff.
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You get discount when you become the member of CompTIA.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
    Kasor wrote: »
    You get discount when you become the member of CompTIA.
    Yeah, but for individuals, your only choice is to go with the IT Pro membership, which I believe is about $80USD/year and only gets you a 25% off ONE exam per year of membership. If you're going to take the Network+ exam, you would be saving maybe $20-30 off a discount voucher that you could buy elsewhere without having to spend $80 to join anything.

You *do* however get access to Books 24x7 with an IT Pro membership to CompTIA as an individual, so that's definitely worth something...but it's only access to the CompTIA reference library. It makes you eligible for a discount on a fuller access package, but that's more money that you have to spend. You can get better access to Books 24x7 (plus access to SkillSoft & more) with a membership to ACM, which is only $19 for a student & is $99 for a pro/non-student.

Don't get me wrong - I think CompTIA is valuable for issuing entry-level certifications and helping people break into the industry, but I'm just not sure that their pricing structure is so fair (the A+ exams are overpriced in my opinion) or that it's really worth paying for a membership unless you have some extra cash to spare (which I don't!).

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Honestly, I'd rather keep them at their current prices than force people to renew every three years. I would imagine the A+ is the majority of their revenue, with the Network+ in a distant second, so I can see why they wouldn't want to give too many discounts. The income from those probably helps fund the development of the less popular ones as well.
    dynamik wrote: »
    Honestly, I'd rather keep them at their current prices than force people to renew every three years. I would imagine the A+ is the majority of their revenue, with the Network+ in a distant second, so I can see why they wouldn't want to give too many discounts. The income from those probably helps fund the development of the less popular ones as well.
    Good point, I never really thought of it that way. I guess for non-expiring certs for companies like Microsoft, there is other revenue that they can rely on in order to feed development of exams...and they kinda have a vested interest in developing certification exams for their own products, whereas CompTIA is "nonproprietary" (even though their more popular certs are mostly geared towards MS/Windows products) and really doesn't have any other income except from their tests/vouchers & books & merchandise.

• AduroAduro Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You might want to try to check out some clubs. We have a club called AITP which allows every member basically half off any CompTIA exam.
  • ElvisGElvisG Member Posts: 167
    I'm not a student and my local community college let's me take any Prometric test at 50% off.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    skrpune wrote: »
    You *do* however get access to Books 24x7 with an IT Pro membership to CompTIA as an individual, so that's definitely worth something...but it's only access to the CompTIA reference library. It makes you eligible for a discount on a fuller access package, but that's more money that you have to spend. You can get better access to Books 24x7 (plus access to SkillSoft & more) with a membership to ACM, which is only $19 for a student & is $99 for a pro/non-student.

Does this ^^ sound like Scientology to anyone else?
    brad- wrote: »
    What can I say, I'm a believer in ACM now! ;)

But seriously, I just don't see the draw of becoming a CompTIA member other than to say "Hey, I'm a CompTIA member!" I am digging my ACM membership so far though, and I plan to be doing a chunk of software downloading this weekend...and as long as ACM doesn't have anything to do with LRH or auditing, I'm a happy camper... icon_lol.gif

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    brad- wrote: »

I can't believe you guys are speaking out against the sacred CompTIA IT Pro membership. I have my fingers crossed you all don't suddenly "disappear." icon_eek.gif
  • nevolvednevolved Member Posts: 131
    There is a student discount. Your school has to buy the discount though which costs 900 dollars. Students and teachers can then take exams at 50% off the regular price.