installation error

I've got this error every time I try to setup window server 2003 standard edition. I've checked the media and it's ok. I'm using vmware workstation ace edition 6. Any ideas?
thanks.

vmwareerror.jpg
No Sacrifice, No Victory.

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    You're getting this BSOD while installing Windows Server 2003 in VMWare? I associate this message with bad memory or a bad hard drive.

After you create your VMWare image, but before you boot from the CD to install Windows, run a disk diagnostic to see if there are any problems with the hard drive partition or the VMWare files for that image. It might also be possible that your installation CD is bad, so I'd get another one to try, or download the CD's ISO from MSDN if you can.
  • ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    JDMurray wrote: »
    You're getting this BSOD while installing Windows Server 2003 in VMWare? I associate this message with bad memory or a bad hard drive.

After you create your VMWare image, but before you boot from the CD to install Windows, run a disk diagnostic to see if there are any problems with the hard drive partition or the VMWare files for that image. It might also be possible that your installation CD is bad, so I'd get another one to try, or download the CD's ISO from MSDN if you can.

I've just reinstalled windows xp yesterday on my host computer, performed a clean install and it worked fine so I think there's no problem with my hardware. Thanks JD.. I'll try the CD .iso.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Are you creating the VMWare image on the same partition that you installed Windows XP, or are you using a different partition? Regardless, run a CHKDSK on the partition where your VMWare image files are.

And when you installed Windows XP, did you use the quick format or the full format? The quick format doesn't check the installation partition for errors.

If the BSOD still occurs after you've ruled out disk errors and installation media problem, download a copy of memtest86 (or memtest86+) and have it exercise your system's RAM overnight. I don't think this is the problem, but it doesn't hurt to rule out bad RAM.
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Are you creating the VMWare image on the same partition that you installed Windows XP, or are you using a different partition? Regardless, run a CHKDSK on the partition where your VMWare image files are.

And when you installed Windows XP, did you use the quick format or the full format? The quick format doesn't check the installation partition for errors.

If the BSOD still occurs after you've ruled out disk errors and installation media problem, download a copy of memtest86 (or memtest86+) and have it exercise your system's RAM overnight. I don't think this is the problem, but it doesn't hurt to rule out bad RAM.

I've set the default location for my vm in my documents. Haven't installed any guest OS on vmware at the moment since I'm trying to install server 2003 first. I've encountered the error just right after I hit format, I've tried full format but it didn't help either. I'll try to test my ram this time as you suggested. Thanks
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've had BSOD issues because I had a bad ISO download. Re-downloading the ISO fixed the problem for me.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    royal wrote: »
    I've had BSOD issues because I had a bad ISO download. Re-downloading the ISO fixed the problem for me.

That's my thoughts. Bad media seems to be the most likely culprit.
    what do you do after the 160 days expiration? Can I just reinstall to the same VM or should I create a new one?