Exam time?

ger the manger the man Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
Right, I have read the sybex SY0-201 book three or four times, including the chapter summary and have answered the practice tests over and over on the CD too. I know what is going to be on the following page when I start to read the opposite page. Time to take the exam??

Thanks for all replies!

Comments

• mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you place 90% on the practice test from the CD and 90% on the practice questions in the book, you should be fine. I bet that you dream this material now! Go for it!
  • ger the manger the man Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mamono wrote: »
    If you place 90% on the practice test from the CD and 90% on the practice questions in the book, you should be fine. I bet that you dream this material now! Go for it!

Im getting 100% in some of the practice questions in the book, when I get a question wrong its usually because I didnt read the question properly. How representitive are the questions in the book and CD on the exam?

Thanks
    Ger
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I was you I would read syngress, because Sybex does not cover verywell wireless and perimeters, just sybex is not enough.

Try to buy another exam simulator, the exams in sybex is like a review form the chapters, you need more, I passed this exam in my second try and I had exp. So this exam is not easy.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

I see, might take a look at the syngress book then.

Thanks
    impelse wrote: »
    If I was you I would read syngress, because Sybex does not cover verywell wireless and perimeters, just sybex is not enough.

Try to buy another exam simulator, the exams in sybex is like a review form the chapters, you need more, I passed this exam in my second try and I had exp. So this exam is not easy.

Fair enough but I have 10 years experience in IT (2.5 years in security). When you say perimeters, do you mean physical perimeters?

Thanks
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Fair enough but I have 10 years experience in IT (2.5 years in security). When you say perimeters, do you mean physical perimeters?

Thanks

if you have that much experience, then I think you're good to go

Good luck, and tell us how it goes..I'm taking the exam this month :)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I second that notion. I used the Sybex book only for the SY0-201 exam, but I had experience with server systems prior to studying. I think you'll be fine.
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Remember S+ covered everything from idea, concept, procedure, methods and techniques...
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
    Exam booked for March 6th - 350 euro so I better pass!!
    Exam booked for March 6th - 350 euro so I better pass!!

Just wondering if there is any other material (besides books) that I should be using to study? CBT Nuggets etc? I have completed the book about 6 times now along with the practice exams and revison questions in each chapter and im getting 90% +.

Free Guinness t-shirt from Ireland to all constructive replies!
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Just wondering if there is any other material (besides books) that I should be using to study? CBT Nuggets etc? I have completed the book about 6 times now along with the practice exams and revison questions in each chapter and im getting 90% +.

Free Guinness t-shirt from Ireland to all constructive replies!

I don't think my suggestion will be very genius, but in case you haven't noticed, there's a section in this forum called "TechNotes", and there are practice tests there icon_lol.gif

TechExams.net TechNotes

also this site has good summary of concepts:
    Security+ Essentials - Techotopia

Good luck icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    Dude! Take that test already lol! That way I will know if the book is a good resource or not. I have the Sybex for 201 and I plan to read it once plus my other resources. I hope it's a good read...
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • RasenganRasengan Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, ger, it is time to take the exam.
    I bought the Sybex Sec+ Kit. I read the Study/Review guides thoroughly, never cracked the "Street Smarts" book and took all the CD tests. Passed w/ a 830, only 2 weeks of studying.

I don't think your knowledge will be the problem...CompTIA's questions can be pretty damn vague sometimes.
    Andretii wrote: »
    Dude! Take that test already lol! That way I will know if the book is a good resource or not. I have the Sybex for 201 and I plan to read it once plus my other resources. I hope it's a good read...

I didnt pass, I need to use a second source the next time (705 out of 750)
  • AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    I didnt pass, I need to use a second source the next time (705 out of 750)

Ouch, so close man. Sorry to hear that.
    Do you know what are your weak areas now? Definition of technology or the application of it?

Maybe go through the exam objectives again and check things that you might have never seen before.

icon_study.gif good luck.
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
    Andretii wrote: »
    Ouch, so close man. Sorry to hear that.
    Do you know what are your weak areas now? Definition of technology or the application of it?

Maybe go through the exam objectives again and check things that you might have never seen before.

icon_study.gif good luck.

Cheers,
    I just purchased the transcender software and Im averaging around 75% on each test
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am sorry for that, it is hard, but keep doing you will get it. I failed the first time with 720 that was hard too, but I keep studying and I passed last December
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

I am very impressed by the standard of questions in the transcender software. I find they are actually harder than what is in the book