USB Problems

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi guys I have just built myself a new rig, Foxconn 45CMX board, I am having trouble getting the USB devices to work firstly I have installed the drivers provided with the m/b and checked device manager everything is reporting it's installed.

When I first installed the driver I was prompted with a Usb surge on hub port a device is using to much power, I have nothing plugged in

I have a 800W supply in the machine so power shouldn't be a issue when I plug in a USB device into the back of the machine nothing happens.
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Does your case have a lead inside to connect the front panel mounted USB sockets? Unplug that and try again.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You could also try uninstalling the USB Root in Device Manager and then reboot and let the OS load them again. I have used this at work a few times.
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The front panel usb ports have been connected still no joy when I connect any usb devices, I have uninstalled the drivers and rebooted the machine still doesn't work.

On the mainboard there are 3 pins saying USB pwr 1 and 2 do I need to connect anything to these?

On previous boards I have worked on it was just a case on install the board into the case and USB works fine.

I'm really confused as I cannot seem to see any connectors which fit the USB pwr 1 and 2

ally_uk wrote: »
    The front panel usb ports have been connected still no joy when I connect any usb devices
    I said disconnect them.
    I have disconnected them and the USB ports still do not work

• aquageekaquageek Member Posts: 152
    Is it possible you have a defective usb device that drew too much power and blew the port?
    You are the systems administrator for a large enterprise that has decided to place computers in the lobby for access to public company information. On Tuesday morning Rooslan storms into your office screaming, "what the hell is this? In the last question I was the systems administrator. Now I am only a "Backup Operator"? This **** is crazy!"
    Both of the USB devices work fine all the USB ports on the back of the motherboard are not working. A little history the board is a replacement foxconn board bought from Ebay the original mobo had a bent capicitor and wasn't outputting any graphics. I'm starting to wonder if this this board is knackered to.

I might just diasbled the onboard USB and insert a USB PCI card for now

Sounds like the board is screwed. One thing I gotta ask, it is installed properly? Like you don't have any metal standoff posts underneath that don't correspond to a mounting hole? I've seen people miscount them and then end up burning out traces on the board.
    The board is mounted fine, I installed a USB-2 pci card tonight and when I plug a device into the USB-2 pci card windows does not recognise the device I am thinking the board has to be knackered.

The board is mounted fine, I installed a USB-2 pci card tonight and when I plug a device into the USB-2 pci card windows does not recognise the device I am thinking the board has to be knackered.
    That doesn't make sense. If the motherboard USB ports were broken then it shouldn't affect the USB ports on the PCI card. The PCI card will have its own USB controller on it. It doesn't share anything with the built in ports.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    I have a 800W supply in the machine so power shouldn't be a issue when I plug in a USB device into the back of the machine nothing happens.

Not saying that it's the PSU, but high wattage doesn't = good PSU necessarily. I'll take a quality 500W from someone like PC Power and Cooling over a 1000W Rosewill anyday of the week.

Sounds like the mobo is screwed to me though. Also why I always get a top tier mobo brand (Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, DFI, etc.) and don't buy from Ebay.
    Good luck to all!
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    Also why I always get a top tier mobo brand (Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, DFI, etc.)
    Technically Foxconn is a top tier manufacturer. They're one of the major OEM manufacturers out there. Loads of companies use them e.g. Apple. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the companies you listed contract out to them either.