Options

Newbie to Voice>>> Help Needed

linkadminlinkadmin Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
I need help to get started with knowing Voice things, I completed my CCIE in routing and switching and now planning for a career in Unified Communications what cisco calls it now a days.

As I have all understanding of data networks but I am at entry level in the field of voice, I have neither worked nor seen any voice equipments apart from my IP phone and don't know about them either.

Also as I don't have any work experience, need help how to get my career started in Voice

So I would like to know more about how to get started, currently i have chosen to start CCNA voice as this is the very basic exam

So what material should i Use to study not from the Exam perspective but from real production environment perspective.

Regards

Comments

• Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Seriously? You're a CCIE and you don't know what to study for voice?
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd normally either delete a duplicate post or add a link to the other post and close one of the threads -- but the CCNA:Voice does complicate life a little bit.

In the CCVP, the only mention of CallManager Express is in the CIPT exam(s) where integration (from the CallManager side) is mentioned. And Cisco Unity finally comes up during the Troubleshooting exam (or at least it did in the old IPTT exam).

The CCNA:Voice looks like it's all about setting up a small office using CallManager Express and Unity Express.

To match the exam blueprint you'd probably want to get a UC520 -- but a 265xXM with AIM-CUE should be enough to get by. A 2nd router to act as the PSTN cloud (with both digital and analog interfaces) should let you practice all configuration tasks.

Someone else mentioned they used notepad -- but I'm not sure how well that translates to a hands-on test during a job interview. :D

In addition to the CCNA:Voice Official Exam Certification Guide and the CCNA:Voice Quick Reference I'd suggest the IP Telephony Using CallManager Express Lab Portfolio.

Cisco IP Communications Express: CallManager Express with Cisco Unity Express is a good book, but could be teetering on the verge of overkill for the CCNA:Voice.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    nevolvednevolved Member Posts: 131
    I have a really hard time believing you are a CCIE and are asking this question. Furthermore, you are a CCIE with ZERO work experience?
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ColbyNA wrote: »
    nevolved wrote: »
    I have a really hard time believing you are a CCIE and are asking this question.

Last time I checked there were 5 CCIE Tracks and there was no requirement that someone passing the Lab for one track was required to be an expert in all tracks.

Simba123 asked about Security Equipment in this thread http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccie/22488-asa-5505-ccie-security-lab.html and no one got their panties in a bunch at that question. icon_rolleyes.gif

And these CCIE's didn't seem to think there was anything wrong about posting questions in the CCVP forum:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccvp/35025-1760-v-pstn-switch.html

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccvp/30833-need-setup-srst.html

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccvp/32621-vwic-1mft-t1.html

I suspect that lots of CCIEs have figured out that while they can learn a lot from mistakes -- it's always a lot more fun (and cheaper) if the mistakes are made by someone else (and that person shares their experience).
    nevolved wrote: »
    Furthermore, you are a CCIE with ZERO work experience?
    I got the impression they were talking about Voice.
    linkadmin wrote: »
    As I have all understanding of data networks but I am at entry level in the field of voice, I have neither worked nor seen any voice equipments apart from my IP phone and don't know about them either.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    linkadminlinkadmin Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ColbyNA wrote: »

CCIE does not mean one has mastered all the networks available in this world, If you wanna be a CCIE you have to focus on your target and u cannot have multiple targets,

I am working in an ISP on core routing and switching technologies since I started my career, so in my ISP they do not offer any voice over IP services and I am the part of the core team, so my target was to hit RnS and till now I have studied all books related to Routing and Switching, I asked this Question because Unified communications platforms are not at all close to the Data network products of cisco. Moreover technologies are also totally different than the data networks so I was just about to start and hence posted it.

Hope it Clarifies all the doubts u guys have.
  • Options
    tomsettomset Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    linkadmin wrote: »
    Hope it Clarifies all the doubts u guys have.

Why wouldn't you add your CCIE certification and # to your profile? If I was a CCIE I'd be shouting it from the rooftops......
    Next up:
    CCIP
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    icon_eek.gif Wow, hostile crowd.

I have to agree with icon_mike.gif on this one. Just because a guy is a CCIE in one track doesn't mean he has any experience in another. And also shouldn't prevent him from asking questions.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tomset wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you add your CCIE certification and # to your profile? If I was a CCIE I'd be shouting it from the rooftops......

A lot of people probably want to keep information that could personally identify them off of public websites. It really doesn't seem that unreasonable.
    icon_eek.gif Wow, hostile crowd.

I have to agree with icon_mike.gif on this one. Just because a guy is a CCIE in one track doesn't mean he has any experience in another. And also shouldn't prevent him from asking questions.

Seriously. It's not like he was gloating about it. What's the point of jumping over someone for asking some basic questions?
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Wow. Mike has his own icon_mike.gif thingie

Some cats are cool like that

And I agree with everyone who is telling the hostile crowd to back off

Why scare a CCIE away from our forums? Once they get the voice thing down pat, you'll want them to post back with how they did it.

;)