telephony-service setup command

Why is it that the "telephony-service setup" command can only be entered on my non-voice 2600 router but can't be configured on my 3810 voice rotuer? I was going to do this command to setup an IP phone to talk to my two analog phones on my 3810, but realized that it doesn't exist there.

I have my 2600 doing router-on-a-stick through a 2950 switch to my two IP phones, while I have my 3810 connecting two analog phones to its FXS ports. I thought about doing a lab where I have the analog phones through one router talk to the IP phones through the other router, but the 2600 has neither T1 nor serial ports. Its only ethernet port is being used to trunk to its switch.

Could someone suggest an alternative lab exercise? I wonder if I need to expand my routers' physical capabilities.....
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Different IOS versions?
  • CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    Is the command "telephony-service setup" something inherent to Cisco CallManger Express? When I try and google for the solutions, CME is all over the search results.
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The telephony-service setup is used for CME. I don't know if it is supported on the 3810, but I'm sure some googling could get you the answer though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    The telephony-service setup is used for CME. I don't know if it is supported on the 3810, but I'm sure some googling could get you the answer though.

Ok, I suspected as much. I'm using a lab-practice workbook from a class, which used CME. Not much help now, since I don't use CME with what I have.

I just wonder if the 2600 router is up to the job in my voice lab. No T1 port, one ethernet port, no serial port.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I just wonder if the 2600 router is up to the job in my voice lab. No T1 port, one ethernet port, no serial port.
    You should probably get it one or two WIC-1T interfaces -- then you can use it as a gatekeeper (and route WAN traffic through it and configure QoS). But even if you don't, you can still plug it in the network with just the Ethernet port -- and still use it as a Gatekeeper.

If you get it a NM-2V and a VIC-2FXS then you plug in an analog phone and fax machine.

Oh -- SRST could be an option, depending on the IOS version/feature set, for the 2600.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!