Passed with a 740.

TheDongerTheDonger Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
I can't believe I'm kinda mad at myself for not pulling an 800, but damned if the backup strategy questions weren't tougher than I'd thought.

(Study your remote backup stuff ya'll!)

Regardless, the support from this forum and the 4-hour-a-day-for-3-weeks studying regimine helped, as I haven't messed with server in any substantive way before mid-January. Thanks guys!

Comments

• BulollaBulolla Banned Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulation?
  • amp2030amp2030 Member Posts: 253
    A pass is a pass. Congrats! And good luck with the beast if that's next!
  • genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Well done! :)
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • aquageekaquageek Member Posts: 152
    Nice work you did!
    You are the systems administrator for a large enterprise that has decided to place computers in the lobby for access to public company information. On Tuesday morning Rooslan storms into your office screaming, "what the hell is this? In the last question I was the systems administrator. Now I am only a "Backup Operator"? This **** is crazy!"
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• DaggedDagged Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    the most important you passed congrats icon_smile.gif
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    TheDonger wrote: »
    I can't believe I'm kinda mad at myself for not pulling an 800

I'm also mad at you for not getting 800. just kidding...

Congrats! icon_cheers.gif
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • manny355manny355 Member Posts: 134
  • TheDongerTheDonger Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm also mad at you for not getting 800. just kidding...

Congrats! icon_cheers.gif

*sob*

Honestly though, I'm actually thinking I may go for the way-too-easy but confidence-building Windows Vista elective test next, just to get me to the point where I can have something else on my resume that's "new."

That or Linux+... I feel a bit burned out on MS.
    *sob*

Honestly though, I'm actually thinking I may go for the way-too-easy but confidence-building Windows Vista elective test next, just to get me to the point where I can have something else on my resume that's "new."

That or Linux+... I feel a bit burned out on MS.

I hear ya about feeling burned, it happens to all of us.

Just something to think about here if you want a break from MS.... If you go for the security+, that can count towards both MCSA and MCSE as an elective. So basically if you do the Security+ and 70-291, then you can get your MCSA.
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/partners.mspx

Anyways, good luck whatever path you choose.
    I hear ya about feeling burned, it happens to all of us.

Just something to think about here if you want a break from MS.... If you go for the security+, that can count towards both MCSA and MCSE as an elective. So basically if you do the Security+ and 70-291, then you can get your MCSA.
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/partners.mspx

Anyways, good luck whatever path you choose.

How hard would you consider security+ to be? I was considering actually taking Vista as my elective, as I've been told that it's super-easy.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd say it's harder, but more interesting and useful. I'd go with the Security+, given the option. Difficulty isn't everything.
    dynamik wrote: »
    I'd say it's harder, but more interesting and useful. I'd go with the Security+, given the option. Difficulty isn't everything.

My only problem is that everybody is kind of going off about how the best book available for the test is still not enough, and considering that the test costs 200 dollars I don't find that to be comforting. Just makes me nervous that the path could be so convoluted.
    I haven't done the Vista exam, so i can't honestly compare them. But Dynamik has, so I'd go with what he says. While the security+ wasn't a walk in the park, it is still a entry level security exam. So it's nothing you shouldn't be able to handle with honest study time.
    My only problem is that everybody is kind of going off about how the best book available for the test is still not enough, and considering that the test costs 200 dollars I don't find that to be comforting. Just makes me nervous that the path could be so convoluted.

Don't fret the $200 bro, if it means you get a job over the next guy it easily pays for itself. Or if you already have a job, it could mean the difference between a promotion or staying put in your current position.

It's only Money, even if you fail and have to take it again, it will still pay dividends many times over. Try and find a stock for $200 and see how it performs over the course of the next couple of years.

YOU are the best investment you will ever make.
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The Vista exam is very easy compared to the others. It's easy to underestimate, though. You need to study just the same and get the hands on. Just learn the objectives and you'll be fine. :D

Congrats!
    genXrcist wrote: »
    Don't fret the $200 bro, if it means you get a job over the next guy it easily pays for itself. Or if you already have a job, it could mean the difference between a promotion or staying put in your current position.

It's only Money, even if you fail and have to take it again, it will still pay dividends many times over. Try and find a stock for $200 and see how it performs over the course of the next couple of years.

YOU are the best investment you will ever make.

True, I have watched my 'market value' (what an annoying term) go up exponentially in the past 6 months. My issue is that every guide I look at buying has reviews that scream "This isn't enough to pass the test!"

So I end up buying 3 guides, none of which are 'good enough?' Rough going!

Ideas?
  • BulletzBulletz Member Posts: 159
    Congratulation.... mate!!!
    Show me the way to go 127.0.0.1
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Check out the Syngress book and Transcender (these are only for the older exam I believe, but they should still be mostly relevant). You can fill in the gaps by looking at the objectives and using Wikipedia and/or Google.
    Ignore the user reviews imo. Just cuz it didn't work for one guy doesn't mean it won't work for you. I'd say 2 sources is enough to pass any exam. The first source to learn the material, to get familiar with it. The 2nd source to cement the knowledge. Anything more than that and I myself would wonder if I was really studying to my potential the 1st/2nd go-arounds. That's just me though. :)

Also, find a publisher that works for you. I myself use Sybex 100% of the time because it works for me. Other's might use ExamCram, or MS Press/Cisco Press etc. I find that my brain gets used to one writing 'style' and I learn better because I'm sort of in Cruise Control mode. I know they have different authors but I think they tend to try to write with the same feel per publisher. Just my thoughts. :)
  • TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    I use MS Press because they are authoritive, and definitely boring and dry, absolutely. I also like Exam Cram's
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I was you I would take the security+, I passed in my second shot. The information in security+ chance a lot the way how you study your certification, because any exam that you take and have any security objective and how to improve it you take not and try to apply it.

The investment for security+ will pay off.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.