Options

Delegate Control Wizard Question

f3z81f3z81 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys I have a question to do with the “delegate control” wizard in exchange 2003.

I have been getting some lap practice in due to me failing the 284 last week (622/1000); I currently have 3 win 2003 enterprise servers set up in virtual PC. One is my DC and the other two are member servers, both of which have Exchange server 2003 installed (Enterprise edition).

All is working fine with my exchange set up, this far, and mail is being sent and received ok.

I have been playing about with permissions to try and get my head round it all, as I do not have any prior knowledge of Exchange Admin prior to the class based course which finished back in January.

Time to get to my question:
What permissions have to be granted to allow a user to use the delegate control wizard?

The reason I ask is that I know the user that sets up the exchange server is automatically given the full admin control permissions. I also know enterprise admins gain inherited permission along with domain admins, and understand the 3 level of control that the delegate control wizard can permit, and that for both exchange admin and Full exchange admin, you also need to be part of the Admins group on the local machine.

All that been said, if I use the user account I used to set up exchange, and grant a standard user with no special or additional domain permissions as a Full exchange admin via the delegate control wizard on an administrative group (and also give that user Local admin permissions), they then have full control over that admin group – great, works fine, can add and change permissions for other users no problem using the security tap in each objects permissions. But for some reason this user who now has full exchange admin can’t successfully use the delegate control wizard to even set up view only permission for another user. Throws up error when I select finish.

Sorry for this long winded question but it has been bugging me all day!

+ Does anyone know is there a way to add the effective permissions tab, when dealing with the security options in a particular object properties (Its normally in the advance options, but for some reason Exchange does not show it / does not have it).
2011:

CCNA April / May (Hopefully)

ITIL v3
Prince2
MCTS Windows 7

Then Rest! :thumbup:

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Implement the registry fix in this kb article to show the security tab on other objects:

XADM: Security Tab Not Available on All Objects in System Manager

I don't recall exactly if you have to have full admin at the organization level to be able to delegate control or not. Someone else will chime in.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    f3z81f3z81 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    Implement the registry fix in this kb article to show the security tab on other objects:

XADM: Security Tab Not Available on All Objects in System Manager

I don't recall exactly if you have to have full admin at the organization level to be able to delegate control or not. Someone else will chime in.

cheers mate ill check this out
    2011:

CCNA April / May (Hopefully)

ITIL v3
    Prince2
    MCTS Windows 7

Then Rest! :thumbup: