Management vlan

dongargon4dongargon4 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi to you all,

I have a 3550 , 2950 and 3524 switch connected to each other and i'm trying to change my mangement vlan from vlan 1 to something else but its not working for me.

The 3550 switch is connected to my router so if i assign the default vlan1 on all my switches an ip address i can telnet into them, but if i shutdown vlan1 on all switches and create another vlan for my managemnt vlan i am unable to log on so what am i doing wrong?

Comments

• cowood2676cowood2676 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It sounds like you may have created a native vlan mismatch. You could try trunking the ports between your router and switches. that would allow all vlans by default, but this is kind of hard to answer not seeing an configs. if you could post the router and te switch connected to it, I will look at it and tell you why it is not working.icon_cheers.gif
  • dongargon4dongargon4 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cowood i'm at work at the moment so unable to give config but basically i have a 3550 switch connected to a 2950 and 3524 switch and a linksys router. the router is supplying the ip thru dhcp and both 2950 and 3524 switches are connected to the 3550 using trunk ports. all switches ae using the default vlan and setting so hpw do i go about changing the management vlna form vlan1 to vlan10 in a senario like this?
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dongargon4 wrote: »
    Cowood i'm at work at the moment so unable to give config but basically i have a 3550 switch connected to a 2950 and 3524 switch and a linksys router. the router is supplying the ip thru dhcp and both 2950 and 3524 switches are connected to the 3550 using trunk ports. all switches ae using the default vlan and setting so hpw do i go about changing the management vlna form vlan1 to vlan10 in a senario like this?

You can scrub your config for IP addresses if that's what your concern is in providing configs. Check your CAM tables and ARP tables and make sure things are occurring as they should. Can't help you much more without configs, what you described sounds like it SHOULD work.
  • cowood2676cowood2676 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The key word here is "management." You can change the default VLAN using the "switchport trunk native vlan VLAN-ID" command. But that's not the same thing as the management VLAN (i.e., the one with the IP address assigned).

If you assign an ip address to Interface VLAN 10 on a layer 2 switch, then the new management vlan is something other that VLAN 1... Simple as that.

The thing to remember though is that all switchports will still be assigned to VLAN 1. Changing the Management VLAN does not automatically change vlan assignments on a switchport. So, you will immediatly lose connection to the switch if you are are not using console to make the changes