CallManager on a laptop or a server

Computer idiotComputer idiot Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
If you have Callmanager on a laptop using vmware, how is it hooked into your network in order to use CM? Ethernet from the laptop to a switch? And if I have a different laptop with another instance of Callmanager on it that I want to be on a different network, it would go to a different switch on a different router? I'm just now starting to learn it all. Thanks.

Comments

• pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You can bridge your network connection or use the virtual network management utility to bind the VM to a physical NIC if you have more than one installed. From there you can plug into a switch.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Computer idiotComputer idiot Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    pitviper wrote: »
    You can bridge your network connection or use the virtual network management utility to bind the VM to a physical NIC if you have more than one installed. From there you can plug into a switch.

Can you elaborate on how that's done? Bridging my network connection to bind the VM to a physical NIC? I'm afraid you're going to have to dumb it down a little for me.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Can you elaborate on how that's done?
    It's just VMWare software setup/configuration.... setting it up was/is so simple I don't even remember doing it.

How about if I distract you with a bunch of Videos that will probably explain it? Check out the blindhog.net link in this post -- http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccvp/32865-my-ccvp-diary.html#post281183

That should give you a hint, or at least a taste of the VMWare config to talk to real hardware devices on your network. If you poke through the Voice/CCVP videos there you should find one of the original CallManager on VMWare videos. You'll probably be looking for one of the videos linked to by astorrs in this thread -- http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccvp/32354-running-ccm.html#post221825

FYI (after you read that thread): Crunchy does have a VMWare Call Manager running now and I think he's mentioned having phones registered and working.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have CCM6 running on VMware and it works great with the ethernet set to bridged. I think it's the default, but should be easy to change if you selected something other than bridged.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=95&stc=1&d=1238263328
    mikej412 wrote: »
    It's just VMWare software setup/configuration.... setting it up was/is so simple I don't even remember doing it.

How about if I distract you with a bunch of Videos that will probably explain it? Check out the blindhog.net link in this post -- http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccvp/32865-my-ccvp-diary.html#post281183

That should give you a hint, or at least a taste of the VMWare config to talk to real hardware devices on your network. If you poke through the Voice/CCVP videos there you should find one of the original CallManager on VMWare videos. You'll probably be looking for one of the videos linked to by astorrs in this thread -- http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccvp/32354-running-ccm.html#post221825

FYI (after you read that thread): Crunchy does have a VMWare Call Manager running now and I think he's mentioned having phones registered and working.

Thanks. I'll IM crunchy to see what he's done

so would I be able to connect my CallManager/laptop-running-vmware, along with two IP phones -- to a switch, and run it to a voice router? and since I'm separating voice from data vlans, wouldn't the router need to do encapsulation? in other words, make sure I'm using an 802.1q-empowered router? then I could connect that router to another voice router via a t1. Is this feasable?
    so would I be able to connect my CallManager/laptop-running-vmware, along with two IP phones -- to a switch, and run it to a voice router?
    Yup
    and since I'm separating voice from data vlans, wouldn't the router need to do encapsulation? in other words, make sure I'm using an 802.1q-empowered router? then I could connect that router to another voice router via a t1.
    Ya gotta do what ya gotta do to get the data (and voice) where its gotta go.
    Is this feasable?
    Yep -- if it weren't we wouldn't even be having this converstaion (or forum). As long as your hardware supports it (what ever "it" is), you can do it.
    Thanks, Mike. I was going to use the command "encapsulation dot1q" on the 3800 router in order to separate the data and voice vlans, but it doesn't accept it. Does this mean I can't use this router if I plan on hooking up terminals and phones to a switch through it?
    There are 3800 Series Routers (3825 & 3845) that should be able to do dot1q.

And then there's the old MC3810 Voice Routers -- which aren't in the 3800 Series of Routers (just because someone lists them on eBay as 3800s doesn't make it true :D ). They're still good Voice Routers, but you'd need another newer router in your lab to do the "router-on-a-stick."

So which "3800" model are you asking about?
    mikej412 wrote: »
    There are 3800 Series Routers (3825 & 3845) that should be able to do dot1q.

And then there's the old MC3810 Voice Routers -- which aren't in the 3800 Series of Routers (just because someone lists them on eBay as 3800s doesn't make it true :D ). They're still good Voice Routers, but you'd need another newer router in your lab to do the "router-on-a-stick."

So which "3800" model are you asking about?

Ok - I found this page with some information:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0t/12_0t1/feature/guide/8021Q.html#wp3944

Two things are killing me. I only have an ethernet port, not a fast ethernet port. Second, 3810s don't support 802.1q encapsulation no matter how you slice it. So my router won't be able to do any kind of router-on-a-stick, supporting multiple devices through a switch on different vlans. I had wanted to hook up a laptop and some IP phones to a switch, running to the router. Guess I'll have to choose just one item instead.

Can a person get a 1751 or 2600 series router with DSPs/T1s/FXS/FXO ports, too? I've never looked for these on ebay.
    What other equipment do you have in your lab?

While it would be nice to have an "all-in-one-solution for all your routing/voice needs," the cost would prevent a lot of people from ever building a lab.

You should learn about Voice VLANs and how to separate your voice and data traffic.... but if you don't have an extra router (or two or three) that can do the Inter VLAN routing or route your voice traffic to a Voice Gateway, or send your Voice Traffic across your WAN to another "lab office" -- then just **** all your traffic into the native VLAN for now and don't stress about it.

If you get another cheap router, like a 2610 with IP Plus IOS greater than 12.2 ( 8 )T or 1721 then setup your "lab HQ" or a "lab branch office" properly using a Voice VLAN. Or if (when) you get a newer Voice Router, like a 1760-V (or 2600XM or 3640 and toss in some expensive Voice Interfaces) then you could use that as your "all-in-one branch office single router Voice/Routing solution."