Router + Switch Config Q

Jaguar0616Jaguar0616 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
So there must be something simple and obvious I'm missing here, any help will be really appreciated. Here's the setup:

Gateway switch, IP 172.17.0.1 / 16
--- connected to ----
Local switch, IP 172.17.12.193 / 30
--- connected to ----
Router's Ethernet interface, IP 172.17.12.194 / 30

The local switch and the router can ping each other, the local switch can ping the gateway switch and servers on the outside world.

The problem is I can't ping the gateway switch from the router. Setting the router's default route to the IP of the local switch didn't work. So, umm, what would?

Thank you!

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Are those L3 switches?
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    What do you mean by "gateway switch"?
  • amp2030amp2030 Member Posts: 253
    /usr wrote: »
    What do you mean by "gateway switch"?

Something like this, maybe?

Cisco Announces New Gateway Switch - Business Center - PC World

Sounds out of my league, but if it's like regular switches, is 172.17.0.1/16 the IP for VLAN1? If so, is it open (no shutdown)?
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    amp2030 wrote: »
    Doubt it. The SFS 3504 is a Infiniband <--> FC device.

If the OP doesn't actually have L3 switches then that is why. Pointing at the IP of the management interface will do nothing for routing.
  • Jaguar0616Jaguar0616 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies all.

Sorry I wasn't clearer in my original q, both switches are 2950's and the router's a 2610. By "gateway switch" I meant that 172.17.0.1 / 16 is the default gateway address for all the devices in this lab, the other switch and router are the ones I'm actually configuring.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Jaguar0616 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies all.

Sorry I wasn't clearer in my original q, both switches are 2950's and the router's a 2610. By "gateway switch" I meant that 172.17.0.1 / 16 is the default gateway address for all the devices in this lab, the other switch and router are the ones I'm actually configuring.

You should set the default gateway for all devices as the router if you want them to all be able to reach each other.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    A switch will never be your default gateway.

The default gateway is the IP address where all traffic is directed that is not destined for your LAN.

The device that receives that traffic has to know how and where to route that traffic as it leaves the LAN. Only a router can do this.

In your case, for the lab you're configuring, the default gateway for your LAN would be the router's Ethernet interface or 172.17.12.19
  • Morty3Morty3 Member Posts: 139
    techexamsscenario.png
    CCNA, CCNA:Sec, Net+, Sonicwall Admin (fwiw). Constantly getting into new stuff.
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You can get away with using a switch as a default gateway in a lab, but not with a 2950.

You'd need something like a 3550/3560/3750 that can do MLS (layer 3) switching.

Those are probably overkill for the CCNA.

Only drawback would be that you couldn't get to the "outside" world, since an L3 switch wouldn't be able to talk to your ISP. For that you need a router.
  • Jaguar0616Jaguar0616 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks again for the replies, I thought finding a switch as the gateway was odd, seems it connects to the real gateway router. My apologies for the confusion, I'm a noob and still getting the vocab down.