Security+ Prereqs and study material ?

epunjabepunjab Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Folks,
I am fresher and want to make my career in Infosec, I decided to go for Security+ certification, but don't have any hands on network or security experience, but in the IT as a software tester for couple of years.
What book and study material would you suggest and do I have to read network book before preparing for Security.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    epunjab wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    I am fresher and want to make my career in Infosec, I decided to go for Security+ certification, but don't have any hands on network or security experience, but in the IT as a software tester for couple of years.
    What book and study material would you suggest and do I have to read network book before preparing for Security.

Thanks in advance

welcome here :)

yes it's really recommended that you have networking knowledge before this one...and generally it's recommended that you pass Network+ (and maybe A+ too) before this one.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    First thing if you browse or serach the forum u would be able to find tons and tons of info about the various notes / books / methods ppl use for this exam

I would presonally reommend u Syngress and Sybex for this but have u given a though in taking network + firsta as i belive that it would give u abasic understanding on the network side b4b cracking Sec+

Anyhow give it a thought .......

and lastly wish u luckicon_thumright.gif
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • epunjabepunjab Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dr IT wrote: »
    First thing if you browse or serach the forum u would be able to find tons and tons of info about the various notes / books / methods ppl use for this exam

I would presonally reommend u Syngress and Sybex for this but have u given a though in taking network + firsta as i belive that it would give u abasic understanding on the network side b4b cracking Sec+

Anyhow give it a thought .......

and lastly wish u luckicon_thumright.gif
    Thanks guys for the advice, that answered my question 100%
    I would go for network+ first or CCNA could also be an option? As I already have CCNA book or it's tough than Network+
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    epunjab wrote: »
    Thanks guys for the advice, that answered my question 100%
    I would go for network+ first or CCNA could also be an option? As I already have CCNA book or it's tough than Network+

Yes CCNA is more difficult, and you will need equipment to practice on, as there are some practical questions, but Network+ is pure theory.

If you can afford CCNA training, it will be good for you and it will hopefully open some doors. I started with CCNA but university classes helped a lot in that.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE