Any advice for someone taking the exam on 4-08-09?

jhmedjhmed Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
As the title states, any last-minute advice? Pointers? Been using Linux in a very limited capacity in my job for the past two years, but not very in-depth.

I used the CBT Nuggets Linux+ series and I'm not impressed with it. I've heard that LinuxCBT is VERY in-depth and repetitious so its a little easier to get a handle on things, but I've run out of time to purchase and use it. Neither am I all that impressed with the Sybex Linux+ book. The Sybex book seemed to jump around a lot, and the 'Nuggets seemed to do the same. Not well laid out.

My worst section is printing. I just can't get a handle on it.... from what I'm reading it seems like CUPS and LPD overlap in some ways and differ in others. Nothing I can find either thru google.com/linux, and the course material I've studied seem to correspond to one another. It's definately gotten the best of me.

I'm thinking I should have waited and taken 2009 exam.

Wish me luck. I look forward to hearing from you...

Comments

• bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
    I just passed the exam last week. I am sure you test experience will differ e bit, but I really did not get hit too hard on printing.

I did get hit hard on command line usage (things like dmesg, and ls, cd, etc), and I got asked several questions about Samba and NIS.

There were a few questions I had that still have me stumped after coming home and googling, so be prepaired for a few tough ones.
  • jhmedjhmed Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good to know. Thanks.

We use Samba at work, so I'm fairly familiar with it, although some reading wouldn't kill me tomorrow night.

NIS I will brush up on, just in case. I know jack-$&^t about it.

I'm ok with command line tools I think; its just the options that sometimes throw me. Some are -v for verify and some are -V, that kinda thing. (Besides, isn't that what the man pages are for?! haha!)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jhmed wrote: »
    (Besides, isn't that what the man pages are for?! haha!)

You'll soon see that there's a difference between reality and the Linux+ exam ;)

Good luck!
    dynamik wrote: »
    You'll soon see that there's a difference between reality and the Linux+ exam ;)

Good luck!

Ain't that the truth!

I passed! Thanks for the advice everyone!

There were a lot more questions about file systems than I was expecting, but I'm just happy its over with... On to the Micro$oft certifications!
  • desertmousedesertmouse Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jhmed wrote: »
    Ain't that the truth!

I passed! Thanks for the advice everyone!

There were a lot more questions about file systems than I was expecting, but I'm just happy its over with... On to the Micro$oft certifications!

Congrats! Now don't forget to put that in your profile...
    Congrats! Now don't forget to put that in your profile...

Thanks!

Oh, right... Updated my profile to include my Certifications.. :)