Lab for MSCE?

Hi all,

I have a A+ and CCNA already and was wondering how long does take to complete the MCSE 2003? I have choosen the route needed for the cert and know that it takes 7 exams (after the 5 I'm going for will have the MCSA). Just need a good idea of how long from start to finish.

I've a lab for the CCNA so thought I'd add to it for when I start the MSCE - going for 70-290 first.

What sort of kit would be needed - as I like the hands on approach

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)
Currently studying:
CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
Everything. Twice ;)

Comments

• aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    Download Virtual PC from microsoft (it's free) and if you already have server licenses setup a couple domain controllers and a couple clients all in virtuals. You could use virtual server 2005 sp2 as well, it gives you more control over the servers but it's really overkill for what you're doing.

If you don't have server licenses you can sign up for 180 day demo licenses that work fine.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    aordal wrote: »
    Download Virtual PC from microsoft (it's free) and if you already have server licenses setup a couple domain controllers and a couple clients all in virtuals. You could use virtual server 2005 sp2 as well, it gives you more control over the servers but it's really overkill for what you're doing.

If you don't have server licenses you can sign up for 180 day demo licenses that work fine.
    This is exactly the advice I'd give. You can use Virtual PC, Virtual Server, VMWare, or any other virtualization software to set up a fully functioning MCSE lab to get your hands dirty with.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    As I have a few spare computers I may as well use them.

I have downloaded the free 180 day trial of server 2003 and installed it one one of them.

How many host machines would be needed for a good setup using Xp pro
    Currently studying:

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    blackninja wrote: »
    As I have a few spare computers I may as well use them.

I have downloaded the free 180 day trial of server 2003 and installed it one one of them.

How many host machines would be needed for a good setup using Xp pro
    Unless you really want to see AD or WSUS pushing out updates on XP machines, you technically don't "need" workstations for your MCSE lab. Having your own machine hooked up to the lab, or having a single VM to be your client should be more than enough to test out the client-related technologies you'll come across. Everything else can be tested and labbed solely from server installs.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    Slowhand wrote: »
    Unless you really want to see AD or WSUS pushing out updates on XP machines, you technically don't "need" workstations for your MCSE lab. Having your own machine hooked up to the lab, or having a single VM to be your client should be more than enough to test out the client-related technologies you'll come across. Everything else can be tested and labbed solely from server installs.

Thanks Slowhand I'll use the above suggestion for my lab and thanks to all for my first steps into MS certs.
    Currently studying:

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)