Options

Management IP address not accepted by ESXi

JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
OK, someone explain this to me: I have ESXi 3.5 U3 running on and Intel mobo server with a 100/1000 Pro NICs. I am configuring the IP address of the ESXi management interface on the server's Direct Console UI. The UI refuses to accept the IP address 192.168.3.* (with * being any value from 1 to 254). It will take 192.168.0.*, 192.168.1.*, 192.168.2.*, 192.168.4.*, ect., but it does not like 3 as the value in the last octet of the network on any of them. And the netmask is /24.

Anyone have an idea why ESXi would refuse a perfectly valid IP address for its management interface? I haven't yet tried upgrading to U4 to see if this "problem" is fixed by it.

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sounds like it might be assigned to another interface perhaps?
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    astorrs wrote: »
    Sounds like it might be assigned to another interface perhaps?

I think he he meant he cannot use the whole /24 range.

I have never seen this before ...

1. Have you tried adding an IP it accepts and then simply add another 192.168.3 management port via the vi client ?

2. Tried to enable SSH and configure the v-switch for the management via command line ?
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Anytime I've had screwy crap like that happen to me I end up blowing away the vswitch and starting over, usually end up getting it to work
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    OK, I finally got back to this problem. I upgraded my ESXi 3.5.0 server from U3 to U4 and now the .3 octet is accepted no problem. It looks like a U3 thing.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    OK, I finally got back to this problem. I upgraded my ESXi 3.5.0 server from U3 to U4 and now the .3 octet is accepted no problem. It looks like a U3 thing.
    Bet you .4 doesn't work now. :p
  • Options
    astorrs wrote: »
    Bet you .4 doesn't work now. :p
    HA! It does work, Mr. Smarty Pants! icon_tongue.gif

Actually, I ended up using .4 when .3 didn't work and I've stuck with it.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    HA! It does work, Mr. Smarty Pants! icon_tongue.gif

Actually, I ended up using .4 when .3 didn't work and I've stuck with it.

So a lot of noise for what ? NOTHING icon_clown.gificon_clown.gificon_clown.gif
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    johnsmith12709johnsmith12709 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Lot of noise is producing in it.....
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    This is a complete guess (and irrelevant since you have worked around it), but it's possible VMWare uses .3 for some mystical interal feature and thus won't accept it on the management interface. VMWare's corporate overlord EMC uses 192.168.1.x and .2.x for internal addressing in some of their IP storage products and we had to re-address our backup network to avoid complications with the SAN. .3 is next in line, so it's possible VMWare was doing the same thing.