Study material

datchidatchi Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I'm planning on taking my Network+ in 5-6 weeks and was wondering if the below would be sufficient in preparation for the exam

Sybex study guide 4th edition
Train Signal Network+
CBT Nugget Network+
and the technotes from this site

I'm a fairly quick learner, study and got my A+ in 3 weeks. I'm thinking this should be a bit easier (the studying) since it's a bit more focused and not all over the board like the A+

I have no *real* IT training or exp - just been building and troubleshooting comp for family/friends and setting up home network the last couple years. I currently work in help desk but I get no exposure to networking.

Comments

• d00dled00dle Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    should be more than enough IMO I only Sybex book (finish 500+ pages in like 2 weeks). I use CBT Nugget preparing for Vista exam & I get the materials better than just reading book.
    Comptia A+
    220-601: Essentials - score 685 (March, 2009)
    220-602: IT Technician - score 792 (March, 2009)

Comptia Network+
    N10-003 - score 554 (April, 2009)

MCTS
    70-620: Configuring Windows Vista - score 807 (May, 2009)
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Agreed. SHould be fine, but is there any reason you are unable to get some experience? Even if you set up a lab to 'see' the network in action, it will be helpful.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • datchidatchi Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Agreed. SHould be fine, but is there any reason you are unable to get some experience? Even if you set up a lab to 'see' the network in action, it will be helpful.

I guess I've never thought of setting up a lab. I have have a network setup in my house with 5 computers connected, but I don't thinking I want to use that as my sisters will kill me if there is downtime icon_lol.gif. What would I need to setup a lab to experiment on? A couple boxes/router/switch?
  • Super99Super99 Member Posts: 274
    You'll do fine. The test is a piece of cake.
    So I tried super hard to study the last couple days. I tried energy drinks, I tried playing really loud music, tried biting a piece of lemon every 5 seconds but i kept falling asleep trying to read the Sybex book! It's so dry...I may have to pick up a Mike Meyers book instead.

Time to give the video training a try. Hopefully, it'll stick better.

Quick question on the OSI model. So I read about the OSI model and I can name the 7 layers and their functions. I'm just curious as to what all this mean in the real world? The OSI model is just a conceptional model, so how is this applicable in a real life situation?
  • romankamromankam Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The 7 layer or the 4 layers of the DOD model can be used during troubleshooting. IE: Is it an application problem or a network problem. Typically something is not working correctly or slowly. Use ping, tracert and other command line utilities to determine the cause. The Application, Presentation and Session are lumped into one in the DOD model: Application. I can't tell them apart in the real world. But there is a difference betwenn physical, data link and network. There is some good info on the Cisco web site. More details than some cram books.
    I guess I don't see how or why I need the OSI model to be able to tell where the problem is. If the link light on the NIC is blinking, I would assume there's a problem with the NIC or the cable. I'm not sure how knowing what layer it is helps any?
  • d00dled00dle Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    no kidding. pretty boring.
    Comptia A+
    220-601: Essentials - score 685 (March, 2009)
    220-602: IT Technician - score 792 (March, 2009)

Comptia Network+
    N10-003 - score 554 (April, 2009)

MCTS
    70-620: Configuring Windows Vista - score 807 (May, 2009)
    Well, I rescheduled the exam for today since I went through most of my study materials. I'm feeling confident but we'll see how it goes...hoping I dont have to spend another $200 icon_sad.gif
    woohoo, I passed! 830/900. Barely any questions on protocols or media. Lots of questions on OSI and what layer devices function at. On to security+ or CCNA after a break
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    datchi wrote: »
    woohoo, I passed! 830/900. Barely any questions on protocols or media. Lots of questions on OSI and what layer devices function at. On to security+ or CCNA after a break

Congrats on your pass icon_thumright.gif And you passed on my wedding day lol.

I originally was going to test at the end of this month but wedding stuff took up more of my time than I hoped so I will shoot for end of June.

Also you are seriously not kidding about the Sybex book being dry. EVERY SINGLE time I read it I would end up napping for 15 minutes or so or be woken up by my then fiancee with my face in the book. I bought the Myers book and have not had one problem. The Sybex is just so dry.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework