Need Advice/Suggestions

DjScientistDjScientist Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I just passed 284 yesterday,MCSA: Messaging now.Continuing on with my MCSE journey.I have already taken 270,290,291,284 and Security+. I already have MS Self Paced for 294,293 and 298.
My company is in Windows Server 2003 Environment and Citrix for Thin Clients.Exchange is 2007 from Exchange 5.5.I joined in less than 3 months.After my 284 pass,should i consider Exchange 2007 or shud i just continue with my MSCE track?
Wat is the best order for me to take the remaining 3 MCSE exams,i mean based on your experience,relevance,overlaping and what works best?
I am planning to take a week break from studying after 284 and should be resuming my studies next week.

NOTE:i don't have a connection at home so most of the practice will be done from my workplace.I thought that should help in suggesting which exam to take,not sure tho am just saying.

Thank you all
Working on 293:

Comments

• ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    I recommend you stick with the MCSE track and take the exams in order 293 - 294 - 298. 293 would have helped you on 284 becasue of the advanced networking and cluster topics. Ditch the MSPress 293 training kit and pick up the Syngress book and the Microsoft Windows Server(TM) 2003 PKI and Certificate Security instead. After you finish 294 and 298, you will be set up nicely for both the Messaging and Security specializations. After you complete the MCSE and any specializations you could move on to the Exchange 2007 exams.
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    congratz on passing tho and hope you do well on future exams!icon_thumright.gif
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Claymoore wrote: »
    I recommend you stick with the MCSE track and take the exams in order 293 - 294 - 298. 293 would have helped you on 284 becasue of the advanced networking and cluster topics. Ditch the MSPress 293 training kit and pick up the Syngress book and the Microsoft Windows Server(TM) 2003 PKI and Certificate Security instead. After you finish 294 and 298, you will be set up nicely for both the Messaging and Security specializations. After you complete the MCSE and any specializations you could move on to the Exchange 2007 exams.

I second Claymoore's advice, but with one caveat. What does your boss think is more important for you? If your boss believes the Exchange 2007 exams are more important (ie they might influence your next raise) I would go with that and then finish the MCSE.

If you intend on staying at this job for a while, I might consider not taking the MCSE: Messaging as MS is discontinuing the mainstream support for Exchange 2003. I would look at it like this:
    * I plan on staying 2+ more years at my current position
    * They do not and have never used Exchange 2003
    * I have no experience migrating from 2003 to 2007
    * What benefit would I gain from the MCSE Messaging?

It's a lot of study time and money you would invest in that cert. It should pay off for you in some way. 15 hours of study, $50 for a book, $100 for testing software, $125 for the exam....

With that said, if your boss has no opinion follow Claymoore's advice as the overlap in the exam knowledge will make it easier for you to study and pass. I took the 291 and passed and then took the 293 only a few weeks later because I had already studied most of the objectives.