Has MS exams changed?

mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
Just passed 284, scored 804. Really buzzed about that; it's the first time I passed an exam on the first go.
This one seemed different. I was expecting typical essay length questions, like the 294 exam. Instead their were alot of short, to the point questions to quickly get through. Took 1hr 25 to complete.
Think I was very lucky; only 2 cluster qu's and no actual migration 5.5 qu's. It makes me think that MS has revised this exam recently, although seems unlikely.

Glad to have this one in the bag. Guess it's back to try 291 again after failing it many times over a year ago. Might take a break from MS first and hit ITIL for a change of pace.

Comments

• rjbarlowrjbarlow Member Posts: 411
    In the truth I had a quite different experience on the 70-284 in the initial of February, I recall that as the tougher exam I taken ever, having had a lot of questions on various scenarios and almost every connector, between fifteen and twenty, some of them truly long. Some questions not too difficult or easy, some very tricky on clustering and DNS; on some of them I was able to answer right only after studied that specified topic, in fact the second time was good for me.
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music

WIP: 70-236, 70-293 and MCSE.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It depends on the exam. Just wait until you take a design exam ;)

Congratulations on the pass!
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    It depends on the exam. Just wait until you take a design exam ;)

Congratulations on the pass!

haha yeah I'll probably be wishing for the good old days of 284 & 291.
    rjbarlow wrote: »
    In the truth I had a quite different experience on the 70-284 in the initial of February, I recall that as the tougher exam I taken ever, having had a lot of questions on various scenarios and almost every connector, between fifteen and twenty, some of them truly long. Some questions not too difficult or easy, some very tricky on clustering and DNS; on some of them I was able to answer right only after studied that specified topic, in fact the second time was good for me.

Yeah guess i was real lucky on this one. I struggled through the study books and was expecting a tough one like 291.
    Did you have any questions on 5.5 migration? Wondering if that topic has been dropped.
  • rjbarlowrjbarlow Member Posts: 411
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    Did you have any questions on 5.5 migration? Wondering if that topic has been dropped.
    I had few questions on coexistence with 5.5 systems, more then migration, no more than three though.
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music

WIP: 70-236, 70-293 and MCSE.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Just passed 284, scored 804. Really buzzed about that; it's the first time I passed an exam on the first go.

284 was the easiest Microsoft exam I've taken IMO with the exception of 237 and maybe 620. But then again I supported Exchange for Microsoft Premier Support, so I'm not exactly representative of the typical 284 exam taker. icon_wink.gif
    Good luck to all!
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    284 was the easiest Microsoft exam I've taken IMO with the exception of 237 and maybe 620. But then again I supported Exchange for Microsoft Premier Support, so I'm not exactly representative of the typical 284 exam taker. icon_wink.gif

General consensus in this forum has been that this is a difficult exam. An Exchange admin will of course find it lot easier than most.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    General consensus in this forum has been that this is a difficult exam. An Exchange admin will of course find it lot easier than most.

I took this exam in 2005. The exam might have changed since.
    Good luck to all!
  • steve77uksteve77uk Member Posts: 48 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations,

I was going to do SQL 2005, however just cannot get into it!

Have made up my mind to switch to 284 instead...

What materials did you use? I hear MS Press book is not that good for this?
    A+ | Network+ | MCSA 2003 | MCSE 2003 | MCSA: Messaging 2003 | VCP 410

Now need 2008 Enterprise AND Exchange 2010 :cry:
    steve77uk wrote: »
    Congratulations,

I was going to do SQL 2005, however just cannot get into it!

Have made up my mind to switch to 284 instead...

What materials did you use? I hear MS Press book is not that good for this?

Yeah, MSPress was a real let down for this one. Still useful though for some parts. Went through the Stickys and a few webpages.
    A workmate gave me a .chm file called Learning Exchange Server 2003 by William Boswell. It was easily the best tutorial on Exch03 I had seen. Very easy to read and realistic. It will even tell you why your lab build isn't working after you follow all the instructions (uncanny at times).
    Built a VM domain at home and just made sure I understood all the concepts (failed trying to get my cluster to work though).

Good luck, also I know what you mean about SQL.