Natural progression up from A+

Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
What is the natural process upward (certs-wise) after getting one's A+? I love the hands-on work, and I don't want to go into administration if it means doing mainly software configurations (like one would do with an MCSE). I suppose one could be a helpdesk supervisor or something, but is there anything else further up the career ladder than this? I want to find something that's also going to pay the bills, so unless helpdesk can eventually progress to $40k/yr., I would want something that could support a family.

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Dr_Atomic wrote: »
    What is the natural process upward (certs-wise) after getting one's A+? I love the hands-on work, and I don't want to go into administration if it means doing mainly software configurations (like one would do with an MCSE). I suppose one could be a helpdesk supervisor or something, but is there anything else further up the career ladder than this? I want to find something that's also going to pay the bills, so unless helpdesk can eventually progress to $40k/yr., I would want something that could support a family.

Natural process ? Depends what you want to do. Some stay with more CompTIA exams, others fall into the MS and some will venture into Cisco. What do you find interesting? Then follow that path.

As far as getting a job to earn $40K? Good luck. Depends on where you live, where you work, and what skills you bring to the company. If you want to have the best chance of that sort of income, work for yourself. If your sites are set to 'help desk' those sorts of positions (if still available) fall between $10-$15 maybe as much as $18 per hour, but very, few. Fairly common to see $12 p/h just depends on the business and your competition. You may find something higher in Chicago, NY, CA. Possibly even in the NC/SC area.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Natural process ? Depends what you want to do. Some stay with more CompTIA exams, others fall into the MS and some will venture into Cisco. What do you find interesting? Then follow that path.

As far as getting a job to earn $40K? Good luck. Depends on where you live, where you work, and what skills you bring to the company. If you want to have the best chance of that sort of income, work for yourself. If your sites are set to 'help desk' those sorts of positions (if still available) fall between $10-$15 maybe as much as $18 per hour, but very, few. Fairly common to see $12 p/h just depends on the business and your competition. You may find something higher in Chicago, NY, CA. Possibly even in the NC/SC area.

Thats very true. I was once a intern getting paid $12 per hour. That was just last summer with about 4 months or IT experience and now getting paid $20 as a junior net admin.
  • BdeadbuddyBdeadbuddy Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    After reading some of the post on this site, i now consider myself lucky to be where I Am.
    I used to feel i was under paid for the work i'm doing, but you guys made me feel more happy with what I have.
    i've done a course at some private school here in Montreal, Qc, Canada called IT technician - Security.
    i've been working/playing/messing with PC since i was 10 yo...(that's 21 years of experiece !!)
    My first PC was a IBM PC Jr, if anyone remember those... so all the experiences i have is the one i gained by fixing all my issues over time, or for my family and relatives. Also having a lab at home to try new things.
    I finished my course in December 2007, and i've been hired as a Local Site Support Tech (real title they gave me is Site Support Engineer) and i'm above the 40K$CAD/y.

That is for a Junior Site support job, since it was my first real experience i didn't know that all my years of messing around with PC would payoff... but it did and now i'm more considered Level 2-3 when bigger issue arise. can't wait for this year evaluation !!

i'm now going the path for certification, to build up (officially) my knowledge, at least to have something to show on my Resume. A+ in the next weeks to come, then Net+ would be a stepping stone for me if i want to get higher job positions.

All that to say, that with some good knowledge and social skills you can get an entry level job at 40K$ in IT...

Regards